Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Brighton" v "Albion"

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Albion for me 80% of the time although i do say i support Brighton if asked as an example....in the main locals always refer to the club as Albion..

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There's (apparently) another team or two who enjoy the sobriquet "Albion" which seems to confuse some into thinking we might be flare trousered three star jumper wearing midlanders or worse if we omitted the Brighton element in general chit-chat.

There is, obviously, only one Brighton* in the United Kingdom

*in don't know if New Brighton have a team.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brighton_Tower_F.C.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brighton_A.F.C.
https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/new-brighton/

attachment.php

Attachments

• newbrightoncopyright.jpg
    newbrightoncopyright.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 603

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Where I work there's a number of West Brom and Burton fans so I purposely use "Brighton" these days to avoid any confusion!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Albion with those in the know, brighton otherwise

This exactly - Albion with my brother and fellow STH. Brighton to any else over here who knows where my interest lies.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I say "The Albion" to my Albion watching family.
If someone asks who do you support I'd probably give the full monty: "Brighton & Hove Albion".

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
My son (admittedly, he's very young, reception school age) refers to us as the 'Brighton Seagulls'....so a complete mash-up there, and not an 'Albion' in sight!!!

Ditto to most on here, Albion to fellow fans, Brighton to the "which team do you support?" question

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Supported all my life, been going to games for 40 odd years and I probably use Brighton mostly, but sometimes I say Albion. I guess that's just the whacky and unpredictable kind of guy I am.
I knew you were going to say that.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Brighton to outsiders but 'Albion' at all other times and for a good reason. Historically, the club represented two towns - Brighton and Hove - so Brighton on its own is wrong.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Pretty much spot on. Non-Brighton and Hove Albion followers call us Brighton. For locals (ie those in Sussex) and fans, it's the Albion. For the media it's the Seagulls, preceded by Super, Soaraway, Sensational, Scintillating, or any other hysteria inducing label.

Swooping, you forgot swooping. Especially in the transfer market; we always 'swoop' to a new signing. Always.

But yeah, I'm the same as most. When people from outside of our great Seagull Nation ask me who I support I always say 'Brighton'. Amongst our own I tend to say 'Albion', or obviously 'us' or we'.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I use Albion on social media or when talking to other fans but when talking to non-fans I say Brighton as I assume they'd have no idea who the albion are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here