British Airways 2 - 0 Unite

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
:clap2:

You have to wonder if Unite actually know how to run a strike !

And of course the score is actually 2-1 Doh !

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
99 times out of 100 I'm behind the workers BUT on this occasion it really is IDIOCY to be complaining about working conditions when you're by far and away the best paid in the industry.

British Airways certainly aren't perfect but our national flag carrier doesn't deserve to be held to ransom by greedy staff who would NEVER have it so good if they had to work ANYWHERE else

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
whats happened, WS? some of us need to be spoon fed you know.

its all i can do to keep up with the post office strikes frankly...
(though we are now apparently in agreement - you, the company, give us further lump sum bribes... we, the postmen, accept our 30 pieces and work to 'modernise'... ie take it in the shitter) ...yay

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
whats happened, WS? some of us need to be spoon fed you know.

its all i can do to keep up with the post office strikes frankly...
(though we are now apparently in agreement - you, the company, give us further lump sum bribes... we, the postmen, accept our 30 pieces and work to 'modernise'... ie take it in the shitter) ...yay

BA won a court injunction to stop the strike on a technical point.

Bluejuice - I agree with you and it wouldn't be nearly so bad but their colleagues at Gatwick and London City have been working under the "new" conditions for years.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Lawyers £severalmillions, everyone-else nil

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
game abandoned due to ash cloud.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
99 times out of 100 I'm behind the workers BUT on this occasion it really is IDIOCY to be complaining about working conditions when you're by far and away the best paid in the industry.

British Airways certainly aren't perfect but our national flag carrier doesn't deserve to be held to ransom by greedy staff who would NEVER have it so good if they had to work ANYWHERE else

I thought it was the staff on pre 1997 contracts that had the better conditions, not all staff so it's not necessarily fair to keep comparing them to all the other airlines. As far as I heard today, an agreement to the dispute was virtually agreed but the only stumbling block now was the question of staff flights which willie walsh withdrew from striking staff. Seems ludicrous that if there is an agreement then why not reinstate the staff flights, many of which are used by staff to get to their shifts at other airports.

Failure to do so would just reinforce some views that this is about Walsh trying to break the union before he moves on to take on BALPA.

Overturned on the most pathetic of techanicalities.

That the Union, in each of its commuications with its members, state the number that destroyed the ballot paper.

Which was a total of 11 out of 11,000 voters.

The general feeling is that this is a political and not a legal decision.

Just relate this to the recent election, how many returning officers announced spoilt ballot papers?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Overturned on the most pathetic of techanicalities.

That the Union, in each of its commuications with its members, state the number that destroyed the ballot paper.

Which was a total of 11 out of 11,000 voters.

The general feeling is that this is a political and not a legal decision.

Just relate this to the recent election, how many returning officers announced spoilt ballot papers?

Exactly. And what if there had been a legal challenge to the result based on the fact that a couple of hundred voters didnt' get the chance to vote in a constituency where there was a majority of several thousand. Would anyone, whether you are Blue, Red or Yellow, expect a court to nullify the election result and say go do it again.

Be interesting to see if the judges that made the decision are due out on the Holidays anytime in the near future.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Of course its a political decision, however the Unions are some of the only people who can stop a nation from operating if their members so choose, to halt public services, transport and all manner of daily necessities. There are rules in place to stop them from using that power irresponsibly, if they don't stick to the rules - its their own stupid fault.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

all of them or i think the result can be challenged. as some are due to problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports