Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City- Guilty or Not Guilty?

Bristol City- Guilty or Not Guilty?

• Guilty- They should've put one in their own net as it was blatently in.

Votes: 40 25.0%
  • Not Guilty- The referee has made the decision that it wasn't a goal at the after all.

Votes: 117 73.1%
  • Fence.

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
if Bristol had put in their own net deliberatly or allowed Palarse to walk a goal in, wouldnt they have been punished? didnt that happen a while ago, bringing game into disrepute etc?

I agree, I reckon that with the number of betting scandals that have been investiaged recently and the fines handed out to Accrington and Bury players for match fixing, any player adjudged to have scored an own-goal deliberately would be in serious trouble.

Warnock (and I generally have a lot of time for him) has behaved like an idiot here. I suspect that he's probably a bit embarrassed about things now.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The match report apparently says the goal was disallowed for an infringement.

Interesting.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
hmmm :/
I don't understand now why Keith Hackett apologised to Neil Warnock if the goal was disallowed for an infringement ???

Because he reacted before reading the report because he saw an opportunity for exposure/felt the need to react asap, and didn't have all the facts?

I believe the bristol manager claimed the fourth official told him there was an infringement, though that could be the source of the rumour of the match report saying it (chinese whispers style).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As far as Im concerned we had a NAILED ON goal disallowed on Saturday.

Does that make Brentford cheats for not telling the ref that we scored?

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Bristol City had the oppotunity to tell the referee that it was a goal - they all new it was yet still went over to the linesman to try and influence him. Poor sportsmanship in my opinion.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The match report apparently says the goal was disallowed for an infringement.

Interesting.

Why did the ref give a goal kick then?
Why didn't the linesman wave his flag to signal an offence?
Why's the ref been suspended?

Didn't Bristol have a goal disallowed for an incorrectly called offside... it seems that things probably evened themself out over the course of the match.

[Edit] Warnock makes a valid point about goalline technology. It is instant and wouldn't stop the flow of the game (a tone sounds in the referee/linesman's ear as soon as the ball crosses the line). I am against 'hawkeye' technology or rugby style replays, but surely there is a valid case for goalline technology.

The whole ball has to cross the line. As it is a sphere, how would technology be able to verify that the WHOLE ball had crossed the line?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I was at Coventry City v Crystal Palace back in the early 80's when they had a free kick that hit the stanchion at the back of the net and to everybodies disbelieve the Ref waived play on!

Everyone in the ground apart from the referee and linesman knew it was a goal. Made my day and now seeing it happen to Palace again made me smile!

Poor old Palace!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Warnock is just being Warnock, to be honest. The one who's made a total arse of himself (surprise) is Simon Jordan, the whining media whore. How many club chairman would have gone running to the press about it? Not many, I suspect, they'd leave the public comment to their football staff. But Jordan just can't miss an opportunity to get his shiny orange mug on the back pages, can he?

This is his opinion from the Daily Mail today:

"If it happened at Palace I’d offer Bristol City another game, but they are gutless and they won’t. I swear on my daughter’s life that I would do that because I believe in taking the moral high ground"

I greatly look forward to the day when this comes true and Jordan marches down from his seat in the directors' box at Selhurst to demand a referee awards Palace's opponents a goal.

The most pleasing outcome of all of this is that, according to several sources, the Tango-tinted BUFFOON is now set to face FA charges as a result of his remarks.

Bravo, the FA :clap: :clap: :clap: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Why did the ref give a goal kick then?
Why didn't the linesman wave his flag to signal an offence?
Why's the ref been suspended?

Referee could NOT have awarded a goal kick as the ball did not go out of play. The goal area is part of the field of play. He could only have awarded a free kick for a foul inside the six yard box for which the indirect free kick has to be taken from the line of the six yard box.

Lineman is only there to ASSIST the referee, He would only indicate an infringement to the referee if the ref has not already indicated that he has seen one.

and the officials haven't been suspended. But they have been rested.
Hackett, general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Board, said: "There's no doubt he'll be fretting away but we will give him the support to rebuild him and get him back fresh for his next appointment.

"I think it will be a couple of weeks before we bring him back. In the meantime he'll have the appropriate discussion and debate in order to analyse very carefully why it was missed. He probably was out of position."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"The body language of the Bristol players and the fans should have told the referee it was a goal".

Yes Neil. Thats one of the first thing a referee checks to make sure he's made the correct decision - the body language of the players (who of course never, ever seek to deceive or con the referee), and the reaction of the crowd.

Who needs video replays when we've got crowds and players body language to help with making those all-important decisions ? Its a no-brainer. Quick. Ring FIFA.

Referee could NOT have awarded a goal kick as the ball did not go out of play. The goal area is part of the field of play. He could only have awarded a free kick for a foul inside the six yard box for which the indirect free kick has to be taken from the line of the six yard box.

Eh? I think keaton's point was that the referee simply didn't see the goal; he thought that Sears put it wide, hit the stantion and came back into play again, therefore awarding the goal kick. Clearly if he'd seen the ball go in the goal area he wouldn't have awarded the goal kick!

Incidentally, has there been any official confirmation as to whether the referee gave a free kick for a supposed infringement or whether he just ballsed up and didn't spot it?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"The body language of the Bristol players and the fans should have told the referee it was a goal".

Haven't you read the Football Association Laws Of The Game (Warnock Amendment 2009)?

Rule 172 (3)(ii) para.4.2 states that:
-a goal shall be awarded to the attacking team if, in the opinion of the referee, any or all of the defending players are visibly avoiding eye contact and looking sheepishly skywards with their hands in their pockets, while whistling a jaunty tune

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Did Warnock have anything to say with Bristol City's legitimate goal that was disallowed for offside? Maybe Palace's players should have kicked the ball into their own net.

:jester:

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex

Yes Neil. Thats one of the first thing a referee checks to make sure he's made the correct decision - the body language of the players (who of course never, ever seek to deceive or con the referee), and the reaction of the crowd.

Who needs video replays when we've got crowds and players body language to help with making those all-important decisions ? Its a no-brainer. Quick. Ring FIFA.
Brighton played 2 leaugue games and 1 league cup game goals total for the season to date 0, Best of luck with your quest to even find the back of the net!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here