Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton the least clinical side in the championship?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Its the way we have been set up to play, hopefully things can be sorted over the summer

It's got nothing to do with the way we set up. We have created at least 4 really good opportunities, and failed to score any of them. We could change it in the summer and create 8 really good opportunities and still score none. We have suffered with a poor goal to chances record since we moved to the Amex. Just need someone who can convert / gain some confidence in front of goal.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've defended us (and Oscar) and got behind the long term plan. I've understood that Rome wasn't built in a day and that FFP means we have to choose our players and their compensation sensibly.

Yet tonight Leicester's goal keeper - yes their KEEPER - scored for them. That's how much they want it and, by comparison, that's how much we don't. We either have the wrong players playing for the right manager or the right players playing for the wrong manager. Fail to score, fail to go up. If you look at the table now the top six sides are those with the best goal difference and the bottom three are the three with the worst. The points to games played ratio says we can still get in the playoffs. The reality is we couldn't finish our dinner if we'd been starved.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's got nothing to do with the way we set up. We have created at least 4 really good opportunities, and failed to score any of them. We could change it in the summer and create 8 really good opportunities and still score none. We have suffered with a poor goal to chances record since we moved to the Amex. Just need someone who can convert / gain some confidence in front of goal.

It's everything to do with how you set up. When your central striker is that isolated no one is following up on saves / rebounds / mistakes and there's no one to have a cheeky pop on a lucky break. If we miss a chance it's gone. If other teams miss they keep it alive.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Depends what you class as good chances

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Andrews, Jake and Ince do not show enough creativity and imagination from the central area. Final ball tends to be woeful and we are unable to get enough players in and around the box to support the lone striker.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
We have the most clean sheets in the Championship. Goals will not come thick and fast with that stat on your record.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
If you consistently play one up front, teams learn easily how to defend against it. Ulloa has the lions share of the chances because he is the only target man. Were not quick and as such become easy to defend against. This is down to the manager and his style of play. Two managers in three years trying to apply Old Spanish thinling to the Championship leaves us falling short. We may need a rethink.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Why not? Clean sheets are taking us nowhere, I go to watch goals not clean sheets.

Because we are simply a defensive side. I'm saying any team with the most clean sheets in the division will by its nature not score many goals. Not saying that's what I want but it's what we got!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Defensively we're brilliant. Which is where you do need to build from, if we didn't have a solid defence we would do terrible. And you're right, we are absolutely dreadful at even getting shots on target, and I have absolutely no idea why. It's frustrating when we've beaten teams 6-1 and then we can't score for love nor money against the next.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
If you look at any high scoring team they will normally have 6 or 7 players in the box for every cross. We are lucky to have 3! This is simpl football and we don't do it!

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
A lack of something different from midfield is one reason, and the fact that if you play only one striker he needs to be quick. Ulloa is a good player, good in the air, but not the quickest.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Defensively we're brilliant. Which is where you do need to build from, if we didn't have a solid defence we would do terrible. And you're right, we are absolutely dreadful at even getting shots on target, and I have absolutely no idea why. It's frustrating when we've beaten teams 6-1 and then we can't score for love nor money against the next.

Defensively we are brilliant because we have been able to pretty much pick the same players for every game.
I don't know when the last time was that we were able to pick the same midfield and attack 2 games on the trot but for me, that is the issue. It is rather difficult to play to any given style if you cannot pick the same team consistently.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
In reply to the original post.

I did mention in another thread something about injuries......

For example;

Last season Ulloas shots to goal ration was just around 1 goal every 3 shots. Also over 40% of his shots were on target.

This season it's taken him over 5 shots per goal, and his accuracy is around 35%.

(these include cup games)

I think it might be because he's been carrying an injury or returning from one for a significant amount of the season.

As another example.

On average Buckley has more shots this season per game (2.2 for 13/14 vs 1.1 for 12/13), and has been less accurate (34% vs 55% on target). And ultimately has converted fewer.(8% vs 22% shots/goals)

He's also been affected by injury.

Plus we've sold Barnes and whatever people thought of him, he did score a few.

We are creating chances and not converting them.

Anyway I've said all this in the Garcia out thread.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Think we need to just settle for one defensive midfielder. He appears to have been playing two since Bridcutt left and it just doesn't give us enough bodies up front. Barnes leaving and the injury to Crofts had meant no real penetration into opposing 18 yd box, other than Ulloa who can't get on the end of everything that manages to get there ( and when it does, he seems to forget how to stick it away). With injuries to Hoskins and CMH, there are precious few alternatives. If there are players available to borrow, I suspect the decent ones are too rdpensive and the cheaper ones - well that's why they are avaiable and cheap!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here