Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton & Hove Children walk out in Solidarity for Peace, or half a day skiving.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A thread on children marching for peace ( possibly) …..for the adults to stop fighting …maybe we could learn something
Indeed and I’m told at some point in the not too distant future Eddie Izzard will be leading a group of adults marching in the hope of stopping children carrying knives and in some cases killing each other.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
As a councillor in this city, reading some of these comments saddens me as to what this place has become. I am ashamed & embarrassed as to what these kids did yesterday. A day off from school to support a war in another country? Was there a day off for the others. Perhaps teachers should take a day off for the hostages and the families of those murdered. If you wish to do something positive pop over to Gaza kids & ask those nice terrorists from Gaza to stop firing missiles from schools or behind their citizens and see where it gets you.
Hopefully there will be fines for those that skipped school
f*** me councillor, I thought you’d decided to leave this message board, that has to be the shortest flounce ever and I see your flounce thread has been removed 😂😂😂

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Logically, it is very much needed in Hove, shirley a soft target for antisemites away from the well known London diaspora.
I’m inclined to agree - I often thought the same in ‘darker moments’ - Muslim schools and mosques also need protection - what a sad divisive world we have become and now children having to deal with this stuff too after literally being traumatised or having mental health problems relating to the enforced lockdown. Many kids are suffering from PTSD following the Covid pandemic (at least according to the PTSD clinic and my Long Covid Clinic nurse I spoke to yesterday ) so this War is coming on top of all that - watching or getting involved in something that is happening to others miles away can trigger MH problems and secondhand trauma even in adults including PTSD symptoms but for kids witnessing the horrors of war and natural disasters with constant exposure to it on the news and social media - it is even harder to process…there are so many existential fears in their lives - I grew up under the shadow of the post-Cuban missile crisis (and remember being told we should hide under our desks in the event of a nuclear attack 🙄) that triggered some pretty intense anxieties at times but it was nothing like the world is today for kids and young people.

This link has some good advice I think

and this

I haven’t been to a London synagogue in years but after doing a little surfing, some at least do indeed employ armed security so I wouldn’t be surprised if the synagogues in Brighton do - all adding to the climate of fear around racial and religious diversity which is maybe something we need to look perhaps - is there a certain amount of hysteria going on too? Is it being whipped up deliberately by political agendas? These are just questions to ask while of course taking all risk very seriously.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think that's extraordinarily harsh :(

I've not seen anything from @Zeberdi that justifies such a take.
Try his editing my post in quoting me to remove a rather essential line.

Also note how he first tries to suggest I’m creating and anti-Israel/Hamas thread and then claiming that by writing ‘anti’ he somehow meant antipathy.

The strange thing is that I do read his posts with interest. I think he just jumped in and had a crack without thinking.

And yes, it did piss me off.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It is sad that the likes of Braverman and Sunak have turned the demonstrations for peace into terrifying hate mobs. By playing with the truth for their own political ends they have created panic and fear for many in the Jewish community. Whilst all acts of racism and anti semitism are utterly deplorable, defining posters and slogans in support of the Palestinians as acts of anti semitism has helped massively inflate recorded hate crimes.
One if the more sensible posts on this thread and it is this context that we should be concerned how our kids our responding to events they see on the news IMO

Every since the events on 7/10 , the entrenched and biased views of people who are completely unaware of their own bias, appalling religious and racial stereotyping and mob-mentality, as well as a refusal to look at facts has dominated discussions around this issue - it has created an incredibly febrile atmosphere in the UK, both on the streets and on social media, one that is hyper-charged with racial tension.

Never mind there’s a need for peace in the ME, we don’t even have ‘peace’ in the UK. I hope the kids keep protesting but wishing them every safety and protection while doing so, not just from physical risk but emotional risk too 😕

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Try his editing my post in quoting me to remove a rather essential line.

Also note how he first tries to suggest I’m creating and anti-Israel/Hamas thread and then claiming that by writing ‘anti’ he somehow meant antipathy.

The strange thing is that I do read his posts with interest. I think he just jumped in and had a crack without thinking.

