Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Summertime

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
"Daylight" at 4pm in December is hardly going to be the stuff of BBQs and cricket matches though, is it? I bet you'll find it miserable getting up and leaving for work at 8am when it's still pitch black outside.

Tbh an extra hours daylight at that end of the day would help with my work...but am I bothered...nah

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
From a selfish point I would like hours changed but on a pedantic note, I think you will find that the Scottish farmers probably voted to keep the union.

But if they had voted YES and Scotland had to apply to join the EU they wouldn't have been able to claim any EU agricultural grants in the meantime :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... changing to GMT+1 all year round effectively putting us in the same time zone as mainland Europe (France , Germany , Spain , Italy etc)

it would put us on european timezone for the winter. they have daylight saving too, so we'd have to go GMT+2 for the summer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
it would put us on european timezone for the winter. they have daylight saving too, so we'd have to go GMT+2 for the summer.

I edited the post and ****ed it up :facepalm: Yeah we would have to adopt double daylight savings time , BST+1 aka GMT+2 to stay in line with Western Europe.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A sure fire winer for me. Short days in the winter are bad news whatever the time, but come the summer when the sun is rising at 4 and setting at 10 an hour's shift would be a big benefit.

To answer the question why don't you just get up an hour earlier ? The problem for me is that I do ! I just need the rest of the world to get in synch with me.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Up in northern Scotland they only get about 6 hours of daylight in the middle of winter , it may get dark down south at 4pm but even 250 miles north in places like Liverpool , Manchester , Leeds and Hull it is dark at 3.30 pm. I think we need a referendum in England & Wales on changing to GMT+1 all year round effectively putting us in the same time zone as mainland Europe (France , Germany , Spain , Italy etc)
Interesting discussion this, Spain are currently looking at reverting back to Western European Time (same time us us)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't know why people are afraid of their kids leaving school in half light!? And farmers use floodlights now and plough on 24 hours a day.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Definitely need to change, Look on the longitude. Every other nation on our longitude is +1hr on us and we are the only idiots that are an hour behind.
Kids would not be going to school in pitch black in Winter as had been mentioned, its full light by 7.30am and dawn starts half hour before that so from 8am (should we move the clocks) its light. would stay light until gone 5pm.
In Summer the Sun wouldn't be coming through my window at 3.53am!! Yes i have black out blinds but really getting light at that hour is daft and a waste. It gets dark at 9.30pm so we could have an extra hour of Summer daylight until 10.30pm.
I've been going on about this for a while. GMT is wrong. We should be on the same time zone as France. Its ok if you live in the far West or Ireland, but in most of the Country or in the East, we suffer with this.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Interesting discussion this, Spain are currently looking at reverting back to Western European Time (same time us us)

It makes sense from the point of view the whole of the Iberian Peninsula would be in the same time zone (Gibraltar , Portugal , Spain)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
It makes sense from the point of view the whole of the Iberian Peninsula would be in the same time zone (Gibraltar , Portugal , Spain)

Spain is much further west than us, so that proves we are wrong with our time zone. Portugal is so far west that it could be argued they should be an hour behind us. Honestly we have got this one wrong, we should be on +1 hr.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spain is much further west than us, so that proves we are wrong with our time zone. Portugal is so far west that it could be argued they should be an hour behind us. Honestly we have got this one wrong, we should be on +1 hr.

Err, as I pointed out, we are the ones that set the standard for the whole world with Greenwich Meantime. All other times zones take their standard from us.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Err, as I pointed out, we are the ones that set the standard for the whole world with Greenwich Meantime. All other times zones take their standard from us.

Just because we set the 'standard' doesn't mean it's right or good.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just because we set the 'standard' doesn't mean it's right or good.

Good grief, it's been right and good since 1851.

We tried Double Summer time for two years between 1970 & 1972. It was awful and hardly anyone complained when it went back to the original.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Seeing as our northern, ginger cousins have decided that they really are better off after all by staying with Good Old Blighty, and that they will be getting more devolved powers anyway, can we ask for something back in return?

From now on, can we have permanent BST and in addition a further hour during the summer months? Stuff the Jocko's and their whinging about farming on winter mornings, or having to go to work in the dark! You have shown your true colours and decided that you get a better deal with us than without, is an hours daylight too much to ask in return for the extra £1600 spend per head of public money north of the border? Let alone the further powers that will be granted to you in future. Perhaps a little bit of that £1600 can be used to buy each of you a nice little, natty fluro number for the winter months.........

Well said. I hate the dark afternoons. It's so depressing and makes me feel like hibernating! I'm a morning person but would have no problem with dark mornings as at least it gets lighter It's been proved also that more accidents happen late in the day, when people are tired and less alert than in the morning.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I think you must be on a wind up. Spain have got it wrong, not us.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Good grief, it's been right and good since 1851.

We tried Double Summer time for two years between 1970 & 1972. It was awful and hardly anyone complained when it went back to the original.

Well it's 2014 not 1851, nor 1970, times change, people change.

Anyways I think sticking with BST all year round would be the most sensible thing to do, at least for a few years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here