Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton v Wolves, League Cup, 1969...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think Lutton started the match,no Bailey or Doogan,but Phil Parkes in goal

I think Lutton started too. It was a cracking game, my first ever evening match and I still remember the thrill of coming down Newtown Road and seeing the floodlights on

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think Lutton started the match,no Bailey or Doogan,but Phil Parkes in goal

Quite possible. David Woodfield certainly wore Dougan's number 9 shirt (and scored, I think) and I have a feeling Les Wilson played instead of Bailey. But Hugh Curran scored twice, and I presume he started, so was Lutton playing wide? Anyone got a 70-71 Rothman's? Tim carder's excellent A-Z says that Lutton played a part in this game, but doesn't say whether as a sub or a starter.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Quite possible. David Woodfield certainly wore Dougan's number 9 shirt (and scored, I think) and I have a feeling Les Wilson played instead of Bailey. But Hugh Curran scored twice, and I presume he started, so was Lutton playing wide? Anyone got a 70-71 Rothman's? Tim carder's excellent A-Z says that Lutton played a part in this game, but doesn't say whether as a sub or a starter.

don't have Carder's A-Z (what a read that must be) but have the programme with amendments inside

it has Lutton starting in the number 8 shirt with Paul Walker as sub

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I still have that supplement somewhere. From back in the days when the Argus was a proper newspaper. If memory serves me correctly, the tickets went on sale at the home game to Barrow, which meant, rather implausibly, a 20,000 crowd.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Brighton v Wolves programme from 1979/80 lists the 1969 line-up for Wolves as:

Parkes, Shaw, Parkin, Wilson, Holsgrove, Munro, McCalliog, Lutton, Woodfield, Curran and Wagstaff.

(Derek Parkin was the only survivor in the Wolves side by Albion's First Division days).

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I still have that supplement somewhere. From back in the days when the Argus was a proper newspaper. If memory serves me correctly, the tickets went on sale at the home game to Barrow, which meant, rather implausibly, a 20,000 crowd.

was it the first all ticket game at the Goldstone?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In the build up to the Wolves game this article appeared in the Argus:

goodwingastorade2.jpg

In America, Freddie discovered a product developed by the University of Florida for the Gemini space programme that has a sporting application. It is a powder form drink called Gatorade. A 2oz packet makes two pints of a delicious drink tasting something like sherbet. But it is the effect on footballers that impressed Goodwin.

“Quick replacement of salt has been a problem for ages, but Gatorade overcomes this. The salt lost in the first half is replaced almost immediately, and I think our players are all the better for drinking this during the interval. It is used at Wimbledon, and I believe Liverpool are trying it.”

The powder contains glucose, citric acid, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, gum acacia, sodium orthophosphate, potassium orthophosphate, chloride, flavourings, and colour. One swig and the players take on the aspect of cartoon characters in a speeded-up film…

The old ritual of a steak three hours before an away game has been replaced by Freddie introducing the players to a pre-match cup of tea, slice of toast, and honey.

“I have always felt that there is a tendency to eat too much, particularly when travelling. I changed our eating habits on the summer tour or Ireland, and the players say they feel better for it. I think sometimes there has been a little lethargy on the field as a result of eating steak. The lads seem to go much better on honey.”

http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/02/05/albions-secret-weapon-in-1969-energy-drinks/

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It was quite a cup run. Albion were mid div 3 and Portsmouth were lower Div 2 (but always getting the Southern TV coverage) so it was quite a coup to beat them 1-0 in the 1st round with, up to that time, the biggest crowd I'd been in of some 20,000.

Birmingham in round 2 looked a glamour tie. they were near the top of div 2 and, in the preceding league game, had smashed QPR 3-0 with danger man Burt Murray scoring a hat-trick. Yet we saw them off 2-0 infront of 24,000.

