Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Ladies

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I think it's a bit of an own goal by the club. I understand their motives but people need to be able to choose what communications they get from the club otherwise people will get tired of it and switch it off.

I hit 'unsubscribe' on a marketing email from the club about the womens football, and now I get NOTHING. No pre-match updates, no first team news, no ticket information.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You can make of this what you will, but the Albion Roar featuring the manager and captain of the Women's team is the seventh most popular download this season.

Only the Adam Virgo shows, David Burke, Kieran Maguire/Matt Potter, and Gary Chivers shows have been accessed more.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't have strong opinions and I was seeking others views.

As a subscriber to Albions Facebook and Twitter feeds, then I do get a large amount of women related messages. I'm no interested so I do just skip over them. Everytime I see a new bit of Albion news, I am eager to read it right away, and recently, more has been of the ladies.

I absolutely don't think women should be chained to the kitchen sink, nor does my wife who comes to many games with me.

I am also referring to the news, rather than the site as a whole.

Was always going to be a tricky topic on which to raise my point without rustling a few PC feathers!

Can I just pick you up on a point here. You say you don't have strong opinions, but you started the thread by saying "Is anyone else totally un-interested..."

To be totally un-interested is a fairly strong opinion and I think that is what people have latched onto. It's not about being PC at all. There's nothing PC in letting people of any age or gender get involved in a game as part of their local club.

I only have a passing interested in that team, but then I only have a passing interest in the DS team to be honest. However, I feel that whether it's the ladies team, the U19s, the DS; whether it's U15s, hell whether it's gully's girls, if people are getting together in the community to form football teams or groups associated with football, then that can't be a bad thing.

Pushing news of this fact can surely only be a good thing?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Why? There must be more interest in men's sides below the first team at ages between (approximately) 16 and 21, because these are the players who could potentially be in our first team soon. While I don't follow our reserve/development/youth sides fanatically, I do keep up to date with who is in them and who is playing well as I might be paying £30 to watch them play in the next year or two. I can't see how the women's team holds more interest for the majority of people than any side in this age range, so you have to go even younger to find a side of similar importance, hence my example.

I think what you are reflecting is my current level of interest too. I'm essentially only interested in the first team. If I hear news about the DS team then my interest picks up, but not enough to attend a match. But, just because I'm not presently interested, doesn't mean that this stuff should be fed to me. I like it when I hear positive news about what the Albion is doing. It's good. Who's to say my interests won't broaden as a result?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Apart from the first team, what leagues are all our other teams in. We have ladies,DS, youth team. (Is that under 18). How does it all work? How are we doing?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's not about political correctness for me. It's two fold

1) I think it's selfish to expect entities with wide audiences to cater to the interests of just one person. I don't have an interest in every thread on here. I don't have an interest in every news item on the bbc website. I don't care about every story on sky sports news, and I don't have an interest in everything the club covers in its news section. That's the way it should be. More people would stop coming to these sites if it was just my interests than are put off coming to them because there's too much variety.

2) The club is meant to be about Brighton and Hove Albion football. All levels. Men, boys, women, girls. We want to bring in as many fans as we can to spend money on the club. That means catering to as wide a group as possible. That means promoting the kids so that boys and girls see it and maybe try out, maybe go to support a friend and become albion fans through that, growing up to spend money with us. That means promoting the women's team to make more women aware of the women's game, and the Albion's part in that so as to build greater interest from women other than just other halves who get dragged along (no, I know that isn't every woman at the Amex and that there are plenty of women who just like football regardless of the men in their lives, I'm talking about building on that), with women and kids, that also promotes the family values of the club.

