Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Britain facing 100 days of heavy snow in the worst winter since 1947. [Daily Express]

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
God help us if it is anywhere near the weather of 47'....indoors...coal fire...no CH...took ages to dig our way out....blame global warming myself...and the EU.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Britain facing 100 days of heavy snow in the worst winter since 1947.

Take a look at Private Eye to find more about Vantage Weather Services. They're about as credible and reliable as he rhythm method.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If that is the case I am glad that I am retired but my brother will be happy as he is going on holiday to the Far East for Feb and March.

Oh no he's not. The country will be PARALYSED. No flights all winter I should think. Still, he can console himself with the thought that Diana's killers may be close to justice and his house will be gaining in value despite all those Bulgarians living in our parks on my tax money.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This was written back on 17th Nov. They are desperate, anything to boost circulation. There are only 4 front pages at the Express anyway

Immigration / EU exit
The weather
Miracle cures
House prices

Diana is now on page 4..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You have to admire Richard Desmond's approach to the digital era. Instead of innovating and finding a way to make money from online content he's scaring the shit out of pensioners so they spend their last pound on his rags instead of cat food when they visit Morrisons on pay day. What a lovely, giving human being he is.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I just read through a little of the "article " and was stunned to see this little excerpt.....

“The models are pointing towards a high pressure blocking system which will hold cold air over the UK, and it becomes stagnant, meaning any rain turns to snow and temperatures are persistently much lower. "

So, as I recall from my geography, a high pressure system OVER the UK would cause light winds frosts at night but crisp sunny days and virtually no rainfall. A high pressure system west of the UK may cause a low pressure system across the country bringing high winds, warmer temperatures and rain. Other than the odd front which may cause a dusting of the white stuff I can't see how they can predict 100 days of snow lying around up to 7' deep.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I just read through a little of the "article " and was stunned to see this little excerpt.....

“The models are pointing towards a high pressure blocking system which will hold cold air over the UK, and it becomes stagnant, meaning any rain turns to snow and temperatures are persistently much lower. "

So, as I recall from my geography, a high pressure system OVER the UK would cause light winds frosts at night but crisp sunny days and virtually no rainfall. A high pressure system west of the UK may cause a low pressure system across the country bringing high winds, warmer temperatures and rain. Other than the odd front which may cause a dusting of the white stuff I can't see how they can predict 100 days of snow lying around up to 7' deep.

Is that a direct quote? Because it's BRILLIANTLY written. Not. Obviously. Presumably there aren't enough scared old people left in Morrisons to pay for decent journalists or a subbie.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is that a direct quote? Because it's BRILLIANTLY written. Not. Obviously. Presumably there aren't enough scared old people left in Morrisons to pay for decent journalists or a subbie.

Yes, the sentence in quotation marks was lifted direct from the OP's link.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Where do they get that shit from? Absolute bollox. In fact it couldn't be further from the truth at the moment.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Take a look at Private Eye to find more about Vantage Weather Services. They're about as credible and reliable as he rhythm method.

The rhythm method was very good.... It was especially good when as was usually the case with me, I found it all too exciting when I should have found I was exiting ! Ask all my kids.:whistle:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

reckon you're spot on there. though it is true any rain will turn to snow, but there wont be any. iirc the trouble occurs when the high is off to the north of the British isles, so the warmer. moister comes in from the Atlantic and we get flumped on.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Britain facing 100 days of heavy snow in the worst winter since 1947. [Daily ...

You forgot Madeleine McCann .. featured pretty much only in the Daily Express these days

Can't believe you both left out Diana, it's the definitive go-to express story!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
reckon you're spot on there. though it is true any rain will turn to snow, but there wont be any. iirc the trouble occurs when the high is off to the north of the British isles, so the warmer. moister comes in from the Atlantic and we get flumped on.

Ah, but then the ambient air temperatures are warmer and the snow either does not settle or melts within a day or two. So, we are still down 6 1/2 feet of snow according to the Express splash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here