Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs Hartlepool

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
The one thing i thought MA would improve on from Wilkins reign, would be the defence, but we seem to be worse defensively than last year. Has not having Tank in there made a difference?
Whing & Richards seem to me, to have regressed rather than progressed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
My take on watching the FA Cup dream shattered for another year. 1st half was started very nervously as they had a few crosses across our 6 yard box, but no real clear cut chances. Luckily they didnt get on the end of some very dangerous balls in. Matt Richards cleared one off the line too.

Forster took his goal really well, rounding the keeper after a great through ball by Cox. Other than that, we had a long range Cox effort and a Murray shot that hit the roof of the stand as our only chances on goal.

Second half was a complete shambles for me, and we were a bit of a joke.
As soon as the whistle for kick off went, we sat back on the edge of our area, letting them attack us and attack us. We had 2 lines of 4 within 5 yards of each other and sat on the edge of our penalty area, never once getting near the half way line to put a challenge in. We wanted to rely on our soft defence to keep a clean sheet. Bad bad tactics!!

They went close a few times, and the penalty was stupid penalty to give away. No need for Hawkins to climb all over the attacker. I called penalty at the time, and wondered why the ref didnt give it, but the lino saw it easliy and gave it. Maybe a soft penalty, but I think it was the right decision unfortunatley. Will have to see it again though.

After that we just got in a rut and couldnt get forward. There was no passing, it was just sit back, clear it to the halfway line and let them attack us again. Eventually the pressure told and conceeded a sloppy goal after being under the kosh for 5 minutes. Bad defending, when it should have been hooved forward we pissed about with the ball and a shot went through the crowd into the net.

We finished the game with a front line of Fleetwood, Murray, Forster, Elphick, Hawkins and Robinson, and the romance of the FA Cup saw Elphick and Hawkins try a left footed one-two because they were both too scared to shoot. Only Richards played in defense the last 5 minutes, by which time it was too late.

I didnt think our goal should have been disallowed, as Fleetwood got to the by line and pulled it back for Murray to tap it in, with Murray being behind the ball, I didnt think he could be offside. Maybe I need to learn the rules.

Dodgy decisions or not, we didnt deserve to go through, and we didnt

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Dodgy decisions or not, we didnt deserve to go through, and we didnt

:clap:

If the decision had been in the last 15 minutes or so and had seen them take the lead then we could quite rightly have bemoaned our luck.

But there was plenty of time left on the clock and the decision only drew them level. We once again were not good enough to consolidate and go on and win the game, instead we let their momentum get a quick second goal and put ourselves under needless pressure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Second half was a complete shambles for me, and we were a bit of a joke.
As soon as the whistle for kick off went, we sat back on the edge of our area, letting them attack us and attack us. We had 2 lines of 4 within 5 yards of each other and sat on the edge of our penalty area, never once getting near the half way line to put a challenge in. We wanted to rely on our soft defence to keep a clean sheet. Bad bad tactics!!

You should just save that bit, so you can keep pasting it week after week after week, to save you having to keep typing it out.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
:clap:

If the decision had been in the last 15 minutes or so and had seen them take the lead then we could quite rightly have bemoaned our luck.

But there was plenty of time left on the clock and the decision only drew them level. We once again were not good enough to consolidate and go on and win the game, instead we let their momentum get a quick second goal and put ourselves under needless pressure.

agreed, there was plenty of time on the clock, but it took us until 10 minutes from time to register any form of attacking intent, with our new formation of 1 at the back, 2 in midfield and 7 upfront

I have no idea what made Micky/The Team want to sit so deep right from the second half kick off, especially with the back line so woeful against Carlisle

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have no idea what made Micky/The Team want to sit so deep

The same thing that made them do the same against Bristol Rovers, Yeovil, Cheltenham, Northampton, Leyton Orient and in the Hartlepool home game?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I have no idea what made Micky/The Team want to sit so deep right from the second half kick off, especially with the back line so woeful against Carlisle[/QUOTE]

He may have thought we could defend a 1-0 lead for 45mins :shrug:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
on what basis, them attacking us for the first 20 minutes, or the rock tight performance against Carlisle?

There isnt any rhyme nor reason why teams go 1 nil up then decide to drop back other than to a man the players take that decision or the manager tells them too,we are obviously a far better team going forward so i am at a loss to why we would score then sit back until we went 2-1 down. I think the only managers we have had capable of organising a team to carry that sort of mentality out were to a extent Coppel and by far the best at it was and still is,is Peter Taylor.

Maybe MA thought about the 1st game going 2-0 up and decided to try and button it up if we took the lead who knows.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I am beginning to think that the defence isbecome complacent. Whing, Richards, Elphick have not reached the standards of last season. Hawkins has been at fualt for many a goal this season.

But they are all GUARANTEED to play, there is no competition to keep them out them team, so no matter how bad they play, they will be there the next game.

It means that the standards are dropping, and dont have to be improved to get back in the team.

It is not the fault of the players playing, as there is no competition, they dont try and play badly, but maybe if they get dropped they will improve their performances

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The one thing i thought MA would improve on from Wilkins reign, would be the defence, but we seem to be worse defensively than last year. Has not having Tank in there made a difference?
Whing & Richards seem to me, to have regressed rather than progressed.

I thought the defence last season was solid and gave a really good basis to build from this season, didn't need much tickering just replacing the tank but we seem to have gone backwards with only one player change

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here