Yeah, there are some guys who are uncomfortable seeing the news of kids and the women's team, but how many of them are likely to stop coming to the amex because of it? Whereas a retweet and a forwarded link to a niece or nephew, a son, daughter or wife, a friend for their kids to see can help build our fan base and attendances.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Apart from the first team, what leagues are all our other teams in. We have ladies,DS, youth team. (Is that under 18). How does it all work? How are we doing?

http://data.7m.cn/matches_data/1212/en/index.shtml

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fixtures-results/under21s/

http://fulltime.thefa.com/ProcessPu...SelectedCompetition=0&psSelectedLeague=872938

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fixtures-results/women/

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fixtures-results/youth/

All information from the Brighton and Hove Albion website

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fixtures-results/

Next Amex game against QPR U21 a week today and free entry if you are a STH

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
To anyone interested ,last weekend the u13,s won there regional qualifiers and are through to the national final for cat2 academies and yesterday beat crystal palace

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A more puzzling question is how were the Coventry ladies allowed to play at the Ricoh?

My local French club Le Mans went bust this season and dropped down six divisions, the ground was handed back to the local municipal due to debts owed, however both the women's national and local teams carry on playing there. I like the Rioch as a stadium and thought it was good our women got an FA cup tie there. Although watching it yesterday it is an example of how mad footballs gone, that the mens first team play in Northampton.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My local French club Le Mans went bust this season and dropped down six divisions, the ground was handed back to the local municipal due to debts owed, however both the women's national and local teams carry on playing there. I like the Rioch as a stadium and thought it was good our women got an FA cup tie there. Although watching it yesterday it is an example of how mad footballs gone, that the mens first team play in Northampton.

I didn't like the Ricoh but did like Highfield Road.

In summary ...

Albion play in the FA Women's Premier League, Southern Division.

POS Team P W D L GD PTS

1 Cardiff City LFC 12 8 3 1 26 27
2 Portsmouth FC Ladies 13 9 0 4 12 27
3 Gillingham LFC 12 8 2 2 24 26
4 Coventry City LFC 12 7 3 2 10 24
5 Charlton Athletic WFC 13 7 3 3 9 24
6 Tottenham Hotspur LFC 14 4 4 6 -6 16
7 Lewes LFC 13 4 3 6 -11 15
8 Brighton & Hove Albion WFC 12 4 2 6 5 14
9 Keynsham Town LFC 14 4 1 9 -10 13
10 West Ham United LFC 13 3 3 7 -8 12
11 Chesham United LFC 16 2 0 14 -51 6

And note the success of Lewes, playing in the same division!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To anyone interested ,last weekend the u13,s won there regional qualifiers and are through to the national final for cat2 academies and yesterday beat crystal palace

Don't LIE.

Palace have the greatest academy in the world. No way did they lose to our kids.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I like that the club are trying to encourage us to all watch more. But in my opinion, ladies football would be much more exciting if everything was a little smaller.

It's all too big. The ball, the pitch, the goals. Everything makes them look slower and worse than they really are, because we can compare them directly to the men. It's like seeing young lads play - the match looks like it's in slow motion sometimes.

I agree, womens football would be improved ten-fold if it was made smaller, 7-a-side, small pitches, small goals, shorter games. There is a reason women's tennis is best of 3.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I agree, womens football would be improved ten-fold if it was made smaller, 7-a-side, small pitches, small goals, shorter games. There is a reason women's tennis is best of 3.

But where would you find smaller pitches and smaller grounds?

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Because the people in charge don't like change. Just spent all weekend at the velodrome where mens and womens cycling has an equal footing. Until last year the BG women sprinters only got one shot at Gold compared to mens three, due to a dinosar IOC committee. Hence why Hoy amassed so many, yet Pendelton not.

The women have to race in competition over shorter distances and in the Kieran are only allowed to be paced t0 45 KPH not 50 KPH like the men. Its a joke, our women train with the men over the same distances, how will the sport ever get up to speed if you restrict it..

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
To anyone interested...the u13,s...yesterday beat crystal palace

For an Albion fan, that's always both interesting and worth celebrating on any level.

To any of them reading this, well done lads! :clap2::bhasign:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here