And yes, it did piss me off.
Fair enough. I didn't know all the details. It seemed odd for you, a man of massive sangfroid to get testy. I hope it was just a cock up rather than a conspiracy. Eh Zebs?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One if the more sensible posts on this thread and it is this context that we should be concerned how our kids our responding to events they see on the news IMO

Every since the events on 7/10 , the entrenched and biased views of people who are completely unaware of their own bias, appalling religious and racial stereotyping and mob-mentality, as well as a refusal to look at facts has dominated discussions around this issue - it has created an incredibly febrile atmosphere in the UK, both on the streets and on social media, one that is hyper-charged with racial tension.

Never mind there’s a need for peace in the ME, we don’t even have ‘peace’ in the UK. I hope the kids keep protesting but wishing them every safety and protection while doing so, not just from physical risk but emotional risk too 😕
Just glad I don't read newspapers or watch channel 5. (obviously I'd need to be criminally insane to watch GBNews). Just looking at the newspaper headlines in Sainsburys had me all triggered. I may have raised an eyebrow.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Fair enough. I didn't know all the details. It seemed odd for you, a man of massive sangfroid to get testy. I hope it was just a cock up rather than a conspiracy. Eh Zebs?
No conspiracy- I often only quote the parts of someone’s post that contains the points Im addressing - can’t be bothered with it to be honest and have chosen to ignore all subsequent comments that continue to accuse me of bulling people into submission on the Hamas thread - this is the second poster in as many days - just one more added to the list - why they don’t use the ignore thread/user button I don’t know - perhaps you could franchise out your list HT for general use 😎

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just glad I don't read newspapers or watch channel 5. (obviously I'd need to be criminally insane to watch GBNews). Just looking at the newspaper headlines in Sainsburys had me all triggered. I may have raised an eyebrow.
Yeah

Tbh I’ve had a shitty experience in the past few days looking for something and coming across a news story in the Argus I new nothing about - that a good mate I knew about ten years ago but lost touch with has been serving a 3 year prison sentence for child abuse - it’s gutted me and pulled the rug right out under me - I would probably have never known if I hadn’t been googling Argus stories - it’s made me feel quite sick inside 🙁

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No conspiracy- I often only quote the parts of someone’s post that contains the points Im addressing - can’t be bothered with it to be honest and have chosen to ignore all subsequent comments that continue to accuse me of bulling people into submission on the Hamas thread - this is the second poster in as many days - just one more added to the list - why they don’t use the ignore thread/user button I don’t know - perhaps you could franchise out your list HT for general use 😎
Well, @Hamilton is definitely not on my little list. I'm sticking to 'a misunderstanding'.

I had a big falling out with another poster recently and we managed to sort it out. Remember that the 'voice' is missing on a text forum. My own jokes sometimes miss the mark and I've had my collar felt by two of the moderators in the past. Ahem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah

Tbh I’ve had a shitty experience in the past few days looking for something and coming across a news story in the Argus I new nothing about - that a good mate I knew about ten years ago but lost touch with has been serving a 3 year prison sentence for child abuse - it’s gutted me and pulled the rug right out under me - U would probably have never known if I hadn’t been googling Argus stories 🙁
Christ. That's horrible. Stay off the politics for a week or so. I promise to invade neither Israel nor Gaza in your absence.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Christ. That's horrible. Stay off the politics for a week or so. I promise to invade neither Israel nor Gaza in your absence.
Nah I’m fine - it kind of hard not to look back though and try and remember if there was anything that you should have recognised in their behaviour - he did suddenly distance himself frim me and was very cold the last time I saw him so perhaps that’s why.

Back on topic - Perhaps because of my background it is easier for me to argue a strong position that neither supports the Religious Zionism of the Israeli Government nor Hamas, yet understands the motivation of both and it’s the humanitarian in me that forces me to speak out for the innocent people on both sides caught in the middle of two extreme ideologies - it is that same perspective now that makes me (like many other posters here) want to put the welfare of any child before myself, regardless of their race, religion or cultural difference. Children are children imo and shouldn’t be used as a channel for us adults to vicariously express our own views through but we should be enabling them to develop their own - I wish more parents were like some posters here but I think too many are not and that is where the problems seem to start. Not just parents but teachers too in non-secular Jewish and Muslim schools - again, children can become manipulated with inherent and extrinsic biases and used to push an adult agenda which for me is just wrong.

