• The World's End

Votes: 28 32.6%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Neither received a single nomination.

I actually rather like the North Laine but don't know that I'd put it forward for this competition because whilst it serves its purpose well I'm not sure I'd class it a classic boozer.

As for the Eagle, I like the place but it's ever so expensive. And it probably suffers from being opposite the Basketmakers too, which distracts people

I'm not saying either are GREAT, but they're both a DARN sight better than The World's End, in my opinion.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Craft Beer Co is just a jumped up Wetherspoons. World's End has the BBQ Shack. World's End for me.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
The World's End suffers from being on London Road. If it was situated somewhere not associated with bums, benefit-scroungers and dealers you can bet your life it would be more popular.

By no means is it perfect - it's not exactly cosy and has an odd lay-out, but it does serve a purpose as a decent pub that does a great bit of grub.

Still, it's the Craft Beer Co for me in this one. Friendly and knowledgeable staff can go a long way sometimes.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Brighton Pub World Cup Second Round - Craft

Craft Beer Co.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forum Fiend v1.0.1.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
not saying its not good what they're trying to do, but i just recall being shocked at the price of a round, and im used to London prices. what we where drinking certinly wasnt 2.90.

They make a point of always having the 'house' (Kent Brewery) ale on which is 2.90 last time I was in there. The hand pump prices go up from there and are priced according to ABV but none of it is outragously priced. The stuff on the electric hand pumps starts at around the 4 pound mark (I think) for UK breweries but the non-UK small batch brews will be pricey due to, well, being brewed by small artisan breweries and shipped over to the UK. But, there is something for every price range in Craft Beer. Also, the staff are very friendly and helpful which is important. I always have a great time in this place and to complain about the prices is like moaning that Rolls Royces are expensive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rant over. Good to see that it is winning and to also see so many positive responses. I shall be dropping in over Xmas time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... I always have a great time in this place and to complain about the prices is like moaning that Rolls Royces are expensive.

its beer, not fudging luxury cars. dont even get me going on the pretensions at their other pubs, fortunatly something missing at the Brighton branch so one can enjoy the beer. that enjoyment is tempered by the price, good beer does not need to be expensive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
its beer, not fudging luxury cars. dont even get me going on the pretensions at their other pubs, fortunatly something missing at the Brighton branch so one can enjoy the beer. that enjoyment is tempered by the price, good beer does not need to be expensive.

You're right, good beer does not need to be expensive. And it is not in Craft. But, good beer CAN be expensive. I think Mikkeller make some of the best beers there are. But, he is small brewer based in Copenhagen so his beers will be expensive compared to similar UK based brewers. So, to have good beer I sometimes have to shell out. Same with Southern Tier and their porters; they're based in NYC. If someone can tell me about an equally good beer which is cheaper I'm all ears. I do not drink this all the time; it's a treat and a bloody nice one as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
its beer, not fudging luxury cars.

It was an anology.
Euqally you do not walk into a bar and base all your ideas on the price of the champagne sitting at the back of the beer fridge. To make a judgement based on the price of the higher end of their range is silly in my opinion.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

You keep saying it's expensive. It's not. Are you sure you went to the right pub?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Craft, as mentioned, has beer at cheap, medium and expensive price tags. It costs a bit more to ship their beer over so that's reflected in the price but I don't mind paying a bit extra every now and then to try something different. You could certainly enjoy well made beer in there for a cheaper price than most pubs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You keep saying it's expensive. It's not. Are you sure you went to the right pub?

I wonder if he got stitched up by his mates asking for the high end beers when it was his round? The old "I'm getting bored of this house ale, I will try something different, that artisanal ale from the solid gold tap looks nice-I try that" routine.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I wonder if he got stitched up by his mates asking for the high end beers when it was his round? The old "I'm getting bored of this house ale, I will try something different, that artisanal ale from the solid gold tap looks nice-I try that" routine.

"Another Pale Ale?"
"Nah, two halves of the 17% stout that's laced with Tequila please."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Say what?

Perhaps a little harsh as I think the Craft Beer Co pub is pleasant, it has certainly got a good selection of beers, but you can get the same Craft Beer Co pub experience if you go to the one near me in Brixton, or the one in Clerkenwell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here