Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
I'm in WSL (north end) and I always think he looks class in front of me. Coincidentally, this is the area of the pitch that KLL always does his magic.
Have to agree with this, Bruno should have been MOM on Saturday and he was very strong last night. He does make the occasional mistake, but who doesnt? KLL down the left in front of the Lower West is magic. Last night his impact changed the dynamic of the team, Oscar timed it to perfection.
All in all a very enjoyable game and a brilliant result.

Yoda

English & European
Probably been our most consistent player since Crofts got injured. Yes he has the occasional stray pass, miskicked cross, or missed challenge, but who doesn't? Barring that I think he deserves a hell of a lot more praise than people have been giving him. There was a time I used to dread his name on the starting 11 at the begining of the season as he was so poor back then, but no longer. I feel he bring so much to the team now in defence AND attack.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
There was a thread after the Reading game saying pretty much the same thing about Ward, after he was given a torrid time by Drenthe and, as someone with a good memory indicated, Birmingham's Burke.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ward is better defensively, may have had 2/3 shaky games but generally very consistent. Bruno is one of our best attacking players, no doubt in my mind. His defending can be suspect at times though, it's swings and roundabouts, if you had a 'complete' fullback they'd be playing in the Premiership. I think he's improved massively from some of his performances last season though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One of our best players. Simple as that.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He likes it here? His daughter is settled into a good school. If he stopped making mistakes he'd be treated like a god by the fans, who wouldn't want a nice canvas silhouette of themselves adorning the road round the ground?

I mean come on, there's more to life that £40k+ a week!!

*switches off sarcasm*

As in he would never have been available to come here in the first place. He'd still be playing in La Liga.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I love that shiny-headed deliverer of magical dare. Once some turn against a player, their every fault is worthy of a screeched profanity, when really their OVERALL performance can easily make a game for us. Other than the goal, i don't remember Ward there last night, either under pressure from the moneybaggers or in attack. That meant everything went through Bruno and his ability to weight a pass either perfectly to feet or behind the fullback whilst it clings to the bright white lines. Amazing to watch. An outrageous talent and seems a funloving good egg of a character. I bloody hope he stays.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Stoke fans couldn't believe Bruno was signing for us - he'd torn them a new one in the Europa League the season before.

He is amazingly skilful. It's a real treat to have a player of that technical ability playing for us.

I don't normally bother with Player highlights but this morning I can't wait to see how he created that goal last night again.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I can't quite understand people's reactions to Bruno. He's been utter class all calendar year now, and probably for longer than that.
I do appreciate that he makes the odd mistake (there were a few unforced errors and misplaced passes last night, for instance), but:
-- he made a number of brilliant interceptions where he got to the ball ahead of their forward; these weren't 50-50 balls, they were more like 40-60, and it wasn't just last night that he's made these
-- his understanding of the game, and how to win back the ball is outstanding. The amount of times he feigns to head the ball from a goal kick for instance, and then withdraws so the ball runs out of play, and we get the throw-in is significant. He is also brilliant at using his body to shield a moving ball.
-- his skill level for a right back would challenge most Premier League players playing in that position; his control of the ball is, once again, outstanding. Because he dares to use this skill, we have to accept that the gamble will sometimes fail, but more often than not, it succeeds, and opens up some time and space to launch an attack.
-- he gets forward, and uses the ball intelligently. Look at The Argus piece today where Ulloa indicated that Bruno had told him that he would cross low and hard in the eventuality of getting into a position on the basis that Hill and Dunne are excellent in the air.

I suspect that much of the hostility to Bruno on NSC is because he's cramping many from exercising their man-love for Calde on a more regular basis.
Plenty of people are becoming increasingly vociferous in calling for Ward to be signed up. I like Ward, but given the choice between us signing Ward and us renewing Bruno's contract, I know which one I'd go for.

Absolutely Spot On :thumbsup:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Bruno is class and seems to be on a good run in terms of form, fitness and consistency - apart from the odd clanger in defence of course.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Someone in this thread has commented that Bruno 'can be class one match, and terrible the next'. The more accurate assessment would be that he can be class one MINUTE and a liability the next.

He's good value, is Bruno. Very entertaining, but I absolutely DO understand the flak he gets, because his shortcomings are all self inflicted:

Concentration - he's just not all there. Moments like the one which ought to have cost us a point in the Reading game, are far too common. His pointless concession of a corner, DID cost us a point v Wigan.

Complacency - he's a very skillful footballer is Bruno, but not QUITE as good as he thinks. Sometimes when he's robbed of the ball, it because he's taking stupid risks, because he thinks he's too good for his man. MOST of the time he's right.

