Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey

GarryC

Sep 23, 2013
253693_220710361292542_2383709_n.jpg260483_220547641308814_739690_n.jpg262635_220709777959267_3571605_n.jpg407506_344324605597783_118056758_n.jpgbrighton tigers.jpg Just some pictures of the Brighton Tigers from my dads collection. My dad is Johnny Carlyle who played for and coached the Tigers.

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
View attachment 47194View attachment 47195View attachment 47196View attachment 47197View attachment 47198 Just some pictures of the Brighton Tigers from my dads collection. My dad is Johnny Carlyle who played for and coached the Tigers.

Well you have got something to be proud about. Johnny Carlisle was an awesome defender and as tough as they come. I have great memories of some of his body checks. He'd draw gasps from the crowd. He was a member of a great team, a real hero. I wish I'd kept my ice hockey memorabilia. Make sure you look after yours.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Well you have got something to be proud about. Johnny Carlisle was an awesome defender and as tough as they come. I have great memories of some of his body checks. He'd draw gasps from the crowd. He was a member of a great team, a real hero. I wish I'd kept my ice hockey memorabilia. Make sure you look after yours.

If only we could bring them back, like I said in my thread a while ago the Man U of ice hockey in their day. As I said maybe this could be Tony Blooms next venture. Would be awesome if he could.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If you like ice skating try the tempoary rink at the Royal Pavilion or just go and watch and have a beer. It's fantastic skating with the backdrop of the Royal Pavilion . Well done Brighton!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A very good mates Dad used to play for them and I have met many of the ex players from the 50's/60's, real sportsmen.

Had many a chat with Bob Mcneil, Mike O'Brien, John Cook, Anthony 'Tim' Wiltshire, Rupe Fresher, Billy Pierson and previously I met and spoke with Bob Braganola, Roy Yeates, Nobby Richardson, Jack Macdonald and Nipper Millard seems many of them ended up living in the Peacehaven area.

Many have died or are all getting on a bit these days but you can tell in their stories what a great sport and a great era it was.

They remind me that at the time they were a bigger deal than the Albion..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A very good mates Dad used to play for them and I have met many of the ex players from the 50's/60's, real sportsmen.

Had many a chat with Bob Mcneil, Mike O'Brien, John Cook, Anthony 'Tim' Wiltshire, Rupe Fresher, Billy Pierson and previously I met and spoke with Bob Braganola, Roy Yeates, Nobby Richardson, Jack Macdonald and Nipper Millard seems many of them ended up living in the Peacehaven area.

Many have died or are all getting on a bit these days but you can tell in their stories what a great sport and a great era it was.

They remind me that at the time they were a bigger deal than the Albion..

Apart from 64, they were. It made for a great weekend, watching the Albion on a Saturday afternoon and the Tigers on Sunday evening.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have been doing a fair bit of research over the last few months in preparation for a book I am planning on The Tigers. Anyone who has any pics etc or would like to contribute either as someone who used to watch them or a relative of a player, please do DM me.

One thing I would say to anyone who has old programmes or Tigers stuff knocking about and is thinking of getting rid of it. Be careful. Some of the programmes go for a fortune (in the last couple of weeks there have been some from the 1950s which went for £75 each on eBay and a 1937 one looks likely to top £100).

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have been doing a fair bit of research over the last few months in preparation for a book I am planning on The Tigers. Anyone who has any pics etc or would like to contribute either as someone who used to watch them or a relative of a player, please do DM me.

One thing I would say to anyone who has old programmes or Tigers stuff knocking about and is thinking of getting rid of it. Be careful. Some of the programmes go for a fortune (in the last couple of weeks there have been some from the 1950s which went for £75 each on eBay and a 1937 one looks likely to top £100).

Which players have you already contacted ?

I will probably be able to get you a few numbers if you havent already that might be of some help.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The "Tigers" name still plays on in ice hockey - the Telford Tigers. Unfortunately, they are a poor side and cannot compare to the old Brighton Tigers. If Brighton did resurrect an ice hockey team would they still be able to use the name "tigers"?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

I did reply by PM to your original request last year, but you didn't get back to me.

:shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If the club could somehow conjure up a way of Brighton Tigers (or Seagulls!) playing ice hockey at the Amex, then there would be a multitude of winners. And yes, I know they'd need a roof of some sort, not to mention an ice rink, but I'm sure these things could be conjured up with a suitable injection of cash. After all, we currently have an ice rink set up in the grounds of the Pavilion.
Think of the pies! The pints! The merchandising! The children of Mile Oak! Make it happen! :clap:

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
If the club could somehow conjure up a way of Brighton Tigers (or Seagulls!) playing ice hockey at the Amex, then there would be a multitude of winners. And yes, I know they'd need a roof of some sort, not to mention an ice rink, but I'm sure these things could be conjured up with a suitable injection of cash. After all, we currently have an ice rink set up in the grounds of the Pavilion. :clap:
Would be fantastic!

lifer

May 6, 2013
An awesome thread...was a regular at SS Brighton from the late 50s - don't recall ever missing a home game. Sunday nights were sacrosanct and the occasional Saturday afternoons, too, for the odd televised game (it was a bit crazy in b&w and without the technology to match the pace of the game) but live was fantastic. Well remember the visiting aircraft carrier team - they used to practice on the flight deck, apparently - we always stood (it was cheaper!) and for that game were alongside half the crew...unforgettable experience for a couple of young kids barely allowed out on our own!

It was about the same time I started with the Albion - but the Tigers got priority. A great team...the likes of Jackie Dryburgh, Mike OBrian, Red Imrie, Roy Shepherd, Nipper Millard ('til his tragic career stopper accident) et al. Would love for the Albion to reach the dominance of the Tigers...could it happen?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I just snapped up about 20 programmes and some old newspaper cuttings this morning.

Will set aside a few hours next week to upload as much of them and the rest of my collection as I can to my Tigers website. Not updated it for months, so appologies all round on that front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here