Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs Hartlepool

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"From a serious and quality debut post, Ackers soon encounters the corrupting quicksand that is North Stand Chat humour."
and then transforms into a complete mong by the weekend :cool:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
But those players aren't good enough, and due to the circumstances Micky has been more or less forced into playing them tonight. I'll slam those players if I want, because between them I've probably seen them make 200 appearances and I can count the good ones on one hand. Clearly, in our current situation, SOMETHING is wrong, so SOMEONE is at fault. Personally, I don't think it's Micky, so by a process of elimination I think it's the players.

I'm not disagreeing with you but there is a conundrum here. Whing, Elphick, ElAbd and Richards were a solid enough unit on occasions last season. At Carlisle they were apparently, I wasn't there, all over the place. Why have we conceded so many soft goals this season?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
But those players aren't good enough, and due to the circumstances Micky has been more or less forced into playing them tonight. I'll slam those players if I want, because between them I've probably seen them make 200 appearances and I can count the good ones on one hand. Clearly, in our current situation, SOMETHING is wrong, so SOMEONE is at fault. Personally, I don't think it's Micky, so by a process of elimination I think it's the players.

I'm not disagreeing with you but there is a conundrum here. Whing, Elphick, ElAbd and Richards were a solid enough unit on occasions last season. At Carlisle they were apparently, I wasn't there, all over the place. Why have we conceded so many soft goals this season?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Ok, no problem, that's just a difference of opinions. The point is that there ARE players who aren't up to the job, and before anyone blames Micky they have to give him time to get rid of them.

I don't think anyone would suggest that all our squad are good enough. I am not anti Adams but two of the people I would put in that category were resigned by him. They have done fantastic service to the club but should not have returned. I hope they prove me wrong but can't see it.

Anyone who was fit, available and not in the squad tonight must not be considered good enough as two scholars were on the bench.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's a good point but is it Groundhog Day? I'm not buying it on principle.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Oh god, don't get onto the subject of Mayo and Hart because stating the bleeding obvious (ie they haven't been good enough for some time and shouldn't been re-signed this summer) makes you one hell of a bad fan according to some on here.

I do agree with you though. There must be EIGHT players at this club who are NOT, and NEVER will be, good enough for a promotion winning side. If we had a bit of strong management at the TOP for a change, then we could get rid of those eight and use their wages to sign THREE players that would make us the complete package. I'm hoping Micky is the man to provide that strong management, and June is looking like the time he's going to have to do it.

I don't like to have a go at players but you have pushed me into it and now I am beginning to rant. I would say that of the professionals (ignoring the first year pros) Mayo, Hart, Loft, Robinson, Dixon and Chamberlain (on the basis that if he has not made it yet, he never will) should be released at the end of the season. Of the others, Fraser may well not be good enough and Hawkins has certainly not had a fantastic start.

Having said all this, I would like to point out it is all opinion and I would be delighted if any or all of them proved me wrong and became first team regulars.

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton
Well El Abd hasn't really played at the back this season, so let's say our defence has been Whing - Elphick - Hawkins - Richards. That's basically the same as last season, with Hawkins in for Lynch. That change in itself, in my opinion, has contributed massively, because Hawkins has been at fault on plenty of occasions. I think Lynch and Elphick was perfectly balanced, and Elphick doesn't look quite so sure with Hawkins next to him.

Just as importantly though, and I know it's a repetitive point, but our midfield is a joke. Up until the last two or three games where we've managed to get Thornton and Johnson in together to stop the rot, we've just been playing people who aren't good enough either defensively or going forward. At the moment, I think ANY defenders we put out there would look poor because they're subjected to 90 minutes of players running right at them after brushing our midfield aside. Sort the midfield out PERMANENTLY, and I think a lot of our problems would vanish.

I think you are spot on here Badger. The midfield is a real problem for us this season as the players who are contracted to the club are just not good enough. The defence has no protection as we dont have a holding midfielder who i feel is actually any good. I do think that alot of people are heping alot of criticism on Hawkins, but its not as easy as this Whing and Richards let people have so much time to get balls in the box which evedentally put the center back's under so much pressure.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't like to have a go at players but you have pushed me into it and now I am beginning to rant. I would say that of the professionals (ignoring the first year pros) Mayo, Hart, Loft, Robinson, Dixon and Chamberlain (on the basis that if he has not made it yet, he never will) should be released at the end of the season. Of the others, Fraser may well not be good enough and Hawkins has certainly not had a fantastic start.

Having said all this, I would like to point out it is all opinion and I would be delighted if any or all of them proved me wrong and became first team regulars.

That is not a long enough list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here