Bruno: Forgive or Forget?

• Forgive

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • Forget

Votes: 29 48.3%

• Total voters

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Oh good, another vaguely interesting thread with an off topic Swansman essay in. Yawn

Bruno will rightly cop some stick but death threats are beyond the pale, very sad. I still love the guy and appreciate it must have been an upsetting decision, until the end of the month when his salary comes through.

No one knows if there actually were any death threats etc. NSC does like to be outraged though.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
There's 2 elements.

The first and obvious part is the total twunts that threaten any form of violence over an employee of a football club are out of order, if the police catch them, you'd hope the club will take action. There's simply no place to threaten someone nor their families.

The second part about having no choice, I'm calling BS if he said that, of course I'd expect Bruno would have loved to maintain his revered status among albion fans, and you'd guess the grumbling normal (non knuckle dragger) fans backlash has taken him aback, so its easy to try and then paint it this way to absolve himself of the genuine upset it caused some real fans.

He did have a choice, if he really wanted to stay, he could've gone to Bloom (both he and Barber, its alleged, expected Bruno and Roberts to stay), and as a Spanish speaker with all our Spanish speaking lads, it sounds like they wanted him to stay. At the very least I'm guessing it wouldn't have been too hard to negotiate his position at Chelsea, and to sign that contract in a month rather than under 48 hours. There's a million genuine reasons you could give, to keep his options open and see if the new man wanted him (which assumes Bloom couldn't insist he stayed for continuity, just like David Weir stays etc). He could still have gone to Chelsea if not wanted here imho.

I just don't believe this. He simply wanted to go, money, challenge, status, whatever, he chose to leave without seeing if he could have actually stayed.

I'm sure he loved it here, but he wasn't forced out and I'm convinced he could've stayed if he really wanted that. He didn't.

Very good post , says it all .

I always thought Bruno was going to be at The Albion for the duration , it just never occurred that he would leave unless to return to Spain , anything else just didn`t seem on the cards .

As for anyone making threats of any description against him or his family , as with many others here , i hope they are caught - named and shamed , and receive the highest penalties from both the authorities and our club .

Always loved the "El Capitan" mural and the love us supporters had for him , i would like to believe that wont change over something as base as money , given the 10 wonderful years he has left us with .:bhasign::bhasign::bhasign:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No one knows if there actually were any death threats etc. NSC does like to be outraged though.

More than it likes to scream "Judas Bruno you ****ing traitor, you're not welcome here anymore! Greedy *******!" one week and then pretend to Mother Teresa the next one?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
More than it likes to scream "Judas Bruno you ****ing traitor, you're not welcome here anymore! Greedy *******!" one week and then pretend to Mother Teresa the next one?

What a load of crap. You do realise it is possible for people to be angry and annoyed that Bruno left for Chelsea but still feel empathy for the situation he now finds himself in with the unwarranted abuse he is receiving.

A vast majority of people on NSC were upset and hurt that he left but the abuse he received on here would have been in the minority. Don't let that stop you sticking the boot in yet again and painting yourself as holier than thou while we are all sub-human scum. If the way we act bothers you so much then you don't have to be here, after all your messiah has left the building so feel free to follow him.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Some of what post really is irksome - without just cause... not much better than those you seek to reproach.

You have a habit of bullying certain posters - it’s not pleasant. Glass houses, stones.

Just try to calm down a wee bit - when you get to my age, you’ll mellow and you won’t look back on some of the things you’ve said on here with much pride.

Take it from me, I know better than you could ever know.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Good post. Every club has a group of utter ****s for fans. Some clubs (I’m looking at you Leeds) have way more than their fair share, but some have very few; we are one of those clubs.

It’s very sad that their message seems to have got through. But when Bruno has enough experience to apply for a manager role at our club (and let’s face it, he is learning from one of the best), I’ll welcome him back with open arms.

A sad sign of general society these days. I’m sure Bruno is old and wise enough to realise that people will be disappointed and some will over step

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I was sad and a bit upset that he left but I'm getting over it now.

I am not sure that I agree with the 'he would have been fine if he stayed' argument. If TB and PB find a Manager that they REALLY REALLY want, and that person wants to bring in their own team, then I am quite sure that whilst they might have found a role for Bruno it may well not have been what he wanted.

I can't see that they'd ever say ' you've got to keep Bruno on in X role or it's a deal breaker' in their negotiations. Would we really contemplate losing a really good Manager if that was the stumbling block?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was sad and a bit upset that he left but I'm getting over it now.

I am not sure that I agree with the 'he would have been fine if he stayed' argument. If TB and PB find a Manager that they REALLY REALLY want, and that person wants to bring in their own team, then I am quite sure that whilst they might have found a role for Bruno it may well not have been what he wanted.

I can't see that they'd ever say ' you've got to keep Bruno on in X role or it's a deal breaker' in their negotiations. Would we really contemplate losing a really good Manager if that was the stumbling block?

That’s fair, but even with GP, initially he was quite clearly behind Billy and Bjorn. Bruno is a clever chap and a promising coach, I am sure he would have learnt more from the incoming coach, whilst proving his value.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
That’s fair, but even with GP, initially he was quite clearly behind Billy and Bjorn. Bruno is a clever chap and a promising coach, I am sure he would have learnt more from the incoming coach, whilst proving his value.

When Potter joined Bruno had just retired from playing and had never coached before, he was always going to be behind Billy who was assistant first team coach and Bjorn who had been working with Potter since 2011. It was up to Bruno to prove himself to GP, show he was trustworthy and slowly take on more responsibility, which he clearly did, so much so we find ourselves in this situation now and Bruno has gone with Potter because they clearly rate each other.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am sure he would have learnt more from the incoming coach, whilst proving his value.