Round 3 and 1st division Wolves, a real glamour tie and my 1st chance to see a div one team. Made all ticket and tickets were sold on the gate at the uninspiring league fixture v Barrow. A great way to sell tickets, quicker that ticket office queues and the big game fans have to also pay for a game they wouldn't otherwise have gone to. Our gate of 20,000 was more than twice the league average.

The Wolves game was 32,000. Can't think why I had a ticket in the east when I was in the west for the Barrow game. Atmosphere was electric and Albion twice took the lead, with toilet rolls raining down on the net. There were some great pics in the following Albion programmes, if anyone can bring them over from Hiney's site.

It was a great pity that Derek 'The Doog' didn't play, he was one of footballs top characters. Mike Bailey was a great player, shame his management style did not follow. Goalie Phil Parkes is not to be confused with his goalkeeping namesake and Peter Knowles, brother of Tottenhams Cyril and a 'bad boy' of football, turn his back on the game to become a Jev Witness.

Thanks for the memories!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bernard Shaw - Wolves. Don't get footballers with a name like that these days!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I might be wrong but I'm sure that was the game when Kit Napier scored direct from a corner at the north end?

sure someone will put me right ..............the BARROW PLAYERS ALL SEEMED VERY BEWILDERED:D

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I might be wrong but I'm sure that was the game when Kit Napier scored direct from a corner at the north end?

sure someone will put me right ..............the BARROW PLAYERS ALL SEEMED VERY BEWILDERED:D

It was a different game. Lawton and Spearritt were the scorers for the Albion in a 2-0 win over Barrow.

Barrow's highest ever attendance at their own ground was 16,874 and their average home gate the previous season was 4,500. Must have been amazing for their players to play to 21,000 or so supporters!!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
did Johnny Haynes grace the Goldstone turf for Fulham,he was listed in the programme?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
did Johnny Haynes grace the Goldstone turf for Fulham,he was listed in the programme?

He did indeed. And wasn't it against Bury that Kit Napier scored direct from a corner? It had been coming ...

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Johnny Haynes, an old maestro looking from a different era. hardly left the centre circle except to stroll to the edge of the box and score probably his last league goal, a low drive from a corner. Always had time, the young Fulham players played it to him and he'd ping long accurate passes all over the place.

Kit napier did score against Bury direct from a corner (Terrry McDermott was a teenage star for Bury) and that wasn't the only goal Kit scored direct from a corner.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That ad for the TV is a bit of an eye-opener. £45 deposit (£627 in today's prices) and then 18/6 a week (£13 today). So your first year would cost the equivalent of £1400

Wonder how many takers they had?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Johnny Haynes, an old maestro looking from a different era. hardly left the centre circle except to stroll to the edge of the box and score probably his last league goal, a low drive from a corner. Always had time, the young Fulham players played it to him and he'd ping long accurate passes all over the place.

Kit napier did score against Bury direct from a corner (Terrry McDermott was a teenage star for Bury) and that wasn't the only goal Kit scored direct from a corner.

I only ever saw Jonny Haynes once while I lived in Shrewsbury he came on at half time with the score at 0-0 and as you said he never came out of the centre circle he was wearing long shorts and real leather boots he was supreme and made all of the winning passes in a 4-0 win
along with the other Jonny Giles he could put a football on a sixpence

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
anyone go to the Reading Good Friday game,over 32k

That crowd came a bit out of the blue if I remember correctly. Got helped down as a nipper and sat on the running track in the north west where the radio Brighton box eventually ended up. Those 3 cup games were excellent. Queued up for the Wolves tickets at the Barrow game and we got 20k for that.

BARROW ..... Bloody hell.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Not football related but I love the old adverts. The long jacket at bradleys looks good as does the merc with the funky doors. Cannot work out the TV deal, how much was £45 in those days compared to now?

It was certainly played in a cracking atmosphere. We went 2-1 ahead as I recall - both our goals were scored in front of the North Stand and both were greeted with a hail of toilet rolls (that was what we did in those days). I was at the Birmingham game too but I can't remember anything about it.

Didn't we all bunk off an evening Speech Day at Hove CGS to go to this one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here