Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton mother leaves her baby alone for 6 days

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As a new (and old) dad, this sort of things upsets me so much. As others have said the mother was clearly suffering mentally one way or other and I ask the question where was her support. It is easy to say throw the book at her, but where were her friends and family during this time? The care system? A neighbour? Anyone?

Not sure how you can conclude she was suffering mentally from that report. Her sister said she went off the rails when she was 14 but at 18 she's old enough to know don't leave a baby on their own. The baby was 20 months old so it could be that social services had been visiting but by that time were happy everything was ok!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure how you can conclude she was suffering mentally from that report. Her sister said she went off the rails when she was 14 but at 18 she's old enough to know don't leave a baby on their own. The baby was 20 months old so it could be that social services had been visiting but by that time were happy everything was ok!

Shouldn't a social worker be assigned if the kid's under a child protection order though???

It seems to this lay person that would be sensible.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
At least my 18yr old birth mother had the decency to give me up for adoption to carry on partying by all accounts. If you don’t want your child there are people out there who would happily give it a decent home and upbringing, selfish bitch.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Then don't open it? Just a thought.

I'm constantly bemused by those who open and read a thread and are then outraged at what they read. It was made clear in the thread title what was being posted / discussed and if you find reading about such real-life issues distressing, then don't open them.

How does that solve the whole reading the thread title bit?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My God, you poor sod, how awful. I agree totally, the combination of mental health, post natal depression and drugs can tip anyone in to bizarre and extreme behaviour, even overcoming the mother-child bond.

You say even overcoming the mother-child bond. Bonding is not automatic especially if there is post natal depression.
A friends sister, married, already had two children, was badly affected by post natal depression after the birth of her third child. It was unusual because she hadn’t been affected after the previous two births. She didn’t even recognise the child as hers, and had six months treatment before she started to get better. She was fortunate in that her husband managed to look after the baby with the help of the wider family.

I have no doubt the OP started this thread in a Daily Mail outrage way to get everyone wound up, without knowing any details or medical diagnoses.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
To help clarify - I thought I’d post this story because it’s headline news across much of the media today and most importantly because it happened in Brighton !

I’m sorry if it upset anyone but I find it shocking this could happen in the city I live in .

It has nothing to do with daily mail outrage as someone has implied. I actually take the Times as my newspaper of choice .

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You say even overcoming the mother-child bond. Bonding is not automatic especially if there is post natal depression.
A friends sister, married, already had two children, was badly affected by post natal depression after the birth of her third child. It was unusual because she hadn’t been affected after the previous two births. She didn’t even recognise the child as hers, and had six months treatment before she started to get better. She was fortunate in that her husband managed to look after the baby with the help of the wider family.

I have no doubt the OP started this thread in a Daily Mail outrage way to get everyone wound up, without knowing any details or medical diagnoses.

Yet when I suggest we shouldn’t be so quick to label the birth mother as people told me the same with the the attacker at the hospital I’m accused of point scoring [emoji1745]

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Where was the father? Easy blame the young woman, who clearly ill.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I have now just read the actual report in the Argus and it is very upsetting that this can happen in "our world". I have an 8 month old child, and the thought of her being left for even a minute frightens me. 6 days? Horrific. The mother clearly needed help, was under social services and yet this happens. It is just wrong. a lot of responsibility has to fall on social services for the death of that poor child.

Yup.

From the report:

They lived at a mother and baby unit and Asiah was under a child protection plan - but there was no social worker assigned when she died.

Hmmm.....

Shouldn't a social worker be assigned if the kid's under a child protection order though???

I can't say that I understand the complexities of the many agencies involvd with child protection these days, but it seems that BHCC are stating that the poor child "was not on a child protection plan". Whether there were any grounds for believing that she should have been, or there were other layers of State protection that should have been in place (but weren't) will probably be revealed as part of the enquiry, or enquiries, to follow.

Source - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/26/teenager-admits-causing-death-of-20-month-old-baby-who-died-of-neglect

RIP little'un, you did not deserve this

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I only say that because we all seem to have an irrefutable belief in the mother-baby bond and when something like this happens we all think " How could she " ? . I agree with you, there have been many tragic cases which have led to the death of the mother, the child or both and its always incredibly sad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You normally seem ok on here so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but is that a "topical joke" about the death of a toddler?

I'd be inclined to lock this thread, mate. Child won't be coming back, but stupidity, agendas and, yes, distress certainly will....:nono:

Calling [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION].....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You'd think so but it does refer to it as a plan and not an order so I assume there is a difference. The baby was 20 months so it may well be that the plan was apparently working. Social workers might have got down to weekly visits which means she could still plan to be away for the 6 days! It might also be that she had had a social worker and they had moved on and another had not yet been allocated or due to workloads they couldn't give the close support needed!

Hopefully the investigation will answer those questions.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Terrible story. I am not going to read the details either.

All I will say is that I hope lessons ara learned and we can avoid tragedies like this happening in the future.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Not the first time it happens, won't be the last. Actually there was a bit more (not a lot more) understanding of this sort of thing for newish mothers even way back when. Infanticide was, I believe, treated differently from murder even a couple of centuries ago. (Of course, the mother would almost certainly have been locked up in a lunatic asylum with all that meant, so not really all that understanding.)

There was a case in my area a good few years back. A couple - not just a depressed mother, but two people, and not drug addicts at that - when out on a drunken bender for 36 hours, leaving three children at home, aged 4, 3 and 2. When they were found (by the authorities, after calls from neighbours) the 4 year old was doing her best to feed the other two with dry cereal, which was all the food she could reach. Honestly, it makes me cry - literally - even now to think about it. And what makes it worse, it's learned behaviour - the 4 year old who had every reason to give up and not worry about the others, was doing all she could to look after them. Mother and father had learned not to care less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here