Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton Locomotive Works

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I remember in the early & late 50's going to the engine sheds with my older brother. The engine turntable was at the side of New England Hill and if you spoke nicely/pleaded with a driver you could occasionally hitch a lift on an engine back to the station.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unfortunately the Brighton Works shunter met with the cutters torch, however there are two at the Bluebell (one of which has just been restored and returns to traffic imminently).
Fortunately there's several of the little wonders alive and well in preservation - have had some enjoyable rides behind them, on the Isle of Wight and the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway for example, as well as the Bluebell.

Reactions: A1X

For the unashamed anoraks on this board the list of surviving L.B.S.C.R. locos is as follows.
  1. E4 Birch Grove at the Bluebell Railway.
  2. A1X "Terriers" - Two at the Bluebell Railway, Two on the Kent and East Sussex Railway, two on the Isle of Wight railway ,one at the Spa Valley Railway, one at Bressingham Steam Museum, one at the National Railway Museum at York and one at the Canadian Railway Museum. All except the last two are either working or under overhaul - not bad for machinery 150+ old although I wouldn't like to hazard a guess how many original pieces there are within!
  3. E1 Class (like a Terrier that has worked out and got bigger!) on the Isle of Wight Railway being restored to running order.
  4. Gladstone - the loco in the picture at the start of the thread.
  5. Brighton Atlantic "Beachy Head" - full size working replica loco being built at Sheffield Park. Believe it is nearly ready to run.
  6. .....And if I win the lottery I will fund the building of a working replica D1.
Perhaps someone could compile a list of the Brighton built BR Standard locos?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
For the unashamed anoraks on this board the list of surviving L.B.S.C.R. locos is as follows.
  2. A1X "Terriers" - Two at the Bluebell Railway, Two on the Kent and East Sussex Railway, two on the Isle of Wight railway ,one at the Spa Valley Railway, one at Bressingham Steam Museum, one at the National Railway Museum at York and one at the Canadian Railway Museum. All except the last two are either working or under overhaul - not bad for machinery 150+ old although I wouldn't like to hazard a guess how many original pieces there are within!
  3. E1 Class (like a Terrier that has worked out and got bigger!) on the Isle of Wight Railway being restored to running order.
  5. Brighton Atlantic "Beachy Head" - full size working replica loco being built at Sheffield Park. Believe it is nearly ready to run.
  6. .....And if I win the lottery I will fund the building of a working replica D1.
Are there no surviving Brighton built SR locomotives?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Slight point of order, but Stepney at the Bluebell is very much stuffed and mounted at time of writing

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are there no surviving Brighton built SR locomotives?
80079 on the Severn Valley Railway - currently a static exhibition in their Engine House at Highley. Standard class 4 2-6-4 tank, built at Brighton in 1954.

Several Brighton built West Country and Battle of Britain classes (both rebuilt and unrebuil) are alive and well (or in the process of being brought back to life) on preservation railways. A couple of them (Braunton, rebuilt and Tangmere, unrebuilt) are not only running, but are also main-line certificated.

Edit: Sorry - read your post as BR, not SR - I think some of the Bulleid pacifics would have been SR built though, pre nationalisation in 1948.

Last edited:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
80079 on the Severn Valley Railway - currently a static exhibition in their Engine House at Highley. Standard class 4 2-6-4 tank, built at Brighton in 1954.

Several Brighton built West Country and Battle of Britain classes (both rebuilt and unrebuil) are alive and well (or in the process of being brought back to life) on preservation railways. A couple of them (Braunton, rebuilt and Tangmere, unrebuilt) are not only running, but are also main-line certificated.

Edit: Sorry - read your post as BR, not SR - I think some of the Bulleid pacifics would have been SR built though, pre nationalisation in 1948.
Certainly vouch for Braunton and Tangmere, they're regulars pulling tours over the Settle-Carlise line up here, and I often nip up to Hellifield station near me, where they transfer from diesel pulled to the steam one. Wonderful to see.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I considered pointing out that you'd misread it, but decided that I'm not that much of an arse. :lolol:
In any case, a decent number of those pacifics (including Braunton and Tangmere) were built for the SR.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Plus, of course, 2 of the surviving Maunsell U Class, 1 of his N Class and Bulleid's Q Class C1 were all built in Brighton.
Shame 33001 is now embalmed at York - it would be wonderful to see one of these beasts running again.

Unlikely, I guess, sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here