Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bristol Rovers vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unable to connect to a stream but taking into account we made 11 changes to the starting team last night from Southampton, who showed that he could stake a claim for a place in the match 18 or even starting XI.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
why do people feel that he is the problem?
I didn't say he was the problem, I simply made a little joke about his speed.

he is more mobile than a lot of our other players , not fast at all but its not just about speed its what you do with it.
How is he more mobile? For all of Glenn's qualities, he is caught offside a lot. This is even more of a problem with VAR when you won't get away with close calls that are just offside. When he manages to break away, he's quickly caught by the opposition. His lack of speed is an issue. Of course there's more to being a striker than pace, so there's still a place for him in the squad, but he is limited by his speed.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Good to chat before the game Jim - Webster was generally moving towards the front post at corners, which wasn't really working, as there were not many other targets for us and the delivery wasn't great. With about 15 minutes to go, he signalled to Gross to put the ball higher and got on the end of one at the back post.

I thought he looked comfortable with the ball at his feet and won a lot in the air. Looks a good prospect to me.

Yes - watching the highlights I recall now that chance at the back post...it was right in front of me! Generally I thought Gross was more than a little "off" with his crossing last night. His delivery is normally SO reliable - but perhaps they were trying something different, and it didn't quite work out.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I didn't say he was the problem, I simply made a little joke about his speed.

How is he more mobile? For all of Glenn's qualities, he is caught offside a lot. This is even more of a problem with VAR when you won't get away with close calls that are just offside. When he manages to break away, he's quickly caught by the opposition. His lack of speed is an issue. Of course there's more to being a striker than pace, so there's still a place for him in the squad, but he is limited by his speed.

You are correct but also watch how much ground he covers and positioning , a lot better than a faster younger Locadia. More importantly watch how he gets into the box and position himself. last night was another classic example. CMS was fast and showed great energy but was a headless chicken.....

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
He's also a great finisher. Probably the best finisher in shooting practise just before kick-of and the dink for the second disallowed goal was outrageous.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I enjoyed last nights game, I thought the players really got the Potter Ball philosophy.

Webster looked solid and was unlucky not to score, great save by the Rover's keeper.

Alzate, Mooy, Grob, Bernardo and Jahanbakhsh all looked lively and switched around.

All got a full 90 minutes competitive game as well.

Who do people want in the next round.

The draw numbers for Round Three:

1 Arsenal
2 Chelsea
3 Liverpool
4 Manchester City
5 Manchester United
6 Tottenham Hotspur
7 Wolverhampton Wanderers
8 Reading
9 Crawley Town
10 West Ham United
11 Oxford United
12 Watford
13 Swansea City / Cambridge United
14 Luton Town
15 Brighton & Hove Albion
16 Colchester United
17 Southampton
18 AFC Bournemouth / Forest Green Rovers
19 Milton Keynes Dons
20 Queens Park Rangers / Portsmouth
21 Aston Villa
22 Lincoln City / Everton
23 Stoke City
24 Sheffield United
25 Rotherham United / Sheffield Wednesday
26 Newcastle United / Leicester City
27 Burton Albion
28 Burnley / Sunderland
29 Nottingham Forest
30 Grimsby Town / Macclesfield Town
31 Preston North End
32 Rochdale

Crawley at home.

kjgood

Good write up on the Rovers website: https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2019/august/match-report-brighton/

Also who filled in at RWB once Alzate moved to Midfield?

Good write up but written for the home website. I thought we dominated the first half totally, played some reasonable football for a put together team as well. Probably with the dominance we should have scored at least one in the first half. Agree they came into it far more in the second half and in the end it was a bit touch and go.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I enjoyed last nights game, I thought the players really got the Potter Ball philosophy.

Webster looked solid and was unlucky not to score, great save by the Rover's keeper.

Alzate, Mooy, Grob, Bernardo and Jahanbakhsh all looked lively and switched around.

All got a full 90 minutes competitive game as well.

Who do people want in the next round.

The draw numbers for Round Three:

1 Arsenal
2 Chelsea
3 Liverpool
4 Manchester City
5 Manchester United
6 Tottenham Hotspur
7 Wolverhampton Wanderers
8 Reading
9 Crawley Town
10 West Ham United
11 Oxford United
12 Watford
13 Swansea City / Cambridge United
14 Luton Town
15 Brighton & Hove Albion
16 Colchester United
17 Southampton
18 AFC Bournemouth / Forest Green Rovers
19 Milton Keynes Dons
20 Queens Park Rangers / Portsmouth
21 Aston Villa
22 Lincoln City / Everton
23 Stoke City
24 Sheffield United
25 Rotherham United / Sheffield Wednesday
26 Newcastle United / Leicester City
27 Burton Albion
28 Burnley / Sunderland
29 Nottingham Forest
30 Grimsby Town / Macclesfield Town
31 Preston North End
32 Rochdale

Crawley at home.

For selfish geographical reasons Reading or Oxford away,

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nice to see the usual suspects giving their opinions from radio commentary.
Condemning the players yet can’t even see them apart from a 15 second clip of the goals..

Typical.

After 11 years on here I decided to start using “ignore” with the particularly stupid commenters. It has changed my NSC experience! The only downside is when people reply with a quote to them

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Not sure if it's been mentioned - but two things I noticed particularly were (1) how strong we were on the ball, and (2) how quickly we looked to recover the ball when we lost it. League One footie is a lot more rough and tumble than the stuff we see in the Prem, so it was good to see how "physical" (in a good way) the team was.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Alzate was good last night although Connolly stole the limelight.

How smart is Rovers' shirt this season! - one of the finest out there

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I thoroughly enjoyed last night, but it was a bit touch and go for a while - I feared Rovers would nick it on penalties. In the end we deserved the win and I thought Alzate, Connolly and Webster shone. Bong, Gross and Balogun did okay. Mooy was a bit sloppy to begin with, but got stronger as the game went on. I also liked the way the lads fought back when they lost the ball. Nice touch seeing everyone congratulate Connolly after his goal, Bong seemed particularly pleased.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here