Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Ladies

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I am aware they exist, I also think replacing womens 11-a-side football with 7-a-side is absolutely ridiculous. I understand the argument to reduce goal/pitch size but why does womens football need only 7 players?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I am aware they exist, I also think replacing womens 11-a-side football with 7-a-side is absolutely ridiculous. I understand the argument to reduce goal/pitch size but why does womens football need only 7 players?

It's only a bloody idea, it would be congested if you had 11 players on each team on a small pitch, smaller teams and smaller pitches focus on skill and passing rather than what womens football seems to be at the moment, slow boring hoofball.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
It's only a bloody idea, it would be congested if you had 11 players on each team on a small pitch, smaller teams and smaller pitches focus on skill and passing rather than what womens football seems to be at the moment, slow boring hoofball.

Womens football is years behind mens football and I remember watching slow boring hoofball with Brighton mens..

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To anyone interested ,last weekend the u13,s won there regional qualifiers and are through to the national final for cat2 academies and yesterday beat crystal palace

Now this is indeed interesting news. I believe there are reporting restrictions on youth football, but personally I am more interested in this piece of news than anything about the women's team, which I think is sort of what the opening poster is saying.

Have the club reported this U13 success? Not that I've heard. Do I know our ladies lost to Coventry at the Ricoh yesterday in front of a hundred or so people, yes because it was all over their twitter feed and their website.

In terms of my level of interest the way these two events are reported is entirely disproportionate.

Their results thus far are better than the men's team I believe as they have won more games.

One of the team was helping with the coaching of Youngest Potting's team on Saturday. Youngest Potting in awe of being coached by an actual Brighton player and intends getting her shirt autographed by her next week, and we will try and get to a game. Anyone been and what size crowd do they attract?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
What is this "Ladies" team that half the posters in this thread (and the thread title) seem to be on about?
The club refers to it as the women's team and it plays in a women's league and women's cup competitions.
Using archaic language that sounds as if we're still in the Edwardian era is part of the persistent demeaning of the women's sport that goes on, and which the club, to be fair, tries to avoid perpetuating.
I've not seen the BHAFC men's team referred to as the "gentlemen's team"

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Their results thus far are better than the men's team I believe as they have won more games.

One of the team was helping with the coaching of Youngest Potting's team on Saturday. Youngest Potting in awe of being coached by an actual Brighton player and intends getting her shirt autographed by her next week, and we will try and get to a game. Anyone been and what size crowd do they attract?

The featured player in the Cardiff programme, Kim Stenning, coached my daughter for a bit.

I've been to a couple of games: the ones I went to only attracted about 120/150 people but they were good entertainment. I can't go now as my kids play rugby on Sunday mornings and we wouldn't able to get to the games in time but I'd definitely go again if the times were right

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Is it down to the quality of sport...How good would say an England Ladies football team be ? Would they beat a decent school team ?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
What is this "Ladies" team that half the posters in this thread (and the thread title) seem to be on about?
The club refers to it as the women's team and it plays in a women's league and women's cup competitions.
Using archaic language that sounds as if we're still in the Edwardian era is part of the persistent demeaning of the women's sport that goes on, and which the club, to be fair, tries to avoid perpetuating.
I've not seen the BHAFC men's team referred to as the "gentlemen's team"

I can't tell if you are taking the piss or not but there are plenty of Ladies/Womens teams out there that go by <club> Ladies.

Chelsea Ladies
Arsenal Ladies
Sunderland Ladies
Notts County Ladies
Birmingham City Ladies
Liverpool Ladies

Those are just to name the teams in the WSL 1.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I can't tell if you are taking the piss or not but there are plenty of Ladies/Womens teams out there that go by <club> Ladies.
Sunderland Ladies
Birmingham City Ladies
Liverpool Ladies.
Perfect for any lover of a well-turned oxymoron.

At least Millwall's crew sensibly eschewed 'Ladies' by opting instead for 'Lionesses'.

And does Manchester perchance field a team of, er, Man U Ladies?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Chelsea Ladies
Arsenal Ladies
Sunderland Ladies
Notts County Ladies
Birmingham City Ladies
Liverpool Ladies

Those are just to name the teams in the WSL 1.

Yup I'm aware of that, but Brighton and Hove Albion, the club which is the subject of this thread has (thankfully) moved on from using this outdated, value-laden and inconsistent terminology.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Yup I'm aware of that, but Brighton and Hove Albion, the club which is the subject of this thread has (thankfully) moved on from using this outdated, value-laden and inconsistent terminology.

They are called Brighton Ladies. Most teams are called Ladies rather than Women. Out of about 40 teams there are about 6 called women teams.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
They are called Brighton Ladies. Most teams are called Ladies rather than Women. Out of about 40 teams there are about 6 called women teams.

That's not the impression that I got from the team's website and all recent references to the team in press releases and tweets, but maybe I'm missing something.
Look at all the references on this page for example
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/team/women-and-girls/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here