Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Your Life

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Fair play to him, only seems strange to us because we can't relate to supporting a team 1000s of miles away that we have no link to and never watch live.

What about all those BRITISH NUMPTIES who go watch the NFL matches at Spurs/Wembley every year in a multitude of shirts, often NOT the team actually playing that day and they've never been overseas to watch a match in their lives :confused:

If he wants to support Brighton (and got his girlfriend on board also) then good luck to him/them
He supports Brighton because he hates Palace. A very valid reason.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Fair play to him, only seems strange to us because we can't relate to supporting a team 1000s of miles away that we have no link to and never watch live.

What about all those BRITISH NUMPTIES who go watch the NFL matches at Spurs/Wembley every year in a multitude of shirts, often NOT the team actually playing that day and they've never been overseas to watch a match in their lives :confused:

If he wants to support Brighton (and got his girlfriend on board also) then good luck to him/them
Yes, exactly the same. That’s the point.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
My nightmare to have them sitting next to us. Club will be delighted that more and more of these people from different parts of the world are becoming members. Good to have additional supporters and because of this club will be able to charge what they like for match day tickets.. Appreciate I am living in the past but the shame is because of this demand match day tickets will always be out of reach of so many locals
Up to last season when age stopped one of my relatives from going regularly, I bought tickets for her and a friend on a match by match basis for years without ever having a problem getting one - even for the biggest games. It just took a membership and being organised about the on-sale dates. Plus there’s also the ticket exchange. Prices seemed pretty stable across that time so, unless they’ve soared in the last 18 months, I don’t see how foreign fans affect anything much.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I managed 5 minutes and 27 seconds. Awful.

I don't think I will ever be able to get my head around this stuff.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Yes, exactly the same. That’s the point.
Erm, no it's not.

This lad has flown out to England to watch Brighton live, I'm betting the vast majority of the NFL fans (who rock up at Spurs/Wembley in a multitude of NFL team shirts) have NEVER been to America to watch 'their' team live.

The point I was trying to make is that if he wants to support us, and even made the effort to fly here to watch us, then good luck to him and he won't get any criticism from me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Erm, no it's not.

This lad has flown out to England to watch Brighton live, I'm betting the vast majority of the NFL fans (who rock up at Spurs/Wembley in a multitude of NFL team shirts) have NEVER been to America to watch 'their' team live.

The point I was trying to make is that if he wants to support us, and even made the effort to fly here to watch us, then good luck to him and he won't get any criticism from me.
It’s not criticism. Just calling it for what it is.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Exactly. There's loads of us on here who support, quite passionately sometimes, teams we've never seen. I am one of those numpties (no offence taken btw!) who loves the NFL and I support the Cleveland Browns. I've never even been to Ohio much less am a native of it, but their results matter to me and I'm quite happy to tell anyone I support the Browns.

Brighton aren't in the third tier of English football any more, playing in front of a few thousand Sussex locals with the rest of the world utterly oblivious to our existence. Ok we're not a global brand either, but we have a growing 'presence' and these new foreign fans are a manifestation of it. We should embrace and welcome them and their quirky habits rather than staring down our pinched noses at them.

Yeah, some will fall by the wayside when we fall from our current lofty position as a top six club, but others will be with us for ever. The fact that Cleveland have been utter UTTER shit nearly all the time I've supported them has never deterred me!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Exactly. There's loads of us on here who support, quite passionately sometimes, teams we've never seen. I am one of those numpties (no offence taken btw!) who loves the NFL and I support the Cleveland Browns. I've never even been to Ohio much less am a native of it, but their results matter to me and I'm quite happy to tell anyone I support the Browns.

Brighton aren't in the third tier of English football any more, playing in front of a few thousand Sussex locals with the rest of the world utterly oblivious to our existence. Ok we're not a global brand either, but we have a growing 'presence' and these new foreign fans are a manifestation of it. We should embrace and welcome them and their quirky habits rather than staring down our pinched noses at them.

Yeah, some will fall by the wayside when we fall from our current lofty position as a top six club, but others will be with us for ever. The fact that Cleveland have been utter UTTER shit nearly all the time I've supported them has never deterred me!
Out of interest how does you express your support ? I get watching the games and taking an interest in the goings on around the club. That can be as social as watching the Albion. What I would be wary of is us attracting the type of social media plastics that attach themselves to Chelsea, Man U etc. Sure that expands the ‘brand’ and attracts media interest but that coverage becomes banal and sycophantic and caters to the exceptionally needy who know they are only transient. We have had a few of these circuses in recent years with the fans of Ali J, Mwepu, Potter and indeed the people that have arrived because we have finished in the top 6. People claiming to be fans of the club when they certainly are not. I doubt there are any real Chelsea fans on the Shed End because that forum has been taken over by the inane dribbling of their ‘global fan base.’

