Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bring back the 80s and 90s please.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
For the whole football experience, no glory hunters, train travel was good, standing, good old fashioned songs, more tight knitted mates, younger, more stamina for the all day benders, coming out of coasters and getting the 4am train to Oldham etc. I'm an old bastard now but those were the days for me and we knew we were shite and we knew that reality, but there were great games in between. Getting chased down an alley in grimsby on a Tuesday night and welcomed into an old ladys house with a broom to save me from a pounding. Forgive me for this mini rant, but that's how I feel and love reminiscing about those eras. Happy days
Rose tinted specs. Remember many a time it was really shit. You just want to be younger, and there’s no shame in that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As long as you're not burnt alive in a wooden stand, squashed to death behind a pen, or caught outnumbered by 20 skinheads at Millwall and have the shit nearly kicked out of you and spend the day in a hospital bed. (I remember that happening to an Albion fan in 1984, and it didn't even make the headlines)

I'm being a bit facetious here as I grew up loving football in that era, but people get very misty eyed about that period in time. Crowds were shockingly crap for all but the biggest games - the biggest 2 clubs in the country averaged 6,000 more than we do now! When Palace lost 9-0 at Liverpool, the gate was 35,000. The refs were still shit, defenders could pass back to the keeper when under any pressure, world cup groups were fixed, so were promotion/relegation fixtures, and half of clubs had nothing to play for with 15 games to go.

Apart from atmosphere (and that's debatable), the only thing that was genuinely better was the FA Cup. As for atmosphere, I remember games at the Goldstone where the place was a morgue - and that was in 84, 85 when we were still quite good and vying for promotion back to division 1.
All of the above (talking of the World Cup, England were seeded to keep their fans in one place). I'd add awful pitches, which meant awful football. The standard was nowhere near as high.

When I watch 70s/80s matches, and Albion's 1-0 victory in a City Ground bog spring to mind, I really, really don't miss it.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's the people who miss their school days that I can never understand.
I'd genuinely rather put a nail through my scrotum than go back to then.
I enjoyed school to be fair, but it's definitely not the time I'd go back to if I had the choice.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As long as you're not burnt alive in a wooden stand, squashed to death behind a pen, or caught outnumbered by 20 skinheads at Millwall and have the shit nearly kicked out of you and spend the day in a hospital bed. (I remember that happening to an Albion fan in 1984, and it didn't even make the headlines)

I'm being a bit facetious here as I grew up loving football in that era, but people get very misty eyed about that period in time. Crowds were shockingly crap for all but the biggest games - the biggest 2 clubs in the country averaged 6,000 more than we do now! When Palace lost 9-0 at Liverpool, the gate was 35,000. The refs were still shit, defenders could pass back to the keeper when under any pressure, world cup groups were fixed, so were promotion/relegation fixtures, and half of clubs had nothing to play for with 15 games to go.

Apart from atmosphere (and that's debatable), the only thing that was genuinely better was the FA Cup. As for atmosphere, I remember games at the Goldstone where the place was a morgue - and that was in 84, 85 when we were still quite good and vying for promotion back to division 1.
Yeah, but apart from that……….

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Train travel you say…. I can remember at least 2 away days in the late 80’s where the trains broke down and we didn’t even get to the game, Ipswich was one where the train and replacement broke down an we all bailed off to the sidings and walked up the embankment to Colchester, never got to the game!!
I mean a return to class 47s dragging old Mk 2s half way round the country does have some (trainspotting) benefits.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I miss the Withdean days but all the things I loved about it are the exact reasons I wouldn’t want to go back now I’m 20 years older.

The past is the past. It was fun but I doubt many of us would be able to survive it these days

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Terraces were what made me love football, honestly not sure I would have gotten into it otherwise. And I only really caught the tale end of them sadly.

el punal

Terraces were what made me love football, honestly not sure I would have gotten into it otherwise. And I only really caught the tale end of them sadly.
Poor you! I remember the crowd packers at the Goldstone. They made sure every inch of the terraces had someone standing on it. Put it like this - if you farted it stayed in your pants. :ohmy:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...getting chased down an alley in grimsby on a Tuesday night
As too much time has now elapsed to identify the culprit(s) and bring them to justice, it has been deemed that @Poojah was most likely involved somewhere along the line and accordingly has been banned with immediate effect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here