BT outbids Sky and ITV for Champions League

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I guess as a sky subscriber I can't expect a reduction in my sports package costs when this comes in to effect? That would be a bonus for me, as I've just never taken to Chanpions League football (since it stopped being just champions) and honestly don't think I've ever watched a game on Sky.

The CL has always struck me as the ultimate in the rich get richer stakes and to hell with everyone else. I appreciate people enjoy it; and not being on free to air is one more nail in the availability of sport for all. That said, surely this is only the next step in the logical progression of sporting greed?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Whose fans? The four clubs who get to appear each and every year?

Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Tottenham have all been in it in recent years. That's 7 from here.

The there are those who enjoy watching the best football players in the world. I watched Juve vs Real the other night. Phenomenal game.

Same reason I watch most of the matches at a World Cup.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I can only speak for myself but I find the whole Champions League tiresome.

The first round of games are played in front of far from capacity crowds many of which are forced to buy tickets if they want season tickets such as Man Utd fans.

The only people who appear interested are the money men.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I must admit, I am sort of glad. Sky have enjoyed too much of a monopoly for too long. Having said that, as a BT broadband customer (who therefore gets BT sport), I am a little biased.

I wouldn't be surprised if BT sport becomes a subscription channel in a few years, once they have they viewer numbers up. I do like what they are doing in general, but they do not really have enough on to fill two channels yet.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I must admit, I am sort of glad. Sky have enjoyed too much of a monopoly for too long. Having said that, as a BT broadband customer (who therefore gets BT sport), I am a little biased.

I wouldn't be surprised if BT sport becomes a subscription channel in a few years, once they have they viewer numbers up. I do like what they are doing in general, but they do not really have enough on to fill two channels yet.

I believe it will be subscription from next season. It was only this season you got BT TV free if you were a broadband customer.

Just a promotion.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I believe it will be subscription from next season. It was only this season you got BT TV free if you were a broadband customer.

Just a promotion.

Bugger.

I have been really enjoying their Rugby coverage. But I wouldn't pay to subscribe - just like I have never subscribed to sky.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would be amusing if no English team got into the knock-out stages, next year.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
They still have to show a certain number of games free to air. Which will easily cover the one Champions League game a week ITV currently show, and we don't have to listen to Tyldesley, Chiles or Townsend. Sounds good to me.

will we still definitely get a game a week as we have been getting?
will we still get knockout games like on itv?

from what i've read, we will get less games. either way it sounds like a loss

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Bugger.

I have been really enjoying their Rugby coverage. But I wouldn't pay to subscribe - just like I have never subscribed to sky.

Indeed....and this is where BT will expect a lot of income to come from. Champions league will be JUST enough to persude people to subscribe.

Also I imagine they will start a whole new range of new promotions for new customers to broadband that year. ie Sign up to bt broadband and get 1 year free of BT sport-now with exlusive Champions league coverage.

On a sub note I've watched my BT sport for a few games this year and they are OK but Mark Halsey as part of the commentary team is WOEFUL.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They still have to show a certain number of games free to air. Which will easily cover the one Champions League game a week ITV currently show, and we don't have to listen to Tyldesley, Chiles or Townsend. Sounds good to me.

Each British team once and the Final isn't it? Not even close to the quantity of current terrestrial coverage.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Apologies hadn't realised this had fixtured elsewhere... Busy weekend :drink:

At least its not for another 2 years!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Just a promotion.

i dont think so. bearing in mind that their broadband is roughly the same as most others give or take a £, having a free football game included in the broadband cost has attracted/retained alot of customers. if the football is pay for, that number reduces dramatically. alot might stay out of laziness but its pretty easy to change broadband and alot will move for the lastest offer elsewhere or just to spite them.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
I wonder if Bt will be as good as Sky at getting illegal feeds taken down across the Internet ???

D

Deleted member 18477

Sure..............don't forget subscriptions. Like sky do.

You seriously think everyones subscription money pays for all of sky's current sporting rights? Company's pay top whack to have adverts during high profile sport fixtures. Much the same as they do for X factor or Corries Xmas day slot.

It's a mix of adverts and subscriptions. Adverts generate the most money though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports