Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] British Boxing plunges to new depths

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm a non boxing fan and this is why

Too many titles. There should be one champion at each weight. Done.
Rematch clauses. Why on earth would I watch a fight I know is just going to a rematch no matter what? Makes any fight before the final one ultimately pointless.
Fighters running scared of fighting each other. It should just be a straight forward ranking with "you now fight him".
All the trash talk to then hug each other at the end. It may sell fights but you are basically WWE with all that

It's a waste of time before you even consider they ask for about 20 quid to watch the damn thing from whatever suppressive state is now holding the fight because they had the most blood money to offer.

Apart from that it's great.
Would like to say that in the good old days, a rematch could often be worthwhile..Benn v Eubank for instance. Epic fights.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I love the sport old boy, I just can’t believe what‘s happened, domestically this was a real mouthwatering clash, giving the sport back some credibility, and now the old failed drug test farce has kicked in.

To reiterate Dillian Whyte is a f****** idiot, he was clearing around £2million for this and he’s completely f***ed it.
Yes I didn’t mean you - I meant the other posts saying ‘I don’t like boxing’!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Always baffles me how many people open clearly labelled threads and then post to tell everyone they don’t like the subject 🤷🏻‍♂️
Not really.

The thread is called "British boxing plunges to new depths". It's a thread discussing that.

I like boxing, I would like to watch, but the sport is in a state at the moment and is making it pointless to watch.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Would like to say that in the good old days, a rematch could often be worthwhile..Benn v Eubank for instance. Epic fights.
Were the rematches announced before the first fights though?

"This is the first fight in a 3 round fight-deal." Ok I'll check in on fight 3 then.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Absolutely gutted for AJ, Hearn described him as being in his best shape ever and he's never looked so good in training which is incredibly exciting given how good he has been in the past. Here's hoping he gets a credible opponent, I know a lot of PPV has been sold for this and he doesn't deserve to lose any of his purse, the show must go on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Eddie Hearn is on Talksport this morning with Jim Shite and Simon Jordan. Probably worth a listen.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Eddie Hearn is on Talksport this morning with Jim Shite and Simon Jordan. Probably worth a listen.

Should be interesting - Simon Jordan was tearing into Hearn on social media at the weekend.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think one of the key questions will be, how long before the announcement on Saturday when did they know Whyte failed?

George Groves was on the wireless over the weekend (and social media) fighting the corner of all the punters who've got non refundable hotels in London this weekend on the pretext of going to the fight.

Whyte has claimed that he invited daily testing in the build up to this fight, so he might have failed some time ago?

David Haye also threw something into the mix regarding Dereck Chisora being added to the card some time last week, did Matchroom know then the main event was off?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Crawford v Spence couple weeks ago . Had a rematch clause and was amazing.

Cant wait for that again
"And we're here at the San Siro for the Champions League final between Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. This match, of course, has an automatic rematch organised for next week, so whatever the result tonight it doesn't matter, but I still expect an entertaining night of football".

Meh.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm a non boxing fan and this is why

Too many titles. There should be one champion at each weight. Done.
Rematch clauses. Why on earth would I watch a fight I know is just going to a rematch no matter what? Makes any fight before the final one ultimately pointless.
Fighters running scared of fighting each other. It should just be a straight forward ranking with "you now fight him".
All the trash talk to then hug each other at the end. It may sell fights but you are basically WWE with all that

It's a waste of time before you even consider they ask for about 20 quid to watch the damn thing from whatever suppressive state is now holding the fight because they had the most blood money to offer.

Apart from that it's great.
I am still a boxing fan and this is why....

However
If you were to start creating songs for boxing fans to sing ringside, it would probably be the end for me.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
AJ fighting Robert Helenius, it's not AJ's fault, but from an entertaining perspective that is one of the worst fights to make. Very dull fight. It probably play out like the Carlos Takam fight but a more boring version of it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
AJ fighting Robert Helenius, it's not AJ's fault, but from an entertaining perspective that is one of the worst fights to make. Very dull fight. It probably play out like the Carlos Takam fight but a more boring version of it.
Out of interest do the ticket holders who, allegedly, sold the 02 out in 57 mins have a refund clause after the change to the main event?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't know, but surely they do get a refund.
They can indeed get a refund, Hearn confirmed this on Talksport earlier.

Of course, anyone who's shelled out for travel and accommodation will be stuffed if they decide not to go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Simon Jordan swearing on his own radio show 😂 rattled

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here