Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton players who's name slips my mind...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I remember sitting in the stand at the away League Cup match against Leicester City in 1994. Peter Smith ran from one end of the field to the other to deliver a useful cross.

Leicester City fan next to me clearly expecting him to come a cropper yelled out 'he's still got the ball', a number of yards later 'he's STILL got the ball', repeating it louder a few times until the cross was made. Classic.

Every single run of his was like that. He looked far too tall and gangly to be able keep possession, and yet he'd ride the clumsiest of tackles and somehow emerge with the ball at his feet. Great entertaining player. Didn't he get player of the season?

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I remember seeing him playing for canvey when they got to like the 3rd leg of the FA cup or something like that and thinking I remember him from the Goldstone! How the mighty fell eh? Canvey Island!

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
I remember travelling to Hartlepool to see a team containing Phil King, Lee Doherty and Duncan McArthur scrape a 0-0.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Not going that far back but who was the loan player in the Withdean years who scrambled about like a dog on all fours in two attempts to head the ball off the toe of an opponent? It was a home game.

Oct 25, 2003
Not going that far back but who was the loan player in the Withdean years who scrambled about like a dog on all fours in two attempts to head the ball off the toe of an opponent? It was a home game.

martin thomas...he only played a few games but looked absolutely mental in all of them

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Will Packham? (Lets see how many people get this)

He threw the ball in the net against Norwich in the FA Cup, didn't he?

We've had some shocking keepers. I remember Mark Walton kicking the ball against the arse of Paul Watson in a defeat against Chester and Andy Petterson falling over whilst backtracking in a 4-2 reverse against the Gills.

I don't remember us using that many goalkeepers in the first decade of my supporting life ('90 to '99), but we must have used at least 25 in the following decade.

Also I remember meeting the Brighton keeper the same season(1995) away at Cambridge, Tall(obviously) quite attractive chap... Any ideas?
Powney wasn't tall.

He looked far too tall and gangly to be able keep possession, and yet he'd ride the clumsiest of tackles and somehow emerge with the ball at his feet. Great entertaining player.
Reminiscent of Ian Mellor (Spider) IMO.

Oct 25, 2003
packham played away at halifax at the end of our division 3 winning season, and also at home to preston in the cup

the preston game he dropped a bit of a clanger, but he also made a brilliant point blank save....think people were too harsh on him, we've certainly had worse keepers

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We've had some shocking keepers. I remember Mark Walton kicking the ball against the arse of Paul Watson in a defeat against Chester and Andy Petterson falling over whilst backtracking in a 4-2 reverse against the Gills.

And who was the goalie who threw away a point in the last minute at Bournemouth on Boxing Day a few years back when he scrambled to save a corner and instead presented the ball to a Bournemouth player who immediately knocked it into the net?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
And who was the goalie who threw away a point in the last minute at Bournemouth on Boxing Day a few years back when he scrambled to save a corner and instead presented the ball to a Bournemouth player who immediately knocked it into the net?

Wayne Henderson.

He had some decent attributes, but was a bit raw.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thank you. Believe he was keeping FDM out of the team at the time which I never quite figured out.

He did. It was a foolish decision. Very foolish.

For about half a season him and Micky Bennett (?) looked like a decent midfield pair under Horton.

Micky Bennett was atrocious. Andy Arnott was a total footballer, way ahead of his time. Xavi followed him. That is no coincidance, or unrelated. Andrea Pirlo reminds me a lot of Arnott too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here