Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton Locomotive Works

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sorry for the massively geeky and off topic post, but saw the below at the National Railway Museum in York yesterday and have always been amazed how what was once one of, if not the biggest industries in the city is now almost unknown. Does anyone have any family history with the place or stories to tell? I realise it all closed down quite some time ago. It just seems amazing to think of something like this being built in Brighton.

Attachments

• 20221218_141533.jpg
    20221218_141533.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20221218_141522.jpg
    20221218_141522.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 51

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When I started to study architecture at Uni. I needed a drawing board (obvs.) My Dad acquired one that had been in the drawing office in the works - a huge thing with a magnificent heavy wrought iron stand - and somehow he brought it all the way from Brighton to Liverpool - on the train!
I sold it when I changed to a different course - but I often wonder just what might have been designed on it in the office at Brighton works.

Last edited:

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
There's a good chapter on it in "A History of Sussex" by Philip Payton - a book I would highly recommend. It covers everything railway in Sussex.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Wow, what a magnificent beast.
I wonder if it was made to be a bit special, for Queen Victoria or something, or a bog standard loco that got a bit of a tarting up?

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
The Brighton Festival has in the past offered very interesting tours around Brighton Station and along the old railway line behind London Rd . You'll be amazed at the rich history of railway engineering in Brighton in the 19th century.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Brighton was a proper railway town, what with the locomotive works, the carriage works in Lancing where my grandfather worked (my Mum had a couple of B.R. Lancing stamped knives for many years until the dishwasher eroded them), and the Pullman carriage works too. You wouldn't know it now.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011

durrington lad

Jan 15, 2019

The Brighton Connection​

The UK production of the BMW Isetta 300 was based in Brighton from 1957 to the early 1960s, in a small car factory on the site of the old Brighton Locomotive Works, with the site being repurposed immediately that the Loco Works was closed, in the spring of 1957. All parts were brought in by rail, and the finished cars were sent out of the factory on the back of flatbed railway trucks. Although the stability of the original three-wheeler design had been somewhat improved by replacing the single back wheel with a close-set pair of wheels, the manufacturing for the British market ended up focusing on the three-wheeler version, as this could be driven in the UK without a full car licence.

The factory is supposed to have continued making Isetta cars until around ~1961, when production moved to Victoria Road, Portslade (where production of the engines continued until 1964). The Brighton Works factory is commemorated by a plaque and the naming of part of the subsequently redeveloped land as Isetta Square. The site was demolished in 1969 to make way for a car park.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wonder if it was made to be a bit special, for Queen Victoria or something, or a bog standard loco that got a bit of a tarting up?
Bit weird innit.

It looks like a fairly ordinary passenger locomotive but with a weird colour and some decorations that indicates otherwise. If it was supposed to carry passengers, it should be green (all steam locomotives until the late 1890s were coloured and British passenger locomotives were green) and the decor would obviously be impossible because someone would rob the train. Still, it looks a little bit too mundane (colour and pimpings aside) to be specifically made for some royalty.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Bit weird innit.

It looks like a fairly ordinary passenger locomotive but with a weird colour and some decorations that indicates otherwise. If it was supposed to carry passengers, it should be green (all steam locomotives until the late 1890s were coloured and British passenger locomotives were green) and the decor would obviously be impossible because someone would rob the train. Still, it looks a little bit too mundane (colour and pimpings aside) to be specifically made for some royalty.

The sign round the other side (sorry, should have taken a picture) stated that the royals had their own carriages (you can just see the one that this was attached to), but that the railway companies decided which locomotives to use as and when required - not sure if that helps. I did think the colours were odd but wondered if they were just from a different time?

Edit: https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/214-gladstone-lbscr-214-lbscr-618-sr-b618/

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

The Brighton Connection​

The UK production of the BMW Isetta 300 was based in Brighton from 1957 to the early 1960s, in a small car factory on the site of the old Brighton Locomotive Works, with the site being repurposed immediately that the Loco Works was closed, in the spring of 1957. All parts were brought in by rail, and the finished cars were sent out of the factory on the back of flatbed railway trucks. Although the stability of the original three-wheeler design had been somewhat improved by replacing the single back wheel with a close-set pair of wheels, the manufacturing for the British market ended up focusing on the three-wheeler version, as this could be driven in the UK without a full car licence.

The factory is supposed to have continued making Isetta cars until around ~1961, when production moved to Victoria Road, Portslade (where production of the engines continued until 1964). The Brighton Works factory is commemorated by a plaque and the naming of part of the subsequently redeveloped land as Isetta Square. The site was demolished in 1969 to make way for a car park.

Keeping a Brighton connection, the Mother of actor Errol Flynn lost her life on Falmer Road after being run over by an Isetta Bubble Car in 1966.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The sign round the other side (sorry, should have taken a picture) stated that the royals had their own carriages (you can just see the one that this was attached to), but that the railway companies decided which locomotives to use as and when required - not sure if that helps. I did think the colours were odd but wondered if they were just from a different time?

Edit: https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/214-gladstone-lbscr-214-lbscr-618-sr-b618/
The colours are the LB&SC livery, apparently from 1870 to 1905 they used a "golden ochre" which was (rather confusingly) called "Improved Engine Green" before switching to a "dark shade of umber" from 1905 to 1923.

As ever with the railways, no matter how apparently tedious or pointless the question, some lovable enthusiast has built an entire website answering it in overwhelming detail.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Think some members of my dad's family worked there around the turn of the century.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sorry for the massively geeky and off topic post, but saw the below at the National Railway Museum in York yesterday and have always been amazed how what was once one of, if not the biggest industries in the city is now almost unknown. Does anyone have any family history with the place or stories to tell? I realise it all closed down quite some time ago. It just seems amazing to think of something like this being built in Brighton.
I can't be the only one who thought the engine was called Goldstone..

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The A1X class (built in Brighton) were ultimately some of the longest lasting steam locomotives on BR when withdrawn in the 1960s, approaching a century even then. Here’s three of them sharing Sheffield Park she’d earlier this summer.

E3223813-CE04-44ED-A651-3B3DFDE524AE.jpeg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You can see several Brighton made locomotives at the Bluebell Railway.
Including (AFAIK) one small Stroudly 0-6-0 'Terrier' tank engine in that same livery. Until the late 50s the Brighton works shunter - a similar small tank engine (possibly the same one?) was kept in immaculate condition in that same livery. A vision of exquisite beauty! Every visit to Brighton in those days included hanging out of the window as the train came in from the east, hoping for a glimpse of it!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Including (AFAIK) one small Stroudly 0-6-0 'Terrier' tank engine in that same livery. Until the late 50s the Brighton works shunter - a similar small tank engine (possibly the same one?) was kept in immaculate condition in that same livery. A vision of exquisite beauty! Every visit to Brighton in those days included hanging out of the window as the train came in from the east, hoping for a glimpse of it!
Unfortunately the Brighton Works shunter met with the cutters torch, however there are two at the Bluebell (one of which has just been restored and returns to traffic imminently).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here