Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol Rovers v Brighton - April 2009

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
great night. was at uni in Bristol at the time so was in town for the called off game. When we scored the winner and at the end it was crazy - swear i remember a shoe and some celery being chucked!

made the pub for the end of Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal and a student night out..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
great night. was at uni in Bristol at the time so was in town for the called off game. When we scored the winner and at the end it was crazy - swear i remember a shoe and some celery being chucked!

made the pub for the end of Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal and a student night out..

Who throws a SHOE?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What a job Slade did that season. We'd looked completely doomed when he took over. Really pleased to see him doing so well lately, even if it is at a club we had to borrow as a rival for a bit during our wilderness years.

Did a great job.

It would have been massively odds on, that we were going down after the home loss to Swindon. Then those surprising final performances and results propelled us up the table, and set us up for our rise over the coming seasons.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I tried to attend this match the first time. I remember arriving in Bristol really early, it absolutely hammered down all afternoon and I got completely lost walking out of Bristol trying to head for the Mem. Probably walked about 4 hours in the pouring rain, finally getting to the stadium to be told it was all off. Had a couple of soggy pints whilst waiting another 3 hours for train home. All that though, and I'm so glad it was called off - because we probably wouldn't have won if it was played that night.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Owosu and OGH in that survival patch at the end of the season that year were simply fantastic, in a strange way, I kind of miss the days we had players like them, of course I wouldn't swap now for then but just a weird part of me as a brighton fan.

I have some good memories from then despite how dire that season was overall.

That run under Slade is up there with my fondest Albion memory's. The way we went from being totally and utterly down and out, void of confidence at MK Dons with Craig Davies spooning the ball over the bar twice, to digging in and showing how grit and determination can win you football matches, was truly spectacular. I do in a way very much miss those days, travelling the country watching utter dog shit matches but there was always the same faces enduring the same utter shite, so when that run came together it just provoked feelings of sheer joy.

The Bristol, Hereford and Huddersfield games away where some of the best away days I have ever done. Good memories those.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I was there, and my best memory of the night was the final whistle being greeted as if we had scored a 90th minute Cup Final goal. Amazing scenes!!

Found a video a few minutes after the final whistle in the depths of youtube.

[yt]UHu7YSj7VoE[/yt]

The one with the glasses That's ME!!!! So I was there :) I didn't dream...it was a great night all round.

chrisbha

Mar 21, 2012
Gazeboo

Bristol Rovers 1 (Lambert)
Brighton & Hove Albion 2 (Owusu, Andrew)

Adam Virgo recently described the away match towards the end of the 2008/09 season away at Bristol Rovers as 'his best-ever match', and the Withdean Years DVD mentions it as being an amazing night. The Bristol Rovers board were, according to Dick Knight, totally won over with the passion and drive of the Brighton contingent, and I notice with the talk of Russell Slade doing well, it is bringing back some memories on here.

I wasn't there - it sounds as though I missed out on something special. So for those who were there, was it the great night people talk about? I know it was a vital win in our relegation scrap, but was it a red-letter day for the Albion?

I was in the stand Behind the goal.
Its the only time I have ever watched a game from inside a great big plastic gazeboo

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
I remember before the match the friendly Rovers ticket seller girl commenting on how surprised they were to see so many Brighton fans at the game and I replied with some cocky riposte about how we had all turned up because we new Albion were going to win... I think she just laughed...!

One of the most tense yet enjoyable away games I can remember...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We had two more seasons (plus one match) from Gary Hart after that.

Matt Sparrow scored the last-ever Brighton goal at Withdean (v Huddersfield), after a dummy from OGH. Naturally, the crowd spotted this and chanted OGH's name, rather Matty's.

Hart had a couple of GOLDEN opportunities in that game, and me and everyone around me was absolutely desperate for him to get a goal. Seemed some of the team were as well.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Great to read this thread, headed up there as a sponaneous decision and is still one of the best away days i can remember. The relief on 90 minutes was incredible.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
From what I recall we were rubbish for the first half, but OGH chased down a couple of lost causes, seemed to raise the morale of the players around him, and from then on we were competing.

Was that the game that Calvin Andrew nearly knocked himself out colliding with the woodwork?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From what I recall we were rubbish for the first half, but OGH chased down a couple of lost causes, seemed to raise the morale of the players around him, and from then on we were competing.

Was that the game that Calvin Andrew nearly knocked himself out colliding with the woodwork?

No. That was at home. The last game against Stockport, possibly.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Massive win. Particularly after conceding early on against decent opposition. Remember Gary Hart having an absolute stormer and thinking he must be on drugs! Took a few mates, including a Rovers fan, into the away end after a boozy session in Bristol. Low and behold, on the packed terraces we were stood behind some loud transvestite cheering on 'her boys'. Quite amusing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here