Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno now misses two games

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bruno is streets ahead of Calderon.
In fact, he is streets ahead of most of the right backs in this country.

If the bloke reads some of the nonsense on here, he must think that half of Brighton have never seen a football match before.

Or maybe most people understand the importance of not giving the ball away cheaply and you don't?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

If the bloke reads some of the nonsense on here, he must think that half of Brighton have never seen a football match before.

Crap

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

This is the biggest load of crap I've read on here for a long time. Bruno has plenty of skill, but far too often he's a liability when it comes to the defensive side of his game, and he's a fricking DEFENDER.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Couldn't give a toss about the 'stats'. Bruno is class. Plenty of people exercise man love to Calde.
That is all.

You don't believe in the league table then.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He *was* class. He makes far too many defensive mistakes to be considered class nowadays, but I guess that is why he no longer plays at the 4th biggest club in La Liga. What I will say is that he is no worse than Calde despite what many people say on here. In an ideal world you'd pick one or the other based on the opposition's strengths and weaknesses, but that comes at a cost of unsettling the back four.

And stats in football are generally a load of shìt. They are rarely meaningful except the obvious stat of which team has scored the most goals. And even then, the difference between Calde and Bruno's stats are not significant so it seems particularly stupid to use them to justify Calde's place in the team.

Agree with most of this Simster, and your earlier post (55) even more so. I started a thread identifying certain of Bruno's qualities a few weeks ago, and there were some good critical comments made on it, by Hans Kraay Fan Club (I think).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You don't believe in the league table then.

It's not a question of believing in the league table. It's there in black and white, although it will differ come 5pm on Saturday. Your stats comparing Bruno and Calde are hardly conclusive in the first place, and are a far less reliable guide than the league table. I'd suggest that a better approach would be to look at the arguments on this thread, and look to Hans Kraay's comments. Despite what he claims, he's not 'The voice of reason', but he makes some good critical comments of Bruno:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?297186-Bruno&highlight=

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
To be seen in a more positive light by supporters I sometimes think it is best to either (a) leave - i.e. Ashley Barnes or (b) sit on the bench - i.e. Calderon.

I love Calderon - but his defending can be iffy at times - he is not that swift and tends to be vulnerable around the outside. He is perfectly good enough for us - but so is Bruno - and Bruno is more of a danger to the opposition going foward.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The one stat I would like to know is how many crosses/shots come in from his side compared to the very good defender Ward's side.

Great news, for all the Bruno lovers look long and hard at the stats, Calderon creates more, scores more, defends better, gets far less bookings, gets back better, puts in more effort and doesn't rely on those around him to cover for his ineptitude.

He's been pony of late, lacking in confidence and can only pass in two directions - sideways and backwards.

Okay, was only watching the stream but I reckon Bruno played 9 backward passes to every one that went forward, and of the 10 [guess] forward passes he made all match, 9 went to a Blackburn player

As you asked for some, here are some Bruno stats from last night.

Passes 47, completed 37 (79%) (Upson 42/35 83%)

Forward passes 27, the remaining 20 were sideways or backwards passes.
(Forster-Caskey made 35 passes of which 23 were sideways or backwards)
(Ulloa made 37 passes, of which 26 were sideways or backwards)

Tackles 7, won 3 (Upson made 2 tackles, both of which he won)

3 Clearances (Upson 8)

58% of his time was spent in the Brighton half.

Bruno made more passes than Ward, and more of them were completed passes.

So there you go, some stats, make of them what you will.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Pretty damning stats from JFC. As supposedly the most advanced/forward thinking player of midfield 3, 2/3rds of his passes were backwards or sideways.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good. He needed a 'rest'

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
not a big fan of Bruno because of his lack of discipline and fancy flicks that put us in trouble.

I'd love Calde to be a bit quicker because his competitiveness and spirit are a joy. Sadly his lack of pace gets exploited by the savvy managers and his tendancy to get yellow carded in the 40 - 45th minute leaves him on a tight rope with his tackling for the rest of the match.

Every now and then he plays a blinder so lets hope he has a few on the trot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here