NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wasn't there but love reading these sorts of tales.

This thread reads like it belongs on another club's board though. Yet it occurred only four and a half years ago! When people talk about the need for perspective on some of the moaning threads this is the sort of thing they're on about. The progress in those four and a half years has been absolutely unbelievable.

Jimmy Grimble

Brilliant night.

A friend and I went courtesy of a lift from Notters. I remember having to sprint from Varndean college to near London Road station to meet him as I was running late!

At 1-0 down at h/t time it looked very gloomy, as, if I recall correctly, the teams around us were doing alright in their respective matches. Then we equalised and I think the other results started swinging in our favour. At this point the away crowd were really lifted and could sense a special night on the cards, as well the team I think. This was reflected in the dogged defending and a couple of moments of fantastic skill. Most significantly the pinpoint cross for Andrews goal (I'm 90% sure it was from OGH). Due to position of the terrace I don't think many of us could see the ball leave OGH's boot, but we certain saw it fly across the box before hitting the back of the net. Cue bedlam. Burger on the pitch and bovril on my trainers. Great memories.

Cheers Notters!

(it's a shame there's not more video footage of that night)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brilliant night.

A friend and I went courtesy of a lift from Notters. I remember having to sprint from Varndean college to near London Road station to meet him as I was running late!

At 1-0 down at h/t time it looked very gloomy, as, if I recall correctly, the teams around us were doing alright in their respective matches. Then we equalised and I think the other results started swinging in our favour. At this point the away crowd were really lifted and could sense a special night on the cards, as well the team I think. This was reflected in the dogged defending and a couple of moments of fantastic skill. Most significantly the pinpoint cross for Andrews goal (I'm 90% sure it was from OGH). Due to position of the terrace I don't think many of us could see the ball leave OGH's boot, but we certain saw it fly across the box before hitting the back of the net. Cue bedlam. Burger on the pitch and bovril on my trainers. Great memories.

Cheers Notters!

I can't recall if we were 1-0 down, or whether we scored first, but it was definitely 1-1 at HT, as I can clearly remember that Owusu scored in front of us (I'm not convinced he actually got a touch, tbh) and Andrew scored down the far end.

You're definitely right about the sudden swing in all the other results though. It really was a spectacularly important night.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brilliant night.

Cheers Notters!

Owuso's goal is the second to last on this footage.

Jimmy Grimble

I can't recall if we were 1-0 down, or whether we scored first, but it was definitely 1-1 at HT, as I can clearly remember that Owusu scored in front of us (I'm not convinced he actually got a touch, tbh) and Andrew scored down the far end.

You're definitely right about the sudden swing in all the other results though. It really was a spectacularly important night.

Ahh yes. We definitely went 1-0 down, though, as that would have been when I felt particularly despondent and therefore checked other results to see if anyone was helping us.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Favourite memory from that game was Russell Slade going MENTAL at the final whistle in front of the packed away terrace while we were going equally berserk. Great night.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Am I imagining it, or did Slade do a Mourinho-esque charge down the touch line after one of the goals?

You are not imagining it. He charged down the touchline fist pumping like a madman. Tremendous scenes. Will always have a soft spot for Russell Slade.

The atmosphere on the terrace that night was up there with the best.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I was there, and my best memory of the night was the final whistle being greeted as if we had scored a 90th minute Cup Final goal. Amazing scenes!!

Found a video a few minutes after the final whistle in the depths of youtube.

[yt]UHu7YSj7VoE[/yt]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was there, and my best memory of the night was the final whistle being greeted as if we had scored a 90th minute Cup Final goal. Amazing scenes!!

Found a video a few minutes after the final whistle in the depths of youtube.

[yt]UHu7YSj7VoE[/yt]

Excellent. Even that doesn't do it justice.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I listed to the Virgo interview, on the way to QPR away last week. Although he talked about the euphoria and the racket we made packed into that small bit of terrace, my abiding memory has always been how tense and stressed I was and the fact I felt ill, even after the result.

Virgo really put it into context about how big the consequences of the game was. Do I also remember it being one of the games that Tony Bloom was at, and the rumours of him wanting to take over the club and him being behind signings.

Even now I feel ill when ever I think of this game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I listed to the Virgo interview, on the way to QPR away last week. Although he talked about the euphoria and the racket we made packed into that small bit of terrace, my abiding memory has always been how tense and stressed I was and the fact I felt ill, even after the result.

Virgo really put it into context about how big the consequences of the game was. Do I also remember it being one of the games that Tony Bloom was at, and the rumours of him wanting to take over the club and him being behind signings.

Even now I feel ill when ever I think of this game.

I really enjoyed this game but the Huddersfield game later on was the one where I felt tense & ill. I felt that we had got so close to safety and needed just one goal to be sure, that I couldn't relax and enjoy it. At Bristol I was still in the 'do or die mood' and every point was precious.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Fantastic night , remember a few of the lads inc. Tommy Fraser throwing themselves into the grow at the end :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here