Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton & Hove Children walk out in Solidarity for Peace, or half a day skiving.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a councillor in this city, reading some of these comments saddens me as to what this place has become. I am ashamed & embarrassed as to what these kids did yesterday. A day off from school to support a war in another country? Was there a day off for the others. Perhaps teachers should take a day off for the hostages and the families of those murdered. If you wish to do something positive pop over to Gaza kids & ask those nice terrorists from Gaza to stop firing missiles from schools or behind their citizens and see where it gets you.
Hopefully there will be fines for those that skipped school
Crikey. I thought you'd flounced after having branded NSC anti-Semitic for your completely one-eyed reasons.

Shouldn't you be looking after the new staff you employed the day after Thick Lizzy became PM that you would have had to sack after her 'enabling' polices, alone with her good self, were thrown into the sea?

Anyway, go on, tell us a racist joke.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I agree with you actually, I was more supporting @Guinness Boy's concept of 'not picking sides'.

And yeah, like all protests (and I've been on loads in my time) it will achieve f*** all except give the kids a half-day off.

As a councillor in this city, reading some of these comments saddens me as to what this place has become. I am ashamed & embarrassed as to what these kids did yesterday. A day off from school to support a war in another country? Was there a day off for the others. Perhaps teachers should take a day off for the hostages and the families of those murdered. If you wish to do something positive pop over to Gaza kids & ask those nice terrorists from Gaza to stop firing missiles from schools or behind their citizens and see where it gets you.
Who are these belcheeses?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As a councillor in this city, reading some of these comments saddens me as to what this place has become.
"This place" is a place that you publicly left. Thus it shouldn't matter what the comments are. You're not here anymore.

There's never been anything wrong with robust discussion that is framed in civility. To expect consensus on such a complex and emotive topic would be naive at best.

I've read some positions on the thread that I don't personally share, but they've informed me, not saddened me.

You can't play the councillor card here. Your opinion is no more or less important than that of anyone else. (Arguably less as you're officially not here anymore, but we've already done that.)

What is it with involvement in local politics that gives some people an inflated view of themselves and turns them into egotists?

You even had the sad NSC precedent warning to learn from of a twice-unsuccessful local candidate whose actions and manner of departure made him more disliked on here across the political divide than the majority of Palace posters!

NSC as a whole has always been more important than any one viewpoint. That's what gives it its power.

We can even ignore threads on here now should we wish. There's every opportunity to avoid conflict with posters or topics.

Having said all that and with the season of goodwill to all men just around the corner, I'll throw out a conciliatory line to close.

If you decide to return permanently and keep your username, park the local politics at the NSC door and stick to it.

Most on here know who you are anyway and you've already expressed your own position in detail with circumstances.

Contribute to the site as you were with the predictions competition and in other threads and you'll be appreciated for that.

We've all made mistakes in our pasts. People should be given the chance to move on from what they've said and done.

You're no different.

But in doing so, a little humility with some self-reflection from the outset wouldn't hurt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And people vote for this????
Swing voters win seats. Shit candidates lose them. By and large. However, for one party the core support will always vote for whatever lummox is wearing a particular coloured rosette. We know what colour I'm talking about here. The other main party has a fractious core vote who 'secretly' hanker for the reinstatement of clause four, although they do tolerate fools from time to time.

Sometimes it's a tough call to decide between them, but I've always avoided siding with the party that always tolerates the racists, homophobes and other alien life forms.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"This place" is a place that you publicly left. Thus it shouldn't matter what the comments are. You're not here anymore.

There's never been anything wrong with robust discussion that is framed in civility. To expect consensus on such a complex and emotive topic would be naive at best.

I've read some positions on the thread that I don't personally share, but they've informed me, not saddened me.

You can't play the councillor card here. Your opinion is no more or less important than that of anyone else. (Arguably less as you're officially not here anymore, but we've already done that.)

What is it with involvement in local politics that gives some people an inflated view of themselves and turns them into egotists?

You even had the sad NSC precedent warning to learn from of a twice-unsuccessful local candidate whose actions and manner of departure made him more disliked on here across the political divide than the majority of Palace posters!

NSC as a whole has always been more important than any one viewpoint. That's what gives it its power.

We can even ignore threads on here now should we wish. There's every opportunity to avoid conflict with posters or topics.

Having said all that and with the season of goodwill to all men just around the corner, I'll throw out a conciliatory line to close.

If you decide to return permanently and keep your username, park the local politics at the NSC door and stick to it.

Most on here know who you are anyway and you've already expressed your own position in detail with circumstances.

Contribute to the site as you were with the predictions competition and in other threads and you'll be appreciated for that.

We've all made mistakes in our pasts. People should be given the chance to move on from what they've said and done.

You're no different.

But in doing so, a little humility with some self-reflection from the outset wouldn't hurt.
Well put :love:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks for popping (back) in. A totally over the top and patronising reply, too - how lovely.

As for the teachers, maybe you've forgotten that they've recently taken a number of days off for their own personal gain - through strikes - to try to make a point. As with the children who walked out yesterday I totally support(ed) them on that, but they would be hypocrites for criticising their pupils for doing the same (especially when it's not about then, it's about OTHER kids).

As for 'what this place has become', you only have to look at some of the threads from the 2010s that have been bounced to know you're talking absolute shite. Unless you're talking about the UK in general, which has gone MASSIVELY downhill in the past 13 years. Can't think why though...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That's a "don't you know who I am" post if ever I read one.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's going well for you @Steve Foster.

Couldn't you f##k off and not come back, like you promised you would?
My reaction was to the 'alternative' username tag, but remains the same, given the edited addition to the post :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Also, what the actual fack has being a councillor got to do with your reaction? Do you read some things 'as a councillor' and other things 'as a human being'?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Also, what the actual fack has being a councillor got to do with your reaction? Do you read some things 'as a councillor' and other things 'as a human being'?
Yes.

I read this Facebook post once as a human being. It was a joke about encouraging a Muslim to kill himself by tying himself to a train track. I thought it was absolutely disgusting.

But then I imagined reading it as if I was a two bob unimportant local councillor with a sense of entitlement and hugely inflated opinion of myself, and suddenly I just couldn't stop laughing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Self-importance….bit like (ludicrously) stating you’re the richest poster on NSC.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I must've missed the Brighton kids march for Ukraine or the genocide of the Uyghurs :confused:
Or the many many thousands of Palestinians killed by Asaad in Syria & denied any rights in Jordan (which ironically was part of British mandate Palestine) & any other neighbouring Arab countries.
Still, no Jews, no news. As always

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can Councillor Ivan Lyons with a history of posting racist / Islamophobic jokes and mocking disabled people explain why he was appointed to:

Equalities, Community Safety & Human Rights Committee​

and

Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education​

Was he really the most suitable candidate that the Tories could offer? Shocking if that's the
I am not sure how making jokes about Muslims and disabled people sits with being on an equalities committee. To help me better understand this I have emailed the chair of this committee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here