Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton/London Trains Buggered This Morning

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The 7.32 Brighton to London Bridge seemed to be the only train to London running this morning, which it did with a lengthy delay but still.

At least Southern/Gatwick Express had the good grace to apologise for not providing any heating on it, something with FCC never do; in fact they never provide heating at all. But then the weather's so warm at the moment anyway that heating could be seen as a bit of a luxury item in return for only paying a bargain 110 quid a week.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That will be one of them there trains that have no toilets on them. I bet some of the passengers will have been replicating the anfield kop c1978

Correct.

Blokes could do their thing out of the guard's door (I wonder if this is where the phrase 'piece of piss' comes from?)

The women had to improvise a bit - using the empty rubbish bins, the contents of which were then slung out of the door.

Most undignified.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Can I just say I was stuck on a broken down train between Lewes and Falmer for six hours on Friday evening? The live rail had iced up, causing the engines to overheat and a small fire to ensue.

It didn't help that, despite being told the exact location of where we were (100 yards east of the Newmarket Inn), the engineers coming in from Lovers' Walk took 90 minutes to inform us that they couldn't find the train. They'd parked at Falmer, and walked the rest (2 miles).

Jumped on the train at 1744, got in a midnight.

I know it's not adding much to this morning's information, but I thought I'd share that with you. :)

I had a REALLY narrow escape...must have been only one or two trains ahead of you. One of the no-toilet trains too... I've never experienced anything like it, as the train sparked and ground its way along the line from Lewes to Brighton. It kept stopping, then starting with huge sparks flying everywhere. At one point there was a huge bang, and it ground to a halt, but then slowly got going again. I'm surprised they sent any more trains down there afterwards, sounds like it wasn't the right decision to, either.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pictures ?

Following women down three carriages to have a wee (do women 'have a slash?') is a little disturbing, n'est-ce pas?.

There were only 16 of us on the whole train, so we were camped in on carriage. There was a woman not dissimilar in appearance to Konnie Huq in a certain amount of distress by 10pm needing the loo. The smile of relief on her face when she returned was divine, though.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Following women down three carriages to have a wee (do women 'have a slash?') is a little disturbing, n'est-ce pas?.

There were only 16 of us on the whole train, so we were camped in on carriage. There was a woman not dissimilar in appearance to Konnie Huq in a certain amount of distress by 10pm needing the loo. The smile of relief on her face when she returned was divine, though.
I've now got a semi on.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Got the bus from brighton station to three bridges and got a train from there. Not to bad a journey to be fair.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Can I just say I was stuck on a broken down train between Lewes and Falmer for six hours on Friday evening? The live rail had iced up, causing the engines to overheat and a small fire to ensue.

It didn't help that, despite being told the exact location of where we were (100 yards east of the Newmarket Inn), the engineers coming in from Lovers' Walk took 90 minutes to inform us that they couldn't find the train. They'd parked at Falmer, and walked the rest (2 miles).

Jumped on the train at 1744, got in a midnight.

I know it's not adding much to this morning's information, but I thought I'd share that with you. :)

Feel sorry for you, hope Southern are providing a fair bit of compensation along with a refund. Feel sorry for the Guard and Driver too - cant have been easy for them either !!

That's a nightmare, I've never been in the situation, but did you not consider just getting off using emergency door opening thingumbob?

And where do you plan on going ? Wandering around an iced up railway line with possible trains still running on live rails is hardly a good idea.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Sorry to hijack this thread but it seems to full of train-commuter types! If I get a 8am-ish Brighton to London Bridge train, is it likely to be RAMMED?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Don't think Southern/FCC can be blamed today. The complete fucknugget at Network Rail who took the decision to carry out the engineering work as planned on the weekend with the most inclement weather for at least 2 years, however, should be pilloried.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Got the bus from brighton station to three bridges and got a train from there. Not to bad a journey to be fair.

Last time that happened with the Preston Park fire the bus driver stoped at Haywards Heath and went completely the wrong way to Three Bridges before someone pointed it out....

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Exactly , its like blaming Brighton Buses for the council not gritting the roads

Although you would have thought that given the first trains leave around 5am that by 5.45am southern may have updated their website

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Luckily I don't have to get on trains very often - but reading these countless threads, I'm amazed that there haven't been any organised protests trying to raise awareness and put a rocket up the arses of those in charge... or did I miss one?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats utterly bonkers. i recall getting stuck due to no power near Berwick last year and they were out and had us moving within a hour. i think after two hours i'd be off the train and walking knowing where i am (buses only 10-15 minutes in either direction i reckon). couldnt they have sent somthing to shunt, or do they not have such capabilities any more (@Ernest)??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here