Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton’s trendy North Laines

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
... and shops selling mod gear, kitchen goods, clothes, shoes, furniture, flowers, books, comics, fabrics, kites, skateboards, juggling stuff, children's toys and games, erotic lingerie, smokers' accessories, bathrooms etc. Places to get your haircut, your body pierced, your teeth fixed, your eyes tested...

I wouldn't any of it 'trendy'.

Can't think of too many digital media companies.

I did only say trendy eateries to be fair not trendy shops. There are at least four DM companies in the old Argus buildings and I know of at least three others in the North Laine area.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There are two areas in Brighton that non-locals ( or fake London imported locals ) get muddled up because they think the word Lane and Laine has the same meaning ( they don't ). There is area known as The Lanes - a nice, very old shopping area unsurprisingly made up of narrow lanes ( some incorrectly call it the South Lanes ). Then there is the North Laine area ( note the singular use of the word ). North Laine is filled with trendy eateries and digital media companies.

Mixing up the two is akin to some morons calling the Palace Pier, The Brighton Pier.

Thank you.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
There are two areas in Brighton that non-locals ( or fake London imported locals ) get muddled up because they think the word Lane and Laine has the same meaning ( they don't ). There is area known as The Lanes - a nice, very old shopping area unsurprisingly made up of narrow lanes ( some incorrectly call it the South Lanes ). Then there is the North Laine area ( note the singular use of the word ). North Laine is filled with trendy eateries and digital media companies.

Mixing up the two is akin to some morons calling the Palace Pier, The Brighton Pier.

would that make it an oxymoron???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I did only say trendy eateries to be fair not trendy shops. There are at least four DM companies in the old Argus buildings and I know of at least three others in the North Laine area.

Someday, someone is going to have to define the word 'trendy'.

It can't mean 'fashionable', because everything that isn't 'trendy' is, by definition, unfashionable in which case its immediate popularity and viability as a business would diminish. It can't mean 'leading the way', unless it is laying a trend, so 'trailblazing' would be more apt. So therefore, what would make an eaterie 'trendy'?

Help.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we had a cafe in Lewes road right opposite the bottom of Elm Grove, its a great area full of history,, the unfortunate thing is now its very expensive to live there
or for that fact anywhere in Brighton now

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

It can't mean 'fashionable', because everything that isn't 'trendy' is, by definition, unfashionable in which case its immediate popularity and viability as a business would diminish. It can't mean 'leading the way', unless it is laying a trend, so 'trailblazing' would be more apt. So therefore, what would make an eaterie 'trendy'?

Help.

Being in the North Laine?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Help.

It's far too late at night and at least two beers too many to even contemplating thinking about a question like that !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really ? My new job is with a company based in North Laine and one of the directors is a die hard fan and has pledged to get a company box when we make it to the Prem.

That's very good of him. Why not get one now if he's a die hard Albion fan?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That's very good of him. Why not get one now if he's a die hard Albion fan?

Exactly what I asked. His reply was that he couldn't persuade the other Directors that it was a worthwhile investment for matches such as Albion v Rotherham when in the Prem nearly all matches would be attractive to take clients to. I guess as it isn't only his money involved it's not quite so straight forward.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exactly what I asked. His reply was that he couldn't persuade the other Directors that it was a worthwhile investment for matches such as Albion v Rotherham when in the Prem nearly all matches would be attractive to take clients to. I guess as it isn't only his money involved it's not quite so straight forward.

At the Fans' Forum, Paul Barber mentioned that all corporate areas were sold out for the next two years. I can't see too many of those already taking boxes giving up should the promised land ever be reached. Your chap might want to join the waiting list sooner rather than later.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

The boxes are about £18-20k a season plus food now - if we make the Prem I'm guessing they will start at about £30k. I doubt even at that price if we made the Prem there will be any boxes available for anyone that isn't in the queue already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here