[Albion] Brighton Women's Home Ground?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm flattered @Brovion though I'm sure there people just as knowledgable (or more so) on the Womens team/football :)

When it first started, the WSL was a summer league. However those in charge felt that a move to the winter months was preferrable as that was when traditionally football was played and so it matched with other countries. Also, access to stadiums was restricted partly because of the attitudes of people in charge, and partly because pitches were being relaid/refreshed for the new (mens) season.

I wouldn't be adverse to it going back to being a summer league (especially as Crawley is f**king freezing!), though its unlikely to happen unless all top countries did it too.

What I think has to be done more is to plan the matches better so that people can support both, which requires joined up thinking, planning and buy-in from those higher up in both the mens and womens game. Well I can dream that that is going to happen!

I agree to a certain extent that there is a need for the Womens game to stop appealing to mens fans to go watch the womens team too and grow their 'own' audience, but there are both men and women who want to support both teams for their club/country and that should be possible. Or maybe me and my friends are just in the minority!
Thank you. I didn't realise it used to be a summer league. Interesting. And I take your points about why it was changed.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I don't know why there is any sort of assumption that the market for watching women's football lies within men's supporters. My wife is a S/T holder for men's team and has has zero interest in WSL as do I. £55 for a WSL S/T says everything about the commercial appeal of the sport. It needs to find it's own level in a shared small stadium and if the demand exceeds numbers they can expand. But at the moment, it can't stand on it's own feet financially.
It’s the main concern I have against equal pay in sport. Take the cricket - great crowds at the women’s Ashes but the tickets were all at giveaway prices. I fully get the argument that equal pay sends a positive message about equality, but as a result in many sports the men’s game is significantly subsidising the women’s game and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. That’s obviously done for the right reasons but at a price and is unlikely to change.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
They could make a start increasing interest by not turning the Women’s game off on the concourse when there’s not the football on. Very frustrating when there’sa big group watching.
Ridiculous they've done that. One club and all that!
Was over at the Broadfield today, attendance will be impacted due to change to kick off times conflicting with kids playing on a Sunday morning. It's the WSL behind in so nothing the club can do. Stupid decision to do this when the women's game is growing.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
They could make a start increasing interest by not turning the Women’s game off on the concourse when there’s not the football on. Very frustrating when there’sa big group watching.
They also did that in Dicks Bar as it went into injury time. No reason to do it! I said it hadn't finished and they said 'but you don't pay for that'! What does that matter, and also I do as I'm a season ticket holder! :mad:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Ridiculous they've done that. One club and all that!
Was over at the Broadfield today, attendance will be impacted due to change to kick off times conflicting with kids playing on a Sunday morning. It's the WSL behind in so nothing the club can do. Stupid decision to do this when the women's game is growing.
I think attendance was about half what it is normally at the Broadfield, so the clash certainly hurt it. Noticed lots of kids who'd clearly played beforehand arriving late to the second part of your point

I do think we need a bit more joined up thinking with fixtures etc...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Where is it as article doesn't say?
No location has been agreed yet, what has happened is the council given their support to the idea of building a stadium within Brighton and Hove for the womens team. The next step is to identify where.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
glad wasnt the only one missing the detail of "where".

really this is just the council voting for a stadium in principle, for the kudos, not an actual stadium that will be subject to years of planning submissions and objections.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The article is misleading, the only thing the Council have voted to do is help the Club find a location for a new ground.
This!! The only thing the Council has done is to give TB a nod I'm sure he really doesn't need, to fund something else they can crow about!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I do think that our womens team will never take off all the time that they're playing in Crawley

there must be a viable alternative that can be developed somewhere, but I don't think the Amex is the long term solution
Develop Withdean

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Build it on the field over the road from the Amex, not like there's a shortage of fields in Sussex. Job done.

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
Wonder if Black Rock would work? There was talk of a replacement for the Brighton Centre being moved there

https://ipw3.com/project/brighton-arena-conference-exhibition/

BLACK ROCK LATEST PLANS.JPG.article-962.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't know why there is any sort of assumption that the market for watching women's football lies within men's supporters. My wife is a S/T holder for men's team and has has zero interest in WSL as do I. £55 for a WSL S/T says everything about the commercial appeal of the sport. It needs to find it's own level in a shared small stadium and if the demand exceeds numbers they can expand. But at the moment, it can't stand on it's own feet financially.
Neither can the men's game if you look at the accounts of most clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports