Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton sign Harper

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
8-10 weeks wasn't it? I'm not expecting him til end of Sept.

He is the player I am looking forward to seeing the most out of all the new signings but given we have signed quite a lot I don't think he will be rushed

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Um...

How is a seat in a PORTUGUESE restaurant meant to make someone that used to live in SPAIN feel more at home? ??? Did all the tapas places in Brighton turn "The Sport Bible" down?

It's a bit like an English player going abroad and getting his own pint in an Irish bar :ffsparr:

Let alone a SOUTH AFRICAN one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
8-10 weeks wasn't it? I'm not expecting him til end of Sept.
He is the player I am looking forward to seeing the most out of all the new signings but given we have signed quite a lot I don't think he will be rushed
I'm not expecting to see him at all. What's the highest level he's ever played at, and whom would he be replacing?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not expecting to see him at all. What's the highest level he's ever played at, and whom would he be replacing?
A few DS games, and then a place on the bench I'd hope.

To be brought on when appropriate and for whoever needs replacing given the state of the game.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

To be brought on when appropriate and for whoever needs replacing given the state of the game.

Indeed. I don't see him ftting into the current 4-4-2 as he's neither a winger nor a box to box midfielder. However, if we need to / choose to switch to 4-3-1-2 (or simply 4-3-3 with a player behind the front 2) then he's ideal to drop in there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, on the bench ahead of the likes of Zamora and Elvis? If we've got injuries, then he could be on the bench, but I still wouldn't expect him to play unless we've got a couple of strikers out. Surely he's a prospect for the future, not a first team option this season?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So, on the bench ahead of the likes of Zamora and Elvis? If we've got injuries, then he could be on the bench, but I still wouldn't expect him to play unless we've got a couple of strikers out. Surely he's a prospect for the future, not a first team option this season?
I always like a bench of 1 keeper, 2 defenders, 1 defensive midfielder, 3 attacking options.

So 1 of the 3 attacking options, maybe alongside Zamora and Elvis. Of course, he has to earn that place.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

You think we prized him from Real Madrid with the promise of playing him but you think we won't? Stephens and Kayal won't play every game, and sometimes we'll play with a no.10 which he has the potential to play too. He's not played for the RM first team, and presumably he never would have done hence coming here. Presumably he sees it as a target to play in the first team, and we sold him the idea it could happen.
You're a glass half drunk kinda guy aren't you.

EDIT: W've only got him for two seasons so we've got to start using him if we think he's good enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed. I don't see him ftting into the current 4-4-2 as he's neither a winger nor a box to box midfielder.
Or a midfielder of any sort. Sorry, have I got the wrong player here? I thought he was a forward.
However, if we need to / choose to switch to 4-3-1-2 (or simply 4-3-3 with a player behind the front 2)
433 doesn't have a front 2, it has a front 1, with a couple of wide forwards, like Elvis, Baldock, March. I can't see us playing 4312.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This. Not sure how we would get in the first 11? - possibly a sub

We don't know how good he is yet. Hughton will see him in training, and if he thinks at some point he is good enough for a starting place, that's fine by me. Whoever he replaces, it will be because Hughton reckons Harper is better; sounds fair enough to me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You think we prized him from Real Madrid with the promise of playing him but you think we won't?
He's not played for the RM first team, and presumably he never would have done hence coming here.
Well I'd guess that the latter was true - he was never going to get in RM's first team, whereas he should get in ours at some point, but that's not the promise of playing him any time soon. He has signed as a development squad player, he's not been given a number in our main squad has he.

You're a glass half drunk kinda guy aren't you.
Do you not pay much attention on NSC? If you did, you'd know that's not the case. I've never seen Harper play, maybe he's miles better than I realise, but he doesn't appear to have ever played at a decent level, so I'm expecting it will take a while before he's in our first team. If I'm wrong, and he's a football genius, great.

EDIT: W've only got him for two seasons so we've got to start using him if we think he's good enough.
If we think he's good enough, we'll start playing him because we think he's good enough. Nothing to do with his contract length. 2 years is plenty of time still. And if we want him at the end of the 2 years, he can't leave for free.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I am definitely expecting to see him play - He obviously won't walk straight into the team but I think once they see him in training I think he will be in around the fringes of the team. Apparently he is one the scouting team rate really highly, although I don't think Chris has seen that much of him yet

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He signed on July 24th when he was "8 weeks away from seeing action"
So assuming his recovery has been going ok, Nandos trips permitting, then he's probably about a fortnight or so away from a run out in the u21s/DS.
Maybe Stoke on the 21st Sept or Blackburn Rovers on the 28th Sept.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
He signed on July 24th when he was "8 weeks away from seeing action"
So assuming his recovery has been going ok, Nandos trips permitting, then he's probably about a fortnight or so away from a run out in the u21s/DS.
Maybe Stoke on the 21st Sept or Blackburn Rovers on the 28th Sept.

He went to Camden market on sunday :moo:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Im sure the club have previously stated that Harper is initially a DS signing with the expectation he will push for first team THIS season.

Harper himself said by xmas I believe.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Pretty sure that Brian Owen put on twitter last night that he expects to see Harper before Christmas.

From what I have sen of the lad he is a decent finisher. I am very excited about him but wouldn;t throw him into the team straight away. I seem to remember something about him being a bit lightweight when he was dropped from the Scottish U21s

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
one of the benefits of having such a strong squad is that you are in the team on merit not out of necessity and if a fringe player gets an opportunity to play due to suspension or lack of form, they better grab It with both feet. Dunk our star player knows he is not guaranteed a place in the team! How good is that? No pressure to rush Harper into the first team but hopefully if he gets the chance he will make himself undroppable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here