Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton v Wolves, League Cup, 1969...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
These games were my introduction to the Albion. My first match was Portsmouth ("Who's that goalie with the big fat arse - Milkins, Milkins ") and I saw both the Birmingham and Wolves game. Wolves looked like Gods.

They were all fantastic games in an amazing atmosphere - I was lucky compared to those whose introduction to the Albion was in the dog-days at the Goldstone, Priestfield, and Withdean.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was there. I remember only 1 incident from the match; One of the Wolves ran through and lobbed the keeper and the ball bounced over the bar!

Exactly. It was definitely going to go in - and it seemed to take a kick up and sailed over the bar. We put it down to bouncing on a coin that that was thrown onto the pitch. We were young ...........

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
My first game stood on the chicken Run

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My first evening game having just turned 9. I just remember the atmosphere bring so much better than the afternoon matches i had been to in the previous 2 seasons.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
was it the first all ticket game at the Goldstone?

I think this was all-ticket: Brighton vs. Chelsea FA Cup 4th Round 18 February 1967.

I was at both matches - remember the Chelsea one better than Wolves, but do remember the disappointment of the Wolves Winner after it looked as if we might get there.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Johnny Haynes, an old maestro looking from a different era. hardly left the centre circle except to stroll to the edge of the box and score probably his last league goal, a low drive from a corner. Always had time, the young Fulham players played it to him and he'd ping long accurate passes all over the place.

Kit napier did score against Bury direct from a corner (Terrry McDermott was a teenage star for Bury) and that wasn't the only goal Kit scored direct from a corner.

some other notable mentions who might of played at the Goldstone that season

Ken Beamish (Tranmere)
Bert Murray,Bob Latchford (Bir'min)
Dennis Rofe,Terry Mancini (Orient)
Fred Binney (Torquay)
Stuart Boam,Duncan McKenzie (Mansfield)
Dave Watson,Neil Warnock (Rotherham)
Malcolm MacDonald,Chris Nicholl (Luton)
Eion Hand,George Ley,Brian Bromley (Pompey)
Phil Parkes (Walsall)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Slightly off topic and on the TV theme, electrical goods certainly have bucked the trend in inflation. I reckon most rented their sets, we certainly did, from Rediffusion, and we had a cable network way back then in the 60's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here