Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Restaurant charging waiters to work?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
When i worked at http://www.mosimann.com a private members restaurant off Knightsbridge i wasn't allowed to keep any tips and any i got was to be given to the management and divided between the full time staff and management. Needless to say i showed that rule with the contempt it deserved but its *****ing still wrong especially as the part-timers were always the most financially vulnerable people. Hit the picture of Mosimann and Margaret Thatcher on the staircase whenever i passed it; small victories.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I read of another chain of restaurants recently that pockets all the tips and orders the staff to tell customers the tips go to them, cannot remember the chain

It's Cote.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tip fiddling by big chain restaurants has been going on for ages. I'm glad this is finally being highlighted. I'm not against chains per se, but please look after your staff. Topping up wages with tips, and taking admin fees, is utter shit house and we as punters should challenge it or boycott.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Liberals are the right-wingers these days :smile:

Liberalism vaules individualism over the state and could be seen as right wing but its not necessarily so (as the song goes). The Liberal Party is different, especially after merging with the Social Democrats

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Liberalism vaules individualism over the state and could be seen as right wing but its not necessarily so (as the song goes). The Liberal Party is different, especially after merging with the Social Democrats

Agreed. There's a difference between Liberals (or the Liberal Party) and liberals, Conservatives (or the Tories, or the Conservative Party) and conservatives, Republicans (or the Republican Party) and republicans.

I won't go on, apart from saying it's the last of these that's most misunderstood.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Out of interest who penned this catchy ditty?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Well it best not be shite....if the poor buggers are relying on tips as their salary. :rant:

Paid nothing and relying on scraps which the bosses want to take away. It's only for work experience, working at McDonalds pays more. Britain is a country of shit wages and therefore shit service. The service industry is the most poorly paid, yet it's the one most people come into contact with on a daily basis.
'Blast those pesky students wanting to keep their tips. I've got a que of Albanians that will pay ME to work!'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It all went wrong when companies came up with the idea thatl tips should be shared between all staff. You tip a person because your happy with THIER service and not some scrote washing the dishes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It all went wrong when companies came up with the idea thatl tips should be shared between all staff. You tip a person because your happy with THIER service and not some scrote washing the dishes.

They all play a part. I don't have an issue with splitting the tips.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Would you tip the waiting staff if your food was served on a dirty plate?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Far too many wonderful, family run restaurants in town to need to bother with chains.
Cote not the same since Ivy Caring sold out and standards slipped, eg paper for linen napkins for a £28 steak , disgrace

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The attachment states that the waiters are being asked to hand back 3% of the evening sales that they are responsible for, which on £1000 would be £30.

Assuming that service is not included, then any tips are likely to around 10% which immediately reduces to 7%. However some may not tip, or just leave a few pound coins if paid by card which is where you can see the waiters having to pay to work.

The excuse given by the owners is a poor one as this should be coming out of the profit and reduced wages they offer.

Also i seem to recall that HMRC assumed that waiters would take home a certain amount in tips, and this was included in their tax code, so they code be losing out further.

This all seems like a lot of hot air without any of the salient facts...

Are the staff taking home a decent living wage once salary, tips and this "fee" are all taken into account?

Where is the money going? If the 3% "fee" is being used to tip the kitchen staff (who are just as important but never recognised) then, in all honesty, I have no issue with this.

If the fee is being skimmed off by management for themselves or the owners, then this is exploitative and exactly this thing that has been hitting the news recently.

I started out in a service industry where small tips were common (if you work in a bar in the NW of England and were told "one for yourself" you took 10p out of the change, dropped it in a pot by the till and shared it with the others on your shift at the end of the night). When I moved from bar staff to assistant manager the first thing that happened was I was no longer getting a share of the tips. I would still put the "one for yourself" in the jar but no longer got a share.... and I have to say that this is right and proper. The bigger shock came when I moved South and when I first said "and one for yourself" and got stung for a gin and tonic!

As for a "few pound coins".... Even £3 being left where there is no service charge would mean the waiting staff getting something provided the bill was under £100. There really can't be many people who wouldn't leave something more substantial on a £100 meal.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Get this then. A food outlet that I know but do not use, employs illegal foreign workers only. Staff must pay £100 to start work. They get £3 an hour paid two weeks in arrears. When they leave, which is generally after a month, they lose all pay due.
So you are going to say 'report him'. But to who? No government body was interested at all.

Illegal workers are the responsibility of the Home Office. They have an online site where you can shop people for immigration offences.

https://www.gov.uk/report-immigration-crime

If it's a national minimum wage issue, inform HM Revenue and Customs and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. The like naming and shaming small employers, so will probably leap on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here