I don't know how you can be sure, in the absolute literal sense.

We don't know who the new manager is yet, we don't know what team he will bring with him and we don't know what role Bruno would have played in the new setup.

Beyond that, he is now coaching absolute elite world-class players who are competing at the very highest level.

Beyond that 2: he will be learning about what it's like to move to a new club, where everything is unfamiliar, where respect of a new group of players will need to be earned - exactly the thing that happens when a manager arrives at a new club. At the Albion he was part of the furniture - he moved from playing to coaching and, although the squad has gradually evolved, he has been coaching players he played with.

He has a huge amount to learn with his move to Chelsea, so I don't know how anyone can be absolutely sure there was more to learn by staying where he was.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't know how you can be sure, in the absolute literal sense.

We don't know who the new manager is yet, we don't know what team he will bring with him and we don't know what role Bruno would have played in the new setup.

Beyond that, he is now coaching absolute elite world-class players who are competing at the very highest level.

Beyond that 2: he will be learning about what it's like to move to a new club, where everything is unfamiliar, where respect of a new group of players will need to be earned - exactly the thing that happens when a manager arrives at a new club. At the Albion he was part of the furniture - he moved from playing to coaching and, although the squad has gradually evolved, he has been coaching players he played with.

He has a huge amount to learn with his move to Chelsea, so I don't know how anyone can be absolutely sure there was more to learn by staying where he was.

To me there is very little benefit in staying with the same coach who is more than likely to use similar (proven) techniques with a different set of players. There is limited increased learning in terms of coaching and style, than he has already seen for 3 years.

A new coach will offer a completely different experience in all manner of areas, I accept the point around a different club, but having played at a top level, he would pick things up. As a player, you learn from every coach you play under, and as a coach the learning continues to a greater extent.

Bruno would have even learnt as a player from Hyypia!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
When Potter joined Bruno had just retired from playing and had never coached before, he was always going to be behind Billy who was assistant first team coach and Bjorn who had been working with Potter since 2011. It was up to Bruno to prove himself to GP, show he was trustworthy and slowly take on more responsibility, which he clearly did, so much so we find ourselves in this situation now and Bruno has gone with Potter because they clearly rate each other.

Well, yes, and that’s what I’ve stated in previous posts in terms of proving himself, but IMO he remained behind them on match days.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Well, yes, and that’s what I’ve stated in previous posts in terms of proving himself, but IMO he remained behind them on match days.

They had very specific roles on match, certainly for a vast majority of the last 3 seasons Bruno sat in the stands with a watching brief and at half time/full time he’d use a laptop to review certain moments with players to show them what they did well and could have done better. That doesn’t mean his contribution was any less valued or important that the other two.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They had very specific roles on match, certainly for a vast majority of the last 3 seasons Bruno sat in the stands with a watching brief and at half time/full time he’d use a laptop to review certain moments with players to show them what they did well and could have done better. That doesn’t mean his contribution was any less valued or important that the other two.

When GP considered tactical changes he went with the other two in the main.

The review via the laptop was more about the opposition and was more aimed at those coming on. Of course, I don’t what was said at half-time, so quite possibly, you are right re individuals, but my seat gives me a good perspective around bench activity.

D

Deleted member 2719

Bruno has been receiving a lot of abuse since his decision to move as well as death threats and whilst Bruno and his family are still living in Brighton , they are seriously considering whether they should move out of our city because of the amount and level of abuse .

I want to say that as Brighton fans , we are far better than this and no one should be directing any abuse towards him full stop .

I was ashamed when I heard this . I respectfully ask that if anyone knows anyone that is in any way involved in this abuse that they speak to them and make them aware that it needs to stop immediately. It is completely unacceptable.

Thank you for reading .

That is discussing we have some proper nutjobs as fans.:wanker::wanker:

We have a few on here, maybe these Bruno haters can step forward now.:rant:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
In a friendly debate with a nsc'er at the time, I said that I didn't hold any animosity towards Bruno. A long servant, he'd more than paid back us back.

I hope he succeeds as a manager one day and it's with us!
Yeah then he would jump ship with the first decent offer he gets ,

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I have some information to share that has come from a source very close to Bruno . I can’t tell you who , but it is a very close source to him and this is not speculation by me this is factual . This information is first hand .

Bruno did not wish to leave the club but he understandably could not be given any guarantees that whoever the new manager is would want to keep him in his senior coaching role . Bruno’s ultimate aim is to become a manager in his own right . Because if this he decided it was best to accept the offer to move with Potter along with the increased financial offer which was too good to turn down

So which came first ' the chicken or the egg '? So had he been guaranteed his existing role he would have turned down the silly money offered by Chelsea? What nonsense he was always going to go and that's quite clever to subtly suggest that Albion were perhaps slightly at fault for not providing a guarantee.

I might add that I in no way condone abuse of his family and death threats. That's totally out of order. However, let's imagine that on occasion he gets called a name in the street. Not nice undoubtedly but let's not forget he's getting well compensated by Chelsea and as a pro footballer he's been accustomed to hordes of opposition fans giving him stick and dealt with it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The world it seems is full of absolute ****wits. Social media appears to amplify their ****wittery to disproportionately high levels.

Beyond that, if death threats or anything overly abusive have been sent to Bruno you'd hope that the perpetrators can and will be identified and dealt with accordingly.

Bruno has done an incredible amount for this club and city on and off the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here