Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Wolverhampton Wanderers *** Official Match Thread ***

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That was the wanker Diego Costa, who was preventing Veltman getting up.
From what I could see, it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other and both were smiling when they got up. It could have done us a favour that the game was eventually stopped at that point as Wolves had just made a break into a dangerous area just inside the 30 yd area and had a rare moment of momentum (although I think we had made the block just before the ref blew the whistle)

(Diego is still a w@nker though 🙂)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The performance today might give RDZ a bit of a selection headache for the next game. With Gilmour, Undav and Enciso having such a fantastic game, it'll be hard to send them back to the bench.

Good problem to have.
With 3 matches a week isn’t it until the end of the season? I’m sure they’ll get their chance - the 5 sub change today won’t be the first before the remaining matches are played out - we still have injuries and fatigue issues to contend with.

Re Gilmour, Undav and Enciso in particular- I agree they had a great match as lots of us have noted above but I am pretty sure RDZ did not see anything from any of them he hadn’t already seen in training otherwise they wouldn’t have started. All three have struggled to get a start this season in the face of the excellence of Ferguson, Mitoma, Mackie and Moises et al and hats off to them for training hard despite that and turning up when needed.

If (that’s an ‘if’ folks!) we qualify for Europe, rotating a deeper squad will not only be a management tactic used more frequently but I suspect will be absolutely necessary for the reasons we’ve seen this week (contrary to some NSCers, I actually thought it was a clever line up today by RDZ btw given our fatigue and injury issues)

- I think our biggest challenge will be how next season we will afford to maintain a squad of the size and quality we are now seeing in the last part of this season and how we need to go deeper still not with stuffing but real quality - Although given Brighton’s track record of excellent management and development, I suspect too that will be a challenge that will be well met.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The performance today might give RDZ a bit of a selection headache for the next game. With Gilmour, Undav and Enciso having such a fantastic game, it'll be hard to send them back to the bench.

Good problem to have.
Yep, especially at this stage of the season with an exhausting fixture list ahead!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Howard Webb was talking last week about for decisions taking 30 seconds and if there's no clear and obvious error in that time they should stick with the on field decision.

That was microscopes out for 240 seconds at least. Ridiculous.
we joked that Howard Webb has instructed the VAR officials, that before they disallow any more Brighton goals, they have to call him first to approve it.
He doesn't want to be making any more trips to the Amex.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yesterday was just the absolutely perfect Brighton day. Met a couple of old Goldstone days mates for some beer in the sunshine at The Swan and then a pie and pint on the concourse. A game in which we dominated from start to finish, took our chances well (thought the first was offside, was delighted to be proved wrong) and in which Wolves were comically bad at playing out and ball retention. A half time chat with @Bozza and others already knowing three points were in the bag, two more goals, beer in the sunshine after the game and a final celebratory pint when I took the dog out later and "accidentally" fell into The Foghorn.

All of which beer is why I'm only writing this up now :lol:

There have been more significant games (Doncaster, Wigan), there have been other games where we've been able to count on three points from early on (Blackpool under Poyet, Chelsea this season, Leeds when we were three or four up at half time) but I've never had that perfect combination of a great social day and totally normal heart rate before. More of this please.

Hard to pick between Gross and Gilmour for MotM - big shout to Undav too who was fantastic.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Albion used to trounce teams on a regular basis in the mid-70s. The York City and Walsall games, I think, were about a month or so apart.

I was trying to think of the last 6-0 league win. Seems like a rare scoreline for us. Then I remembered the first match at Withdean. I think we have to go back to Colchester United and Chester in the mid 70s for another one.
MAnsfield? in the first game at Withdean is the only 6-0 I can remember.

Leyton Orient 4-4 the Goldstone is the highest score I can recall, for actually being there Anyway

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Leyton Orient 4-4 the Goldstone is the highest score I can recall, for actually being there Anyway
We beat Blackpool 6-1 in the Championship 10 years ago, scoring all 7 goals.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

7-nil v Charlton at the Goldstone, early 80s... North Stand shut due to getting new roof..... we all stood on the East.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
As the Forest fan posted earlier this week - please put 6 past Wolves and Southampton for us - part one done

Though should be 7 versus the Saints

Last games I have been to have been 3-0 Liverpool, 4-0 Hammers, 5-0 Grimsby, 6-0 Wolves and I never even had any cash on 6-0 either yesterday though had texted the prediction to a Man Utd fan!

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
We aren’t in the final and didn’t beat Forest :shrug:
You said you were worried about RDZ getting things wrong. Own it, it was stupid thing to say given we went on to win the game 6-0 and are on course for our best season ever. Honestly, are you sure football is the game for you?

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
With 3 matches a week isn’t it until the end of the season? I’m sure they’ll get their chance - the 5 sub change today won’t be the first before the remaining matches are played out - we still have injuries and fatigue issues to contend with.

Re Gilmour, Undav and Enciso in particular- I agree they had a great match as lots of us have noted above but I am pretty sure RDZ did not see anything from any of them he hadn’t already seen in training otherwise they wouldn’t have started. All three have struggled to get a start this season in the face of the excellence of Ferguson, Mitoma, Mackie and Moises et al and hats off to them for training hard despite that and turning up when needed.

If (that’s an ‘if’ folks!) we qualify for Europe, rotating a deeper squad will not only be a management tactic used more frequently but I suspect will be absolutely necessary for the reasons we’ve seen this week (contrary to some NSCers, I actually thought it was a clever line up today by RDZ btw given our fatigue and injury issues)

- I think our biggest challenge will be how next season we will afford to maintain a squad of the size and quality we are now seeing in the last part of this season and how we need to go deeper still not with stuffing but real quality - Although given Brighton’s track record of excellent management and development, I suspect too that will be a challenge that will be well met.
That's not necessarily correct with regard to Gilmour.
RDZ fessed up after the match and admitted he was wrong in having previously underestimated the level of Gilmour's quality