Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Got up at 6am to pop the waste and recycling out, a quick look up and down the street…
No one else has placed theirs out, hmmmm

Quick search on google, ok, we’re in the middle of a strike, cool….

I guess this could be the start of another winter of discontent….
If only id known yesterday I’d of gone to the tip, damn, between the foxes and students they are gonna make this city look like Beirut within two weeks.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
You should see the state of ours. Living in a block of 26 flats, it's bad enough when the binmen decide to pick and choose what they're going to take, but now the lazy ******** aren't even working, and I believe they've extended the strike too (might be wrong).

scooter1

How soon is now?
We've not had the rubbish collected for 3 weeks, and only the last week of that has been part of the strike action. Also the recycling's not been collected. Any communal bins that we could use are already overflowing, so I don't want to add to that problem. Apparently there is further strike action to come, but it's not every day. We were advised to just leave the bins out, as the rubbish might get collected ad hoc

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
This is what it looked like last week - right outside my son's front door!!! :rant:

IMG_1680.jpeg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We've not had the rubbish collected for 3 weeks, and only the last week of that has been part of the strike action. Also the recycling's not been collected. Any communal bins that we could use are already overflowing, so I don't want to add to that problem. Apparently there is further strike action to come, but it's not every day. We were advised to just leave the bins out, as the rubbish might get collected ad hoc

I appreciate you probably don’t have a car but if you do and you can spare the time it might be worth running a few sacks down to Hove tip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Even before the strike the communal bins near us (that aren't ours to use) hadn't been emptied for 4-5 weeks. They were only emptied once featured in the Argus following complaints and then only I imagine because the Labour conference was on that week. Not been emptied since (again, before the strike started). Having lived in Brighton for 25 years and with family in Mid and EastSussex who never have issues with waste collection, I am sick and tired of the continual problems passed and bypassed from Tory-Labour-Greens without resolution. I am fast becoming a one-issue voter for local council. They should get the army in to cover it and sort the mess out once and for all if it has to bite hard. Puts you off Trade Unions, which is a shame. We did food treat boxes for the binmen during lockdown but they can absolutely **** off now, no empathy for them at all.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've missed all of this story.

What is the strike over. Is it pay and conditions?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Walking round Brighton in the last few years I’d assumed bin collections etc had been stopped sometime ago

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Got up at 6am to pop the waste and recycling out, a quick look up and down the street…
No one else has placed theirs out, hmmmm

Quick search on google, ok, we’re in the middle of a strike, cool….

I guess this could be the start of another winter of discontent….
If only id known yesterday I’d of gone to the tip, damn, between the foxes and students they are gonna make this city look like Beirut within two weeks.

I went to Hove tip yesterday, even at lunchtime (normally quiet by then), queuing out on the OSR.

Industrial action and operatives repeatedly catching Covid over and over again requiring 10 days at home, mark our waste collection non-service.

Our new neighbours of 18 months from Wiltshire and London can't believe the number of missed collections, work to rules and strikes over that time. At their former homes, refuse, recycling and green waste collection was simply never missed.

A google of Hollingdean strike action shows it happening almost every year since 2000. By an incredible coincidence, normally in the hot months.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
What a mess (literally) this situation is.

Looks to be a combination of a workforce which won't embrace any change together with a clueless Council.

For a Green led Council, the waste collection and perhaps more importantly the recycling rate is pathetic.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
can anyone shed light on their *actual* greivances?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And is there a plan from the council to do something to pick up the massive amount of rubbish that is blowing around the city now?

(I think I know the answer to that one)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The disgusting state of the streets just goes to show what a valuable, important, underrated and under-appreciated job they do. I support them 100%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here