Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bruce gone

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Who is actually available at the moment, that isn't going to be a caretaker and would they want to come at the moment?

Assuming Newcastle are going for the big guns in the next couple of years, who will want to come in, knowing its only a relatively short term gig at most, until they are in a position to attract the Klopps, Peps, or Bielsas (i jest) , Zidanes etc .

I cant see any of the real A list jumping ship to a club deep in relegation trouble even after only 8 games, and the same with players come January, the players and manager they really want wont go until they are at least a secure mid-top 10 team however much money you chuck at them

So do you go for steady Eddie, and is he really an upgrade on Steve Bruce, or one of the dinosaurs (Big Sam for example) to try and keep you in the league , or even poach an up and coming (Potteresque) type. I really dont think Potter is a realistic fit for either club or him, especially as the Brighton gig is all starting to bear fruit right now

I assume they have something lined up, and it will be interesting to watch what happens. It could be a car crash of spectacular proportions if they have miscalculated the pulling power of St James Park and the Saudi ££££££

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
the 8m was a contract Ashley agreed last summer.

Clever as probably knew this takeover was happening so costs the saudis a bit ( wont mean anything but a little win )

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I always had a high regard for Bruce, at least in the way he conducted himself. Not for his results obviously.

He came across well in interview, with a certain humility and a complete absence of arrogance and belligerence that you sometimes see in other managers.

I wish him well.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I always had a high regard for Bruce, at least in the way he conducted himself. Not for his results obviously.

He came across well in interview, with a certain humility and a complete absence of arrogance and belligerence that you sometimes see in other managers.

I wish him well.

Yep as a person couldn't agree more.

And let us give some respect to the new ownership in letting him have his 1000 game before sacking him...probably the same principle of the last meal for condemned prisoners back home.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m sure there won’t be a shortage of willing applicants for the vacant job but I think if I was one of them I’d rather wait till the end of the season - whatever division they are in because I can’t see January being enough for them to turn personnel round. So I can see the caretaker manager taking them all but down first

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Of course it makes it trickier. A new manager bounce the fans being much more behind the team, players trying to impress the new manager.

The ideal scenario was a lame duck Steve Bruce limping on until after our game. This is not good for us.

Don’t be daft manager bounce is a myth and the players are shite. That lot trying to be more expansive would surely see them relegated

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I quite like Steve Bruce. Not enough to want him to be our manager, but I still like him. Just strikes me as an honest, down-to-earth football person. But of course that's never enough for a Massive Club.

He blotted his copybook in his transition from Palace to Birmingham didn't he?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Of course it makes it trickier. A new manager bounce the fans being much more behind the team, players trying to impress the new manager.

The ideal scenario was a lame duck Steve Bruce limping on until after our game. This is not good for us.

Claudio Ranieri done well

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Pardew's under contract, isn't he? Maybe they'll bring him back in ???

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Bruce out Potter in according to rumour on Facebook��

I believe GP has more integrity than to get webbed up with the dodgy new owners and their blood money. How I would laugh to see them struggle to recruit anybody because of their human rights record.......but there will always be someone prepared to sell themselves out to that shower of s**t.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The new owners obviously thought to let Steve Bruce manage his 1,000th match before giving him the chop. How decent of them. I hope he takes some time out now to enjoy himself - maybe the Ashes if they're allowing England fans into Australia? (although I doubt that). A very decent man and I do have sympathy for how it's all ended for him with the club he's always supported.

In January they'll no doubt try to sign the likes of Alexandre Lacazette, Mesut Òzil, Gonzalo Higuaìn, Paul Pogba and other footballing mercenaries.

And new boss to be Frank Lampard. :laugh:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Considering what he had to put up with, Bruce was hard done by there. The fans never wanted him and the owner wanted rid of the club. He kept them up comfortably so he did what he had to do in very difficult circumstances.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
He blotted his copybook in his transition from Palace to Birmingham didn't he?

I can't remember him at all at Palace, for some reason. When I saw his list of clubs today, I was surprised to see Palace mentioned.

All seems a very long time ago ... but, for some reason, Bruce's playing days at United seem fairly recent. Time and space clearly warp around the man.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'd love it if they appoined Keegan.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Somebody was bigging up Steven Gerrard on the radio last week - so it won't be him,

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't remember him at all at Palace, for some reason. When I saw his list of clubs today, I was surprised to see Palace mentioned.

All seems a very long time ago ... but, for some reason, Bruce's playing days at United seem fairly recent. Time and space clearly warp around the man.

Yes he joined Palace, sounding all reasonable like he does, then left for a bigger club after a very short time. I always felt his charming demeanour was a cover for a rather ruthless operator, who later had to learn to feign humility (for example he went back to Wigan having left in a rush to join Palace, who he also left in a rush). Perhaps I'm being harsh. Mark McWhoHe? trod a similar path, jumping ship for 'bigger' clubs only to come down with a bump, ending up slumming it at some club with no proper stadium.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm going to miss that look of total bewilderment he has had on his face the last two seasons when we've played them. He just couldn't fathom at all what Potter and our players were doing as we absolutely ran rings around them. He's so limited compared to Potter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here