Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's wage bill

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Richie Morris said:
I cannot imagine Knight having a job. Butters would be a labouror. Cullip a doorman. Roberts a waitor in a Cardiff restaurant. Jones a sales rep. Chippie would live off the land like in Tom and Barbara in the Good Life and Charlie would work in an east end boxing gym.

Crikey.

With creative thoughts like that you should write a fanzine. :jester:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
fatboy said:
Will Packham and Danny Marney are doing very well combining money from non league football with working for Marney's dads window sales company.

It was suggested to me that some of the "part time" footballers at Crawley could earn a grand a week if in the top 6 and winning, which they are.....

Not bad for a part time wage for kicking a ball around. Don't suppose they need to have another job to top up the wages, really.

What's shocking is that they are therefore earning more than some of our young players going by the posts above.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Danny Cullip would go into his Dad's double glazing firm and probably still will do once he retires.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
They do give up three nights a week to train; plus travelling at weekends.

Some of the players did not want to do this so dropped down a level.

They are effectively only four places away from league football. Most of the conference one clubs, and a fair few conference north/south and even some ryman league teams are now full time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am told Darren Freeman wanted £500 per week to sign for Burgess Hill and has signed for Three Bridges so presumably they are paying him that.

Clive Walker earnt more playing for Woking than he did at Brighton.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
fatboy said:
Some of the younger and less established players may be on low money; take into account £17k per annum for Robinson at 17, the likes of Virgo and Harding won't be on much more than that.

Although 17k works out at £325 a week, which for a 17 year old is good but is a pretty piss poor wage, especially for a 2nd division football player, so most of them will be on a lot more than that.

if your only paying him £17k a year he wont be with you next season

palace,s wage bill last season was 2.7 million

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Burgess Hill were paying loads of money when they were in the county league.

I pay a fiver if we dont win...
:(

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Richie Morris said:
I cannot imagine Knight having a job. Butters would be a labouror. Cullip a doorman. Roberts a waitor in a Cardiff restaurant. Jones a sales rep. Chippie would live off the land like in Tom and Barbara in the Good Life and Charlie would work in an east end boxing gym.

Yes yes yes! You have hit the nail on the head! :lol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's all rumour and speculation, but I did hear from a fairly reliable source a couple of summers ago, that when we signed Simon Morgan, he was brought in as out biggest wage earner on £3,200 pw. That seemed pretty high for a Div 2 club, but I was given the impression that he was comfortably the highest earner.

However, i think BZ did sign a new contract later that summer, so maybe his money went close to that.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
kinkygerbil said:
i hope there not on a lot paying 3rd di players like oatway more than 1500k would be stupid

You're absolutely right. Even if you meant per year, that's nearly £30k a week. :eek:

Granny Goodchild

Sep 24, 2003
John Boy said:
What is the average wage bill for the players?

Total wages for year ending June 2003 was £2.8 million, but included 44 admin staff as well as 26 players.

So, assuming average admin staff salary was about £20k, then average player wage was about £74k.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Brighton's wage bill

Granny Goodchild said:
Total wages for year ending June 2003 was £2.8 million, but included 44 admin staff as well as 26 players.

That's more than Palace's £2.7 Million!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here