Broadchurch

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think I must be alone in thinking that last night's episode was a load of melodramatic (the music) tosh. Quite enjoyed the first series but this just seems surplus to requirements. Also, I can't abide the fact that an ITV one-hour drama is actually 30 minutes of drama and another 30 minutes of tedious ads.

You sound like your avatar Hornblower ! I can see your point about the adverts though. I think I'm right in saying that independent tv stations are limited to something like 8 minutes an hour of tv advertising, however, there is some wiggle room in as such that more advertising is allowed in some hours than others. So, TV companies can sell more advertising at higher rates during well watched programmes like Broadchurch,Downton Abbey etc etc. There has to be a trade off as advertising, along with dvd sales, funds the programming you watch. Frankly there are three models of tv revenue and it is pretty much impossible to watch without having to suffer either.

1, Ad free as in the BBC, but you pay the licence fee for this privilege.

2, Subsription /Advertising such as Sky

3, Adverts and " Sponsorship " such as ITV/4/5

Tv programmes cost money to make and there is no way out of copping for the above. Remember, the likes of David Tennant can sell out as Hamlet for weeks ahead and as such if he does tv acting he wants paying. Anyway, chin up, Celebrity Big Brother and The Voice just around the corner :thumbsup:

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
I think I must be alone in thinking that last night's episode was a load of melodramatic (the music) tosh. Quite enjoyed the first series but this just seems surplus to requirements. Also, I can't abide the fact that an ITV one-hour drama is actually 30 minutes of drama and another 30 minutes of tedious ads.

As with US shows and most commercial channels, ITV one-hour shows are 44 or 45 minutes in length if you remove adverts and trailers

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You sound like your avatar Hornblower ! I can see your point about the adverts though. I think I'm right in saying that independent tv stations are limited to something like 8 minutes an hour of tv advertising, however, there is some wiggle room in as such that more advertising is allowed in some hours than others. So, TV companies can sell more advertising at higher rates during well watched programmes like Broadchurch,Downton Abbey etc etc. There has to be a trade off as advertising, along with dvd sales, funds the programming you watch. Frankly there are three models of tv revenue and it is pretty much impossible to watch without having to suffer either.

1, Ad free as in the BBC, but you pay the licence fee for this privilege.

2, Subsription /Advertising such as Sky

3, Adverts and " Sponsorship " such as ITV/4/5

Tv programmes cost money to make and there is no way out of copping for the above. Remember, the likes of David Tennant can sell out as Hamlet for weeks ahead and as such if he does tv acting he wants paying. Anyway, chin up, Celebrity Big Brother and The Voice just around the corner :thumbsup:

I put it on ITV catch up and let it play through with the volume down while I watched something else (Requiem for a Dream) and hey presto!! Wind it back and there aren't any adverts.

Kellogg's
Autoglass
Compare the Market
Direct Line

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
My Auntie works at the Exeter Uni and said they did quite a bit of filming there too, for this series.

The new Forum building was used for the Wessex Police Headquarters and there were a few external scenes on campus.

exeter forum.jpg

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
My theory is that the man implicated for the Sandbrook murders is innocent and the wife (Eve Myles) framed him for some reason, maybe he was having an affair with the babysitter.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
All very intriguing as to what other secrets may be revealed during the trial!

DS Hardy is a bit of a crap policeman isn't he? And why choose that location for the meeting - so many other places that it could have happened (i.e. a church in another town etc).

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Bit disappointed with last nights episode, all a bit silly at the end, I assume he didn't kidnap her and she went voluntarily.

The trial has come quicker than I thought, I assumed the series would end with the verdict but it looks like it will be over by then and by the looks of things he will get off, doesn't look too good for the father at the moment either.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I like all the dramatic licence taken with the mechanics of the court case and also the reporters covering it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

DS Hardy is a bit of a crap policeman isn't he? And why choose that location for the meeting - so many other places that it could have happened (i.e. a church in another town etc).
not too sure what that guy started doing with the woman would have been appropriate in a church :whistle:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bit disappointed with last nights episode, all a bit silly at the end, I assume he didn't kidnap her and she went voluntarily.

The trial has come quicker than I thought, I assumed the series would end with the verdict but it looks like it will be over by then and by the looks of things he will get off, doesn't look too good for the father at the moment either.

We've had 2...how many more episodes?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

It all rather fell apart for Hardy last night. However, he seems to be acting almost totally alone, has he even been shown in the local police station yet this series ? He is acting covertly and probably illegally in setting up a meeting and then trying to tape it.

In the first series he came across as a reasonable copper who messed up a murder inquiry but was desperate to get it right the next time. Now he looks like a desperate man, isolated from the force, clutching at any straw in a misguided attempt to get to the truth. As for the trial, it does seem heavily loaded towards making it look like Joe Miller is innocent, the confession has been cleverly thrown out but the huge amount of other evidence has been skipped over quite quickly in an attempt by the defence to shift the emphasis on to the Latimers being a dysfunctional family.

Charlotte Rampling looks like she is suffering from dementia as her eyebrows ripple as she tries to grasp what is going on in court and seems powerless to stop the erosion of the state's case against Joe Miller.

It's all going a bit silly but I will hang in there for another couple of episodes at least.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I am enjoying it and think there is a lot more to come, most of which will be totally unexpected. Unsure who lived where Mark Latimer and Tom Miller play computer games- was it where the Pauline Quirke character lived who was mother to the white van man who is a born liar!?? Maybe there is a storyline there - never trust a white van man:lol:

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I am enjoying it and think there is a lot more to come, most of which will be totally unexpected. Unsure who lived where Mark Latimer and Tom Miller play computer games- was it where the Pauline Quirke character lived who was mother to the white van man who is a born liar!?? Maybe there is a storyline there - never trust a white van man:lol:

I think it is the one where Pauline Quirkes character lived. Don't know if she was never part of this series, or Birds of a Feather kept her too busy to want to do a second series.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
vegster;6762498 Charlotte Rampling looks like she is suffering from dementia as her eyebrows ripple as she tries to grasp what is going on in court and seems powerless to stop the erosion of the state's case against Joe Miller. It's all going a bit silly but I will hang in there for another couple of episodes at least.[/QUOTE said:
We speculated that Charlotte Ramplings character is going blind - theres definitely something not right with her. And how can she be the best chance for a conviction after three (?) years ot not practising?!

I'll probably keep watching until the end of the series to see what happens but I hope it does improve!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Enjoying it but a few characters are doing some incredibly THICK things (i.e. the Miller kid and Mark Latimer hanging out alone in a bizarre woman's caravan is DEFINITELY going to end well...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports