Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Restaurant charging waiters to work?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I did think of that but then we couldn't tell them why we weren't going to eat there.

True, maybe we could all go and eat at Chilli Pickle, then just tell them on the way home why we didn't eat there. That way we get a nice meal out and get to make a point without going out of our way.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
True, maybe we could all go and eat at Chilli Pickle, then just tell them on the way home why we didn't eat there. That way we get a nice meal out and get to make a point without going out of our way.

This is a very good idea, but don't tell that to Westdene. For some reason, he doesn't like/much care for Chilli Pickle. On this, I think he's wrong.
I also think most of the suggestions on here are wrong, but that's because not only do I differ organoleptically from Westdene, I also differ politically and philosophically from many on this board.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
its outrageous, surely there is legislation to stop this sort of thing ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

NSC and a curry night out ..... what could go wrong ..... who could possibly organise it ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I read of another chain of restaurants recently that pockets all the tips and orders the staff to tell customers the tips go to them, cannot remember the chain
It was Cote.

This is a very good idea, but don't tell that to Westdene. For some reason, he doesn't like/much care for Chilli Pickle. On this, I think he's wrong.
I also think most of the suggestions on here are wrong, but that's because not only do I differ organoleptically from Westdene, I also differ politically and philosophically from many on this board.
Worst service I've ever had a restaurant in Brighton when I went to the Chilli Pickle. Highlight being them bringing us a bottle of red wine when we asked for the sauvignon blanc. The food was poor too, though my wife has been back since and said it was good.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If the tills were regularly down then the bosses should have just kept firing people until they were correct. That would soon stop the thieving, and 'miscalculation' of change.

Im sure you only meant that those who should be fired were those that were systematically stealing regularly from the tills(restaurants do this anyway) and not waiters who make genuine mistakes(even regularly),the best option for the latter is better training and systems in place to aid the waiter.People simply make genuine mistakes,firing is not always the best option simply to get the staff to tow the line.

As an aside,us the consumers can do our little bit to help.Stop putting any discretionary tips on your card and leave cash instead. Putting them on a card virtually guarantees they will go through the "system" of the establishment,and therefore the waiter is liable to tax on these tips.In establishments that have a fair policy paying cash could mean there is a much higher chance the waiter is getting the money that was intended by you.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Last year my works Xmas do was there and there was 25 of us drinking heavy and eating. Company paid for it so i hope was an automatic 10% or more as knowing my boss he didn't put a tip on top as he would save the money for the pub crawl afterwards. That would have been a hefty wedge for the waiters to pay back! :(
I have signed the petition.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Im sure you only meant that those who should be fired were those that were systematically stealing regularly from the tills(restaurants do this anyway) and not waiters who make genuine mistakes(even regularly),the best option for the latter is better training and systems in place to aid the waiter.People simply make genuine mistakes,firing is not always the best option simply to get the staff to tow the line.

Of course, only those who are guilty should be fired. I'm not really sure how any business can get in to a situation where tills are so consistently down that you have a contingency plan for it. Seems a bit suspicious all round to me.

As an aside,us the consumers can do our little bit to help.Stop putting any discretionary tips on your card and leave cash instead. Putting them on a card virtually guarantees they will go through the "system" of the establishment,and therefore the waiter is liable to tax on these tips.In establishments that have a fair policy paying cash could mean there is a much higher chance the waiter is getting the money that was intended by you.

Very good advice. I always tip in cash, but not everyone knows this.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I often tip in cash but always ask if a company takes the auto tip or not. One issue that concerns me is that no one else gets a share , eg chef, if i pay in cash

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I often tip in cash but always ask if a company takes the auto tip or not. One issue that concerns me is that no one else gets a share , eg chef, if i pay in cash

I worked in the industry for almost 10 years and that last issue you raise is normally overcome in one of two ways :

1. Some places I've worked cash tips are pooled and then shared out as a ratio - i.e. waiting staff get a bigger percentage than say chefs because they have the front facing role.

2. Chefs etc get paid more anyway.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Ive worked with quite a few chefs over the years,a small minority of whom the only tips i would give are stop scratching your nuts,cooking brandy is for cooking not drinking and dont sleep in the wheelie bin

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here