Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Wolverhampton Wanderers *** Official Match Thread ***

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Beltran
And when they showed the lines they'd drawn on MOTD, they weren't even close :shrug:
They were trying to see if there was any way they could get away with another dodgy decision against Brighton, but after a long huddled conference decided that they sadly had to give this one, in the hope that it was so early in the match there’d be another chance later on to fiddle the result against us. Which proved not to be the case.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It was Webster

Thought Webbo had Costa marked out of the game and dragged off at HT. Our defence was magnificent, both in it's role as a defence and pulling in Wolves to start attacks.

Special mention to Steelie too, didn't have a lot to do but stood up when needed and pulled off a couple of brilliant saves to deny them and keep the clean sheet.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It was our biggest-ever victory in the top division, I think they said. Which is true. Our biggest win in the old first division was 4-1 v Man City, which we've bettered with 4-0s v Manchester United and West Ham. I suppose the 5-2 v Leicester was also better, as we scored more although the margin of victory is the same.

York was 7-2, by the way, not 9-2. We also beat Charlton 7-0 in the second tier in 1983.

Including a Jimmy Case hat trick and an amazing strike from Gerry Ryan (ball dropping over his shoulder, them volleyed).

Funny how I can remember games from the 80s but can't remember the results from earlier this season!! I'm only 57, but I think I might have become my dad.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You said you were worried about RDZ getting things wrong. Own it, it was stupid thing to say given we went on to win the game 6-0 and are on course for our best season ever. Honestly, are you sure football is the game for you?
I said the starting line up pre match should have faced Forest and I stand by that. I do believe he did get that line up wrong yes. It’s a fans discussion forum about the club games lineups. Others also doubted yesterdays line up or is it just me you want to dig out in cyber world?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I said the starting line up pre match should have faced Forest and I stand by that. I do believe he did get that line up wrong yes. It’s a fans discussion forum about the club games lineups. Others also doubted yesterdays line up or is it just me you want to dig out in cyber world?
He's admitted himself that he may have made a mistake, but explained why he started with the line-up he did on Weds. We'll never know if it'll have made any difference though

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Same.

Undav's reaction told the tale that it was going to be a close call so I didn't celebrate.

Then, the VAR review took so long that by the time a decision was reached, I was so over the whole thing.

It was the perfect example of how VAR, and the threat of what it might do, can destroy the joy of your team scoring a goal.
For me it was the linesman. When they're confident it's onside they run up the touchline, whereas he didn't yesterday, he lingered near the edge of the area.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't remember which thread I posted my photo of the boy who sobbed after our fifth goal.

Just to update, AFA means this is deffo an Argentina shirt, isn't it?.

1682853714336.png

Yep.
1682853842355.png

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
7-nil v Charlton at the Goldstone, early 80s... North Stand shut due to getting new roof..... we all stood on the East.

Are you sure? I recall being in the roof less North for this one. I do recall watching us get beat by Huddersfield and the North was closed. I might be wrong of course.
I was definitely in the north stand for the Charlton game... :)

Also, was it pre or post the '83 FA Cup, I'm thinking maybe post..?

Regardless, what lifetime memories are being created this season!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
RDZ can't win here. A lot of people were insisting on the strongest possible side for Forest. So he did it and they were dead on their feet. Everyone complained that he should have rested players.

So now he rest the regulars, and everybody complains again...
Everybody complains, you say?
Complains about yesterday's team selection?
Are you on drugs?
Can I have some?
:ROFLMAO::moo:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's admitted himself that he may have made a mistake, but explained why he started with the line-up he did on Weds. We'll never know if it'll have made any difference though
Even if he did make a mistake, so what?

I'm sure some posters spend all their waking hours trying to find a justification for demonstrating our manager is shitehouse.

(I'm not talking about you by the way)

Yes I appreciate this is a football forum and it is all about opinions, but as far as I can see, among the hundred, perhaps thousands of calls RDZ has made so far as our manager, errors are few and far between.

So personally if occasionally he drops a bollock I'm not going to lose any sleep about it.

(Apart from the one where he let March take another penalty in a shoot out. De Zerbi OUT!!!!)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Are you sure? I recall being in the roof less North for this one. I do recall watching us get beat by Huddersfield and the North was closed. I might be wrong of course.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The only game I ever experienced some violence. My mate and I was on the Shoreham direction side at Hove Station when a large crowd of Charlton, obviously on the wrong platform, saw us and surrounded the two of us. Got away with just a couple of punches to the head thankfully.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I was definitely in the north stand for the Charlton game... :)

Also, was it pre or post the '83 FA Cup, I'm thinking maybe post..?

Regardless, what lifetime memories are being created this season!!
It was post... Oct 83... we had a right kerfuffle in Goldstone Lane when the Charlton fans decided to 'ave a go.... the only reason we would have been in the East is if the North was shut, maybe some new roof prep was going on.... we would never have gone there if the North was open, the North was our home.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That's not necessarily correct with regard to Gilmour.
RDZ fessed up after the match and admitted he was wrong in having previously underestimated the level of Gilmour's quality.
I’m pretty sure he wasn’t referring to the level of Gilmour’s quality as a footballer and didn’t say anything about that tbh -

De Zerbi said after the 3-1 loss at Manchester City, ” Caicedo and Mac Allister are two big players for us. He (Gilmour) has to find the space to play and I have to give him more space but it is difficult”. It is a dilemma that managers often have when you are playing one game a week - finding a balance between nurturing young players by giving them minutes or just putting forward your best XI from week to week.

My interpretation of his comment after the Wolves match was that he musing that perhaps it was unfair not to have given Gilmour more minutes anyway despite that, which is rather a question of how to manage Gilmour’s career expectations and development as opposed to not recognising the level of his quality. I don’t believe for one minute RDZ underestimates the level of any of his players - he watches them in training day in and day out as does the rest of the coaching team.

In any event, I don’t think we should interpret RDZ’s rather endearing tendency to inflate his ‘mia culpas’ as literally being in response to ‘mistakes’ he has made as such but rather as humble regrets that he could have done more and will always want to do more for his players - which is a reflection of his passion to seek ‘la perfezione‘ in all of them and especially in his own coaching performance 😉

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No.
10.1 v Wisbech in the cup followed by 9.0 v Southend in the league a week later.
I was there for both!
I couldn’t see Paul Barber forgetting to send off our exemption for the preliminaries of the FA cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here