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone know why he's got that English accent? Apart from he's 'listening to his conscience' - which doesn't make an awful lot of sense. Does it get explained further into the vid? Genuinely interested. It just seems a bit odd

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Out of interest how does you express your support ? I get watching the games and taking an interest in the goings on around the club. That can be as social as watching the Albion. What I would be wary of is us attracting the type of social media plastics that attach themselves to Chelsea, Man U etc. Sure that expands the ‘brand’ and attracts media interest but that coverage becomes banal and sycophantic and caters to the exceptionally needy who know they are only transient. We have had a few of these circuses in recent years with the fans of Ali J, Mwepu, Potter and indeed the people that have arrived because we have finished in the top 6. People claiming to be fans of the club when they certainly are not. I doubt there are any real Chelsea fans on the Shed End because that forum has been taken over by the inane dribbling of their ‘global fan base.’
Fair question. Not very well is probably the answer! Back in the early days I did have a Browns jersey that someone brought me back from America as a present. (This was back in the 1980s when it was much harder to get NFL merchandise in the UK). However I've never bought anything myself - but then I don't buy Albion merchandise either! (Ok, the odd beanie hat). I subscribe to the Browns mailing list, google and read all the match reports and watch the videos, but I don't 'do' social media, so I don't post on Twitter or engage with other fans on the Cleveland equivalent of NSC.

And no, I've never seen them play. I have seen an NFL game in the States, but it was Oakland Raiders v Miami Dolphins. So pretty much all I do to show my support is watch the games on TV and shout at it. But their results do matter to me, probably much more than they should. The only other thing I used to do as a Cleveland fan is have 'office banter' with my old business partner and friend, now sadly no longer with us, who was a staunch Pittsburgh fan. It was because of him that I supported the Browns in the first place. (He supported the Steelers because he once met their quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, on holiday. I supported the Browns as he said they were their biggest rivals so I thought it would be fun if we supported teams on different sides of the rivalry. Spoiler alert - it wasn't!)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We Often converse with any new faces near us. Often are coming to a one off game to experience PL football so as well as ticket price must be paying for membership.. No wonder club wanted to stop sharing.
I also converse with many new faces and sometimes bring them. The last one hadn't been to a premier league game for three years - he wasn't a member and i upgraded my sons season ticket to share with him.

And Club haven't stopped sharing or wanted to stop it. But , yes, they don't allow you to share season tickets with non members and its not necessarily as easy as passing round physical tickets anymore.

And not sure how you can assume they must be "paying for membership" . Many games including Newcastle and West Ham in the next few weeks - offer tickets on general sale or with previous purchase history , or as guests of Season Ticket Holders,. Or they may be recipients of upgraded tickets, or via the exchange without having to be a member.

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I also converse with many new faces and sometimes bring them. The last one hadn't been to a premier league game for three years - he wasn't a member and i upgraded my sons season ticket to share with him.

And Club haven't stopped sharing or wanted to stop it. But , yes, they don't allow you to share season tickets with non members and its not necessarily as easy as passing round physical tickets anymore.

And not sure how you can assume they must be "paying for membership" . Many games including Newcastle and West Ham in the next few weeks - offer tickets on general sale or with previous purchase history , or as guests of Season Ticket Holders,. Or they may be recipients of upgraded tickets, or via the exchange without having to be a member.
Was not an assumption. Told by several new faces that knowing they were coming to Brighton and wanted to go to a game that they became members and then purchased tickets

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Was not an assumption. Told by several new faces that knowing they were coming to Brighton and wanted to go to a game that they became members and then purchased tickets
Agreed. Sometimes you do have to be a member (blimey - you must grill the poor fans to confirm that level of detail with them ! I just get as far as asking if they're from Italy or Spain or Ipswich or something) but that's not what you said originally - you said they "must be" . That isn't always the case. And hence - something again about the club not wanting people to share tickets when really you mean - not wanting to share tickets with other members. (Season ticket holders share tickets in their thousands every season despite the changes when digital tickets were introduced. )

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Agreed. Sometimes you do have to be a member (blimey - you must grill the poor fans to confirm that level of detail with them ! I just get as far as asking if they're from Italy or Spain or Ipswich or something) but that's not what you said originally - you said they "must be" . That isn't always the case. And hence - something again about the club not wanting people to share tickets when really you mean - not wanting to share tickets with other members. (Season ticket holders share tickets in their thousands every season despite the changes when digital tickets were introduced. )
God you’re a tedious bore aren’t you?

Can we keep the zany American fans and ditch chailey? A price worth paying.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

But the fact that you support the Browns who are irredeemably useless, differentiates you from the plastic glory hunters who infest twitter and claim to be "(Insert big 6 club name here) till I die". Their supposed fanaticism and their intolerance for any other club is utterly nauseating.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But the fact that you support the Browns who are irredeemably useless, differentiates you from the plastic glory hunters who infest twitter and claim to be "(Insert big 6 club name here) till I die". Their supposed fanaticism and their intolerance for any other club is utterly nauseating.
Yes, true, but I was talking about the people who've been attracted to us rather than supporting a Big Six team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here