Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City spending £9m on a striker

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One season of league football in his career and City think he is worth £9 million? Absolutely nuts.

Just read this on his Wiki page:

'He was the subject of reported transfer interest from League One neighbours Milton Keynes Dons in May 2014, but the Dons baulked at his £300,000 price tag.'

Oh dear :lolol:

Wolves let him go for nothing.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I remember bidding something ridiculous for a player in CM 01/02, I was Brighton manager in the old First Division and slapped in a £2million bid for a young Damien Duff which was accepted, we agreed terms and then when I was ready to seal the deal it was stopped by the board because the transfer fee was "unrealistic". Surely this is what will happen here?!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Obviously that's mental. How did they get to £9m? Doesn't that mean that Brentford first had to turn down offers like 5 or 6 million? That's as mental as Bristol bidding in the first place.

Not really, they must have twigged how desperate BC were to sign just about anyone after all the knock backs they've had.
The Worlds gone friggin mad! :mad:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Football is ****ing stupid! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: 9 million for him? What mugs.

The idea they sold us Baldock for something like 2m and think this guy is worth that much :facepalm:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
what a complete waste of money if you haven't got a rest of team worthy of supporting your strike force.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Bristol City chairman is loaded, looks like another club blowing there 3 seasons FFP losses in one attempt to go up.

Next season. This season they can lose £13 million. Assuming that this is a 4-year deal, that will equate to just £2.25mil spend a year (before signing, wages etc)

One hot tub one ambition

Apr 28, 2015
Hove
I think my disbelief is being converted into a laughing matter. Imagine if they signed him for 9 Million - how they can afford that is utterly ludicrous - but then got relegated? Because buying one striker, no matter how adept, when you've got a defence that has leaked 9 goals in 3 games against Wednesday:lolol:, Brentford and Luton, will not suddenly prevent that matter! What's more, it certainly won't make your chances of promotion sky-rocket - which is surely the only way they can capacitate spending such an extortionate fee? If they got relegated spending that money, I wouldn't be able to stop laughing!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I thought Bristol City and Wolves struggled when they went down as the FFP rules for league one is set at a lower rate of your turnover, you then get stuck like Portsmouth before with players refusing to move on as they are on 40-90K a week and the clubs can't play them due to bonus payments for playing.

I am not surprised though, the whole system is set up for teams to gamble, Palace, Leicester and QPR have all done it as the riches are too tempting.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Next season. This season they can lose £13 million. Assuming that this is a 4-year deal, that will equate to just £2.25mil spend a year (before signing, wages etc)

Isn't the 13m the amount the owner can put in? I thought the FFP loss was only £2/3m this year, then from next year its 39m per 3 years?

Tbh it's changed more times than the bloke behind me has shouted abuse at Stockdale so I've lost track.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Isn't the 13m the amount the owner can put in? I thought the FFP loss was only £2/3m this year, then from next year its 39m per 3 years?

Tbh it's changed more times than the bloke behind me has shouted abuse at Stockdale so I've lost track.

It sure has. It's now more confusing than the offside rule (unless you're a lino at Anfield) Nope, £13m allow loss this year.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Bristol City chairman is loaded, looks like another club blowing there 3 seasons FFP losses in one attempt to go up.
You must mean stay up!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Mental!

They could a proper quality striker from abroad for that, not some clodhopper from Brentford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here