[Football] BT Sport V Klopp

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
#TeamDesKelly all the way.

The clubs agreed and signed up to these schedules and receive a huge amount of cash as a result, with clubs such as Liverpool receiving even more than #TeamsLikeBrighton.

Having just watched it on the Tweet that was posted (I turned off the telly straight after the whistle) I agree totally with you.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Personally always thought it wrong not to continue with five subs as rather obvious will be a lot more injuries this season as will have been playing non stop since May / June restart and pre season was just about longer than an international break

Wilder and Dyche would I guess both prefer three subs

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Not sure he dished it out?

He asked a question about an injury and then Klopp went on a rant about subs/unfairness of fixtures etc

I was probably over generalising a bit there.

Point I was trying to make was that the interviewer was pushing Klopp to get him riled. But couldn’t take it when it was the other way round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thought the BT interviewer was poor.
The producer should also have had a word in his ear, as we never got to hear from Potter due to the disagreement between Klopp and interviewer.
Klopp was making several good points, particularly on the ability to use 5 subs and clearly was having a dig at Wilder.
The 12.30 kick off after a game on Wednesday is something that the TV companies should consider further. It would have been even worse if Liverpool had been away on Wednesday in some far off eastern European team. I accept that BT will want to show more of the top teams in their 12.30 slot, but perhaps it would work better with the managers if they looked to show the PL teams that play on Tuesday in Europe.
A debate that no doubt we will hear more of, as the injuries mount.

This is how I saw it as well. Interviewer was a bit of a plum imho.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was probably over generalising a bit there.

Point I was trying to make was that the interviewer was pushing Klopp to get him riled. But couldn’t take it when it was the other way round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Klopp judging by the end of the midweek match and pre match was angling for a bit of a tussle no matter what went happened on the pitch

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When was it such an issue to play two games in a week? And, what difference does it make if you play at 12.30 or 15.00? Are you really telling me young, fit professional athletes need that extra 2.5 hours 3 days after their last game?
Blame these pointless internationals I'd suggest.

EDIT. This has all been mentioned above :)

Kicking off earlier gives him more time to prepare for the next match :whistle:

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Cheer up Jurgen Klopp O what can it be to a toothy German bar steward and a shite football team- repeat lol

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I really like Jurgen Klopp and usually hate overly difficult interviewers, but I disagree with him here and I don't think the interviewer was too bad.

Champions League in the PL have big squads with quality throughout. They receive far more money for playing in the CL and thus can use that money to keep improving and deepening their squad. It's Klopp's responsibility to use that squad to full advantage to ensure that his players don't get injured. There's no God-given right for CL teams to be able to have an easier fixture list/5 sub rule just so they can play their best players week in, week out. I remember when Albion had abut 8 games in March in the run up to promotion in League One back in 2011. Good managers will rotate their squads to ensure the health of their players.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Klopp clearly made a tactical error here by blaming the interviewer for Milner's injury when actually the Premier League clubs (including Liverpool) agreed the slots and that the broadcasters could pick the games. Interviewer points this out to Klopp who realised he was dealing with a live one and went off on a non related tangent (5 subs). On the 5 subs rule, it benefits clubs with bigger higher quality squads (like Liverpool) or lower quality but consistent in terms of ability (like Brighton). Other teams (like Sheffield Utd) will object as they don't have the depth of squad. So clubs will as usual vote to their own benefit.
However, the aspect of this I find most frustrating is that despite the top clubs having numerous advantages already, they seek to eliminate even the smallest advantages smaller clubs have (like fixture scheduling and player fatigue). Their greed knows no bounds as can be seen by the furlough miss step and the recent attempted power grab / coup d'état. The interviewer had a tiny go back and Klopp didn't like it.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I really dislike the control that the broadcasters have over the schedule. Especially the short notice which we get to be able to arrange travel to games.

However, teams like Liverpool are privileged to be able to play in Europe. This means that they get huge income not available to lesser domestic clubs. This means that they have the resources to acquire and employ the very best players. And also to have a higher quality depth to their squad so they are able to rotate players and manage the schedule. If they want this extra income and choose to play in Europe then they have to manage the situation. It is sad that they have already brought about the downgrading of the FA Cup which now doesn't even have replays.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Kicking off earlier gives him more time to prepare for the next match :whistle:

Is funny but also the right answer. They play Ajax on Tuesday at 8. They presumably didn't want a Sunday game because of that. Had they had one of the evening slots today the mardy git would have been moaning that they wouldn't have been back in Liverpool until the early hours of Sunday.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just watched the full interview..wasn’t that bad was it? You could say it was more interesting than the usual drivel ..couple of points to make Klipperty took a different attitude to what his players were saying when interviewed by R5 and when they play Sheffield Utd the prematch elbow bump might be interesting

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
It was good to see a top manager losing their cool slightly.

I admire Klopp, he's obviously a great manager and he says what he thinks. He has a knack of articulating his point well but in this instance he was wrong to have a go at the broadcaster for reasons he will be well aware of.

I believe losing Van Djik has really got his hackles up and he knows that his team will struggle in certain games when they wouldn't normally do so, this has set his mood on a slightly tetchy level when presented with things he doesn't agree upon hence todays' rant.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I hated the way that the BBC sugarcoated and heavily edited the interview with Jurgen Stropp smiling throughout at the end of Final Score. An attitude of "it is what it is" with VAR and Auntie must not darken his reputation with him cursing the schedule, injuries (calling out Chris Wilder's name) and wanting in effect five-subs.

Well, the BBC haven't shown Liverpool in a top flight match since 1987 still. They make do with scraps - how apt that Aston Villa v Palarse is shown on Boxing Day. I can already feel a Lineker gag coming on at the end about Christian Ben-turkey missing a late chance in a dreary 1-0 home win.

A Sky interviewer was brave enough to ask Frank Lampard that going 3-0 down to West Brom by half-time can't be in the script when he's spent over £200 million, Shirley? Lampard's response was that the new players were still settling in. Fair enough. Look at their record since. I've digressed away from the main point so:

The BT interviewer was great. Stropp just doesn't like the way the English do things. If it was up to him, he'd abolish the festive fixture list. That's all I heard last season and the one before that. "In Germany we always have a winter break" Well, Jurgen. You're in the English Premier league now bud so get used to it. The pre-season was almost non-existant with the coronavirus playing havoc. We should have followed France and Scotland's decision to declare their champions, promotions and relegations at the time as there were barely many differences. The Premier League were so worried about legal action though.

Jurgen seems to be cracking up with the bad injuries to Van Dijk and Gomez. I understand his frustrations to a point but the Beeb should not be seen to be showing him to be some kind of saint that rescued the title race for years to come by building a formidable team. He threw his toys out of the pram and I don't think he'll enjoy the Sunday papers tomorrow.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Interviewer did well, and it made for a more interesting discussion than usual. I don't think Klopp did much wrong in his response. But another example of the big clubs wanting the riches of the CL and demanding the other EPL clubs accommodate them. **** em.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
BT SPort is like a happy shopper Sky Sports

I hate Sky and particularly the Australian Mr Burns who owns it, but they do a very good job of sport.

BT sport is just pound shop. . .

Klopp is one of the good guys, of course he has a bias to Liverpool, it's his ****ing job!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here