Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton & Hove pavements make today’s Times

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
It all changes, as it must. Yes the white vans.... I noticed also the loft extensions that have disfigured the aspects, but to be fair the houses are for the owners to live in, not for me to walk past and admire as icon semis of the 50s and 60s.

Eric would have rushed out and asked 'would you mind awfully moving your vehicle', had he seen it :lolol: I remember he had a foreign car (white Peugot; the old man warned me against buying a foreign car as 'you can't get the parts :lolol:) with a 'Don't follow me, follow The Albion' sticker in his rear window. :bowdown:

This may interest you. There is a lot of contribution from Janice Langridge who married Ray Hamblett (both in my class at St Nick's infants, in the 60s:eek:):

http://portsladehistory.blogspot.com/search/label/Manor House of Portslade.

Not a hint of white dogshit anywhere ??? :wink:

Hope all's well with you. Regards to you mum - mine's long gone as you may well know (your mum came to the funral) and I had assumed we are all orphans now :down:

:thumbsup:

Just browsing that site now, some interesting memories.
I have some Portslade history books upstairs, all written by Judy Middleton. I went to school with Hugh Middleton we used to attend games in the NorthStand in the 70's before I joined the RAF in 79, Hugh turned into a weird long haired whiffy hippy, I wonder what happened to him?

Peter Williams ( Jonnys's ) dad lives in Kent somewhere still hear from him and his sisters at Christmas. Jonny has just signed for Swindon so might catch up as he tends to watch his son whenever possible.

Mums 90 this year and still fit and healthy and living in her own bungalow...I will give her your regards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The town I grew up in and love has now become a third world shit hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moulsecoomb has always been a shit hole.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
[emoji106]

We’ve Swedish friends. They say it’s just custom to take care of the pavement outside your home and if you have elderly neighbours, you do the same to their patch.
Additionally, in times past, house owners would clear the pavement in front of their house if we had snow and ice in winter. And yes, everyone knew who was old or infirm and their stretch of pavement would be done for them by a neighbour.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
My ex got a flat in one of those new developments and then joined a resident's committee who moaned to the developers that the planters in their communal gardens weren't maintained. The developers pointed out it was **** all to do with them but suggested that maybe, just maybe they would consider looking after them themselves. I sided with the developers, which was unusual but justified. The melt down was hilarious.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I could get involved in this but I can be arsed.

That’s a shame. :down:

My ex got a flat in one of those new developments and then joined a resident's committee who moaned to the developers that the planters in their communal gardens weren't maintained. The developers pointed out it was **** all to do with them but suggested that maybe, just maybe they would consider looking after them themselves. I sided with the developers, which was unusual but justified. The melt down was hilarious.

Thanks for putting in the effort after all :moo: :)

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Additionally, in times past, house owners would clear the pavement in front of their house if we had snow and ice in winter. And yes, everyone knew who was old or infirm and their stretch of pavement would be done for them by a neighbour.

Even in corrupt and unlikeable Russia, Subbotnik day is a thing where people take pride in cleaning up their own community.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just browsing that site now, some interesting memories.
I have some Portslade history books upstairs, all written by Judy Middleton. I went to school with Hugh Middleton we used to attend games in the NorthStand in the 70's before I joined the RAF in 79, Hugh turned into a weird long haired whiffy hippy, I wonder what happened to him?

Peter Williams ( Jonnys's ) dad lives in Kent somewhere still hear from him and his sisters at Christmas. Jonny has just signed for Swindon so might catch up as he tends to watch his son whenever possible.

Mums 90 this year and still fit and healthy and living in her own bungalow...I will give her your regards.

Brilliant! :thumbsup:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The phasing out of the use of pesticides has brought out the jungle to our streets.

Ragwort on the rampage. Thistles putting pensioners in hospital. Residents tripping up by stray sycamores & stung by nettles.

Is the answer just to pick up a trowel - or for the council to take some pride in our city?

Either way - we have made The Times today.View attachment 139675
No sympathy ... if the wokearratti set in Brighton keep voting in the Green loons (just to be different) then it shouldn't come as a surprise that the weeds are running amok, reclaiming pathways and the streets.

Time for a flypast of the Red Arrows dropping Agent Orange?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No sympathy ... if the wokearratti set in Brighton keep voting in the Green loons (just to be different) then it shouldn't come as a surprise that the weeds are running amok, reclaiming pathways and the streets.

Point of fact; discontinuing the use of glyphosate was a proposal made by the Labour party and supported across all parties.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

How old are you? Back in the day, this would be a sign of childishness, but somehow I suspect it's not the case in terms of your biological state.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's odd that a lot of people who have shown very care about old people dying in the last 18 months if it affects them going to the football or pub now seem to care about them tripping over weeds

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i live in central hove and drive around hove quite a bit. Some streets look like some dystopian version of the future where humans no longer exist and nature has taken back control of the city. I spoke to the leader of the council recently about it and, to be fair, he was well aware of the issue. The issue being that that the committee that deals with such issues banned use of herbicides without having any alternative. Vast swathes of Hove look ****ing awful as a consequence. No doubt other parts of the City aswell.

What is he doing about it - clearly **** all. Although now its in the national press, some action may follow.

poor planning, poor management and a general indictment of the quality of people we elect and employ to manage our City.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Problem is if you don't have a garden you probably won't own any gardening equipment so can't sort it out for yourself,

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
i live in central hove and drive around hove quite a bit. Some streets look like some dystopian version of the future where humans no longer exist and nature has taken back control of the city. I spoke to the leader of the council recently about it and, to be fair, he was well aware of the issue. The issue being that that the committee that deals with such issues banned use of herbicides without having any alternative. Vast swathes of Hove look ****ing awful as a consequence. No doubt other parts of the City aswell.

What is he doing about it - clearly **** all. Although now its in the national press, some action may follow.

poor planning, poor management and a general indictment of the quality of people we elect and employ to manage our City.

I also live in Central Hove, I walk around a lot and I have to say that your assessment is b*llocks :thumbsup:

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Living in Hove as I do I can honestly say that the pavements generally look a mess, that's not just with weeds but with cars randomly parked on the pavements.

Then you've got all the building work going on whereby the streets and front gardens are filled with building materials, large cracks also appear on slab-paved pathways due to the big delivery vehicles crunching the slabs into crazing paving.

I do wonder how the elderly are meant to walk along on these pavements safely, those with pushchairs must be also muttering under their breath quite a bit let alone anyone else.

So that's progressive council policies for you, but also many people generally thinking of themselves and not others

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here