Backing off - this is his biggest flaw. In this respect, its like watching El Abd in 2007! Someone skillful runs at him, and he backs off, and off, and off, until he's in the box and can't risk a tackle. He did this half a dozen times v Hoilet last night, and its dangerous.

In short, he gets the stick BECAUSE he IS talented. If he were shit, you'd find the mistakes more forgivable.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Only complaint from last night regarding Bruno, was when he took a dig at their winger, and got a booking he really shouldn't have had.
Apart from that, some brilliant flashes of skill, including the set up for the first goal, and always entertaining to watch, as you never know what piece of skill he may bring out next. :clap:

What booking was that then? I only saw one booking and that was for Lingard. Admittedly I had to leave early (just before the second goal) but the BBC website seems to confirm only one booking last night (from a very poor ref).

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
What booking was that then? I only saw one booking and that was for Lingard. Admittedly I had to leave early (just before the second goal) but the BBC website seems to confirm only one booking last night (from a very poor ref).
Beg pardon. I thought he got a booking. Saturdays ref would have booked him! Just don't need those silly things to creep into his game, with a important run-in to come, and some very iffy referees in this division.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I thought he was outstanding last night. He has been much improved of late. Great assist for the first goal too. He was my joint MOM last night along with TK.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Someone in this thread has commented that Bruno 'can be class one match, and terrible the next'. The more accurate assessment would be that he can be class one MINUTE and a liability the next.

He's good value, is Bruno. Very entertaining, but I absolutely DO understand the flak he gets, because his shortcomings are all self inflicted:

Concentration - he's just not all there. Moments like the one which ought to have cost us a point in the Reading game, are far too common. His pointless concession of a corner, DID cost us a point v Wigan.

Complacency - he's a very skillful footballer is Bruno, but not QUITE as good as he thinks. Sometimes when he's robbed of the ball, it because he's taking stupid risks, because he thinks he's too good for his man. MOST of the time he's right.

Backing off - this is his biggest flaw. In this respect, its like watching El Abd in 2007! Someone skillful runs at him, and he backs off, and off, and off, until he's in the box and can't risk a tackle. He did this half a dozen times v Hoilet last night, and its dangerous.

In short, he gets the stick BECAUSE he IS talented. If he were shit, you'd find the mistakes more forgivable.

I concur with most of this but the main point a lot. On Saturday he won the ball back outstandingly and then stupidly gave it away within seconds.

He has been really good going forward for the last month or so, and he has now decided to try and win headers but some parts of his defensive work are very poor. At least once a game he will try and hack at the winger and miss, considering the abuse Lopez gets for missing tackles he pulls out a lot and wingers walk past with ease quite a few times.
Also last night trying to hold on to a 0-0 and being deprived of the ball for large spells, is not the time to arse around needlessly near your own penalty area.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008

Completely agree. My somewhat 'detailed analysis' of his display in last nights MoM thread was 'Absolute shite for the first 75 minutes, abdolutely superb for the last 15'.

I wasn't 'Bruno bashing' - I absolutely love Bruno - he is real class, and a truly exciting player to watch.

However, last night he had big lapses of concentration, gave the ball away too many times, and - as mentioned by others - backed off far too much, allowing QPR far to much room in our penalty area.

However, his contribution - skill / flair - for our first goal was absolutely tree-mend-arse !

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Some of the criticism of defenders seems to be based on if they are not scything down a fleet footed winger then they aren't strong enough in the tackle.

Bruno is actually a very very good defender. But in his case it is down to anticipation and technique.

He consistently guides his opponent outside, often steals the ball when they make a mistake and last night he made a ton of interceptions.

On top of that when he has to get stuck in, he does, but as he isn't built like a tank it's not a high percentage thing for him to do.

As for closing down. When he is running back to defend and the winger is running at him, if he commits or closes him down then a pacey winger will find it much easier to go past him. Especially as Bruno is a bit older and lacking in pace. I don't know if anyone remembers Blanc when he played for Man Utd, but when the opposition broke he would run in a straight line back to a defensive position, rather than close down the defender. It's what technically adept defenders who've lost their pace do.

I often hear him getting berated for not getting back after rampaging forwards.... Even when a midfielder is covering for him. It's like people don't understand how a team works. PLus they don't seem to get that he's just sprinted to get into an attacking position, and that means he will need some time to recover (even if it is 20 seconds). A football player (at his peak) cannot sprint at full speed for 90 minutes. If they could they wouldn't be a football player they'd be an elite level running athlete.

On top of all that he is flairtastic IN THE EXTREME when it comes to what he can do with a football.

Of course he has flaws, but if he didn't have them he would, as has already been said, be playing at a higher level.

I love watching him play, and if you don't then you're missing out.

PS> I think Calde is awesome, but Bruno is awesome and a little bit more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here