Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've missed all of this story.

What is the strike over. Is it pay and conditions?

power. the union has some in Brighton bin collection and likes to flex it.

the grievance is the management asking some drivers to work different routes.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
AS per The Argus last week it seems to be solely related to some crew members being asked to be adaptable and work different rounds as the need permits.

Indeed. Due to Covid and driver shortages. It’s unclear what choice the management had.

The cleanliness of Brighton streets will pay the price as always.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Indeed. Due to Covid and driver shortages. It’s unclear what choice the management had.

The cleanliness of Brighton streets will pay the price as always.

Good job the health care professionals when asked to be flexible for obvious reasons didn’t throw their toys out of the pram, unfortunately for the waste collectors they won’t garner much sympathy from the residents of Brighton & Hove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The disgusting state of the streets just goes to show what a valuable, important, underrated and under-appreciated job they do. I support them 100%.

They do indeed, but I'm still not sure whether I support them or not. When it comes to bullying, I can't see how anyone can take sides over the issue because it is an internal issue lacking transparency, so we simply don't know whether or not their strike action is justified or not. I don't like this assumption that they are being lazy though.

I walked through Brighton yesterday and it is disgusting. There will be rats all over the place soon - you already find yourself steering clear of the rubbish piles for that reason. Why is Brighton so badly managed compared to other towns? It doesn't seem to matter which party is in power, Brighton is always run by incompetents.

And yet it doesn't stop certain smug types on here sneering at places like Crawley does it?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If the grievance is that drivers are being asked to do a different route because of COVID absences then they and the union need to step back and reconsider their situation plenty of people have had to adjust to change some , nurses, taking them into dangerous situations.

There is more to this though as can be seen by the number of strikes in the past and both parties really need to sort themselves out.

People do need to realise that there are things they can do to help the bigger picture e.g. take their own rubbish to the tip or compress what have - its surprising what compaction can be achieved by just treading on the rubbish. This would leave some spare capacity for those who really can't do something as opposed to those that can't be bothered.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Very, very true.

But it doesn't make sense that it's true. If every party has had a go, mostly with different personnel, is it not more likely that the issue here is more to do with a near impossible situation.

In this case, highly unionised workers who will are willing to use their power to strike.

In this case the driver shortages seems to have exacerbated a situation or provided an opportunity for the strikers depending on your view

Are you suggesting the council avoid the strikes by always giving them whatever they want?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But it doesn't make sense that it's true. If every party has had a go, mostly with different personnel, is it not more likely that the issue here is more to do with a near impossible situation.

In this case, highly unionised workers who will are willing to use their power to strike.

In this case the driver shortages seems to have exacerbated a situation or provided an opportunity for the strikers depending on your view

Are you suggesting the council avoid the strikes by always giving them whatever they want?
Yes it does. I'm not saying all parties come up against the same problem am I? This time it's the bin men striking over bullying, but who gave the company the THIRTY YEAR contract FFS?

Other times and other parties, it's different issues. With the Greens, it's their stupid ideas to fix traffic problems. With the Tories it's the fact that they never want to get anything built to improve the look of the place. The common theme is one of pan-political incompetence, neatly summed up by the state of the West Pier.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Refuse collection seems to be a nightmare in Brighton even when there are no strikes. But the public need to look at their behaviours too. The photo I posted on the first page outside my son's front door shows a couple of communal bins. No sooner is the rubbish collected, people start leaving all sorts on the pavement next to the bin ... old bits of furniture ... even mattresses for example and other stuff that won't fit in the bins or items they can't be bothered to put in the bin.

Adur council has its own faults (all councils do) ... but not a single rubbish/recycling collection has been missed during the pandemic. In fact I honestly can't remember a time - going back years - when we didn't have our rubbish collected on the day it was due!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

No, not at all.

I just look around Sussex and don't see these issues elsewhere. As I said in my initial post, the recycling rate in Brighton is awful.

You have the perfect storm in Brighton - a powerful union and a naïve Council.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No, not at all.

I just look around Sussex and don't see these issues elsewhere. As I said in my initial post, the recycling rate in Brighton is awful.

You have the perfect storm in Brighton - a powerful union and a naïve Council.

But I suppose this is another thing which no party can resolve. If the council are beholden to this long recycling contract then whoever is elected has no chance of improving the situation.

Of course this contract and quite obviously the waste one should have never been entered into, totally agree with that.

But down the line, the contracts which councils enter into will be even worse. With central government cuts and massive pressure on budgets across the country, councils will have no choice over these sort of deals. They'll have to enter the cheapest and the longest, no matter the terms.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As I said in my initial post, the recycling rate in Brighton is awful.

Probably due to the fact we have fortnightly collections of a limited amount of recycling. This is thanks to the 30 year contract for recycling that got signed by a previous administration. Most other councils you simply chuck all packaging and glass in the same bins and it is collected weekly. Here glass has to be separate, no tetrapac, and only plastic is plastic bottles. It's diabolical but that's not the current administration's fault.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Probably due to the fact we have fortnightly collections of a limited amount of recycling. This is thanks to the 30 year contract for recycling that got signed by a previous administration. Most other councils you simply chuck all packaging and glass in the same bins and it is collected weekly. Here glass has to be separate, no tetrapac, and only plastic is plastic bottles. It's diabolical but that's not the current administration's fault.

Yeh, blaming the Greens for this is like blaming Potter for losing us the cup final

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh, so they are out of pocket for this then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't normally read your posts.....

Do you really not know how a strike works? I'm astonished.

If you want a tutorial any time on how governments are created, the role of the police in society, the purpose of the law or even how many blue beans make five, google is your friend :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It doesn't seem to matter which party is in power, Brighton is always run by incompetents.

The fact that a former poster of this parish who can barely write a sentence was offered what looked like a safe seat to win tells you all you need to know about your average councillor. Funnily enough one of the best is a Tory, Robert Nemeth, but most are as much use as tits on a bull.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The disgusting state of the streets just goes to show what a valuable, important, underrated and under-appreciated job they do. I support them 100%.

I have often posed the question who is most important in today's society?

Picking up others discarded crap is high on the list. It highlights just how much is generated and perhaps it should make everyone focus their efforts in reducing their rubbish.

These HGV drivers currently hold the upper hand, they are needed in many roles. To retain them perhaps the management need to respect them a little more or they could end up going to another employer. Probably delivering stuff in loads of unnecessary packaging.

A lot of those complaining are likely to be keyboard tappers who have never or would never lower themselves to do such a job. Meanwhile would society miss them for a few weeks (some 9 months or more on furlough).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes it does. I'm not saying all parties come up against the same problem am I? This time it's the bin men striking over bullying, but who gave the company the THIRTY YEAR contract FFS?

Other times and other parties, it's different issues. With the Greens, it's their stupid ideas to fix traffic problems. With the Tories it's the fact that they never want to get anything built to improve the look of the place. The common theme is one of pan-political incompetence, neatly summed up by the state of the West Pier.

The people ultimately responsible are the electorate. Look carefully what the party or independents are offering before voting. The trouble in a big city like Brighton is you have too many people who will always vote for one particular party, too many fruit-loop students, too many people who have no idea what's going on and don't care, and far too many people who never vote. Have a look at voter turnout for local elections.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here