Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol Rovers Ground Development

BristolRovers

Nov 22, 2013
Spent 2 years at college in Bristol can't help but wanna get involved since us seagulls have experienced this!

Hi Dumseagull, hope you enjoyed your two years in Bristol, feel free to tweet if your a Twitter fan or paste our link and brief synopsis to other football related forums.

The problem we have (and you will know this terminology, having stayed here!) is there is a Gert Big dose of apathy around the place and has been for far too long, I do understand it, I've followed the Gas since 1986, 1 year at Eastville, a decade exciled in Bath and now playing in a rugby stadium, in this time the Bristol Evening Post has had front page posts showing blueprints of no fewer than 4 different modern stadiums in and around the fringes of Bristol, ALL have ended in nothingness, so its easy to connect with the pessimists and think this is Rovers there is always bad news at the end.

Except we have fans like yourselves who know exactly how it feels to trudge through season to season knowing that it could be much better, I remember seeing Brighton in the FA Cup final as a kid with a full house, and we have had the same albeit in the windscreen wiper cup and play offs, a few seasons back we took 47k to Wembley, the potential to achieve what you guys have is certainly there, as you will know Bristol and surrounding areas is a busy old place, so yeah Bristol stinks of apathy from us and that other lot over the river but I'm a believer that it will happen, we just need more publicity.

Out of interest when you were in a pickle did you find any particular clubs fans to be more helpful than others?

UTG

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Signed. If you looking for ideas on how to beat these sh!ts, Reading "we want Falmer" might help. I am not trying to flog a book, but it documents everything we went through to get the permission to build the Amex. £12 ish on Amazon at the moment.

Last edited:

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Hi All

Those of you who have followed Albion for over 20 years may be aware that a group of our supporters (Bristol Rovers) attended one of your events to highlight your plight in the late 90's when Albion were sailing dangerously close to liquidation and almost went out of business.

Our respective clubs have shared a similar plight over the past two decades in terms of finding a permanent home with a string of objections getting in the way of progression in getting a decent modern stadium to call home.

For anyone interested we were very close to starting the build on a new 22k all seater stadium in the grounds of the University of the West of England after years of planning, this is being funded mostly by Sainsurys who want to build an eco friendly supermarket at the Memorial Stadium, our current stadium.

After years of planning and meetings (you know what this is like of course!), when the 90 day cooling off period began so did our own count down and for those of us who have followed the Gas for the past 30 years we thought this was really going to happen.

On day 87 of the 90 day cooling off period a group of 6 anti supermarket green party members (3 employed by the council) put in an appeal to take to a Judicial Review, they have formed a Ltd Co to absolve themselves of the legal costs should they lose at JR and as such the local tax payer will pick up the bill for this, this is being done against their own employer who still have millions of pounds worth of cuts to make.

Just as you guys have done for many years we too are fighting this all the way and using fan power to bring this to the attention of clubs who know what we are experiencing.

So we hope that you can return the support we showed Albion in errr 97/98 If my memory serves me right! Please could you take just a minute or two to sign our online petition which we have been advised will serve as a witness statement at the Judicial Review and help if we get more signatures than the pressure group opposing a development, we currently have close to 9k of online and offline signatures it doesn't matter that your postcode is so far away, what matters in the comments in support of the stadium, if you have visited us in the past you will appreciate the state of our ground and previously Twerton Park!.

Here is the link for the petition http://www.bristolsnottrash.bristolpetitions.com/

It's good to see you are finally well settled in with a great looking stadium after years of frustration, and who knows hopefully we will be paying a visit in the league in several years of we can get ours built and some momentum going just as many other clubs have since building a decent facility to watch football.

All the best lads and ladies and a big thanks in advance for anyone who takes a couple of minutes to show us some support.

Feel free to join our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/UweBristolStadium

Done

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Was going to sign but i'm not handing my personal info to the Conservative Party! Best of luck though. :)

Well I did sign DESPITE my misgivings about the above. I don't want George Osborne or Theresa May sending me e-mails encouraging me to support their efforts in grinding the faces of the poor. Can the op explain please what is going to happen in terms of the Tories getting this data to all those supporters who have signed up?

Good luck in the JR by the way. Hopefully just a time wasting tactic a la Lewes District Council; but still a massive and expensive pain in the bum.:down:

gasheadgeorge

Nov 20, 2013
Posted this on the other thread but it makes more sense posting it here now:

Just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who has signed this.
I am actually overwhelmed by the amount of support on here! Especially seeing the other thread and how many people have signed there also. I'm guessing being in a similar (but a hell lot longer) situation with your stadium problems that you know what a pain in the backside some NIMBYs can be! :laugh:

In response to sharing a stadium with the c*ty, I can't see this happening especially that the rugby club would have to play there too, trying to work out the fixtures would be manic!

If anyone wants to know more info on the stadium the other thread has a much more well thought out post (i've never been too great with words!):
http://www.northstandchat.com/showth...nd-Development
And here's the petition if anyone else would be amazing and sign:
http://www.bristolsnottrash.bristolpetitions.com/

Thank you very much in advance, think I will now always have a big soft spot for brighton! :albion2:

gasheadgeorge

Nov 20, 2013
Central Govt recently reduced the statutory JR period from 3 months to 6 weeks so you may find the JR challenge is 'late' and therefore irrelevant if it came in on day 87 as you say. Pls check.....

Unfortunately we definitely had the 90 day judicial review period rather than the shorter one, I think it's something along the lines of, either the new time scale comes into affect in near time (i.e. too late for us) or the change has happened but since we submitted the planning permission before, when the old judicial review system was still in practice, we had to follow the old system. :down:
Either way i'm pretty sure we would have had the judicial review put in, it would have just reduced the timescale and would have probably been sorted by now.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Reading these posts from the BR fans talking of Nimbys and Judicial Reviews should remind us all of the 14 year battle for The Amex and how lucky we are.

Good luck in your quest. Keep fighting the fight. We are proof that it can work and as someone else said read 'We Want Falmer'

Signed.

gasheadgeorge

Nov 20, 2013
Just out of interest, during your problems with your stadium were there any clubs/fans which really helped you out? (or if you know of somewhere else which would support this?)
Am trying to think of other places to post this petition but can't think of anywhere which would be worthwhile and where it wouldn't be ignored!

Thanks again for the amazing support.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Just out of interest, during your problems with your stadium were there any clubs/fans which really helped you out? (or if you know of somewhere else which would support this?)
Am trying to think of other places to post this petition but can't think of anywhere which would be worthwhile and where it wouldn't be ignored!

Thanks again for the amazing support.

At the top of this page there's a drop down box which links to the main messageboard of every other club. You've got nothing to lose by trying to post on all of them. You'll probably get banned or abused on some of the less friendly ones, but even if you get one or two signatures on each board it's got to be worth a try.

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/#

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here