Where we are individually on the political spectrum does influence our interpretation of events that’s for sure - there’s those who think Israel is alone responsible for the perpetuating the conflict because of the Occupation (which I don’t) and those who think it is solely down to terrorism and Hamas (which I don’t) . There are those that think it anti-semitic to criticise the government of Israel (which I don’t) and there are those that think the call for Palestinians to be free means the destruction of Israel (which I don’t) etc etc I see the details of the past 55 years of stop and start peace processes and conflict and know it is much more complicated than that - so the only thing we can be really sure being on the ‘right side’ of morally imo, is in condemning the abject suffering and slaughter of so many thousands of innocent civilians who have no love at all for Hamas, and especially for the children that are dying and the death of the Israelis on 7/10 and rooting for those poor hostages being passed around different jihadist groups in Gaza for bartering currency. Personally - As far as the latter goes, I think our kids who care enough to protest against the injustices of the Occupation and feel sorrow for the death of innocents have got it exactly right, I just wish those grown ups in the corridors of power had such pure hearts.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As a councillor in this city, reading some of these comments saddens me as to what this place has become. I am ashamed & embarrassed as to what these kids did yesterday. A day off from school to support a war in another country? Was there a day off for the others. Perhaps teachers should take a day off for the hostages and the families of those murdered. If you wish to do something positive pop over to Gaza kids & ask those nice terrorists from Gaza to stop firing missiles from schools or behind their citizens and see where it gets you.
Hopefully there will be fines for those that skipped school
Typical lazy politician copy and paste…
IMG_2509.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah I’m fine - it kind of hard not to look back though and try and remember if there was anything that you should have recognised in their behaviour - he did suddenly distance himself frim me and was very cold the last time I saw him so perhaps that’s why.

Back on topic - Perhaps because of my background it is easier for me to argue a strong position that neither supports the Religious Zionism of the Israeli Government nor Hamas, yet understands the motivation of both and it’s the humanitarian in me that forces me to speak out for the innocent people on both sides caught in the middle of two extreme ideologies - it is that same perspective now that makes me (like many other posters here) want to put the welfare of any child before myself, regardless of their race, religion or cultural difference. Children are children imo and shouldn’t be used as a channel for us adults to vicariously express our own views through but we should be enabling them to develop their own - I wish more parents were like some posters here but I think too many are not and that is where the problems seem to start. Not just parents but teachers too in non-secular Jewish and Muslim schools - again, children can become manipulated with inherent and extrinsic biases and used to push an adult agenda which for me is just wrong.

Where we are individually on the political spectrum does influence our interpretation of events that’s for sure - there’s those who think Israel is alone responsible for the perpetuating the conflict because of the Occupation (which I don’t) and those who think it is solely down to terrorism and Hamas (which I don’t) . There are those that think it anti-semitic to criticise the government of Israel (which I don’t) and there are those that think the call for Palestinians to be free means the destruction of Israel (which I don’t) etc etc I see the details of the past 55 years of stop and start peace processes and conflict and know it is much more complicated than that - so the only thing we can be really sure being on the ‘right side’ of morally imo, is in condemning the abject suffering and slaughter of so many thousands of innocent civilians who have no love at all for Hamas, and especially for the children that are dying and the death of the Israelis on 7/10 and rooting for those poor hostages being passed around different jihadist groups in Gaza for bartering currency. Personally - As far as the latter goes, I think our kids who care enough to protest against the injustices of the Occupation and feel sorrow for the death of innocents have got it exactly right, I just wish those grown ups in the corridors of power had such pure hearts.
PM me if you need to emote and everyone around you is too close :thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well, @Hamilton is definitely not on my little list. I'm sticking to 'a misunderstanding'.

I had a big falling out with another poster recently and we managed to sort it out. Remember that the 'voice' is missing on a text forum. My own jokes sometimes miss the mark and I've had my collar felt by two of the moderators in the past. Ahem.
Likewise Harry. But to be clear, the gentleman in question deliberately omitted a line from my post about the kids just marching for peace and then proceeded to make the very same point in his post back to me.

Personally, I think that the practice of selecting parts of comments when quoting another poster should be disabled. I’m sure that’s harder to do than I would expect.

Either way, maybe @Zeberdi could at least admit that this happened and we could all move on. As I say, I do read his posts and take on board his points, so was disappointed to be on the receiving end of a salvo.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here