Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton’s trendy North Laines

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
There are two areas in Brighton that non-locals ( or fake London imported locals ) get muddled up because they think the word Lane and Laine has the same meaning ( they don't ). There is area known as The Lanes - a nice, very old shopping area unsurprisingly made up of narrow lanes ( some incorrectly call it the South Lanes ). Then there is the North Laine area ( note the singular use of the word ). North Laine is filled with trendy eateries and digital media companies.

Mixing up the two is akin to some morons calling the Palace Pier, The Brighton Pier.

This,
or Elm Grove, Elm Groves

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I saw that Cliff Richards walking down the North Laines once, he was asking directions for Marks and Spencers. Locals gave him a good kicking.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Proper Brighton cabbies also drop the 7 when talking about 7 Dials. "The Dials".
As opposed to those who rely on Tom Tom.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Someday, someone is going to have to define the word 'trendy'.

It can't mean 'fashionable', because everything that isn't 'trendy' is, by definition, unfashionable in which case its immediate popularity and viability as a business would diminish. It can't mean 'leading the way', unless it is laying a trend, so 'trailblazing' would be more apt. So therefore, what would make an eaterie 'trendy'?

Help.

Having to pay £2.60 for a Sausage Roll from an "Artisan " bakery in Gardner St. when Greggs in North St. charge 90p ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
:rant:

mind you, the Nelson has been tarted right up and i can see a reporter calling it "trendy".

Here it is, in the North Laines
image.jpg

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Having to pay £2.60 for a Sausage Roll from an "Artisan " bakery in Gardner St. when Greggs in North St. charge 90p ?

I fugging hate that word, it my head it's now a fact that if you have a business including the word you are a grade a twot.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I fugging hate that word, it my head it's now a fact that if you have a business including the word you are a grade a twot.

If you can sell something for three times the price and people are mug enough to buy it you can't be that much of a twot.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If you can sell something for three times the price and people are mug enough to buy it you can't be that much of a twot.

A smart twot then. But maybe you're right, maybe the twots are the one's that go 'Look, it's artisan, therefore it's almost definitely an organic, sustainably and locally sourced sausage roll made from pigs reared on the Palace pier, I'll definitely pay 3x the greggs price'

Note - Truffles do the best sausage rolls

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
4 pages and no one has mentioned that Sami, made sure he visited an establishment that served a proper crafted pint of Harveys. That my friends shows true leadership.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Is that any worse than having a shop dedicated to that disgusting gunk know as Falafel ? Now that is a rip off.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

I remember the days when I could get 5 sausage rolls from Greggs for about £1 (it probably was about 12 years ago, when I worked in Manchester). It pains me to hand over almost that much for a single sausage roll now. However, my diet should really thank their inflation busting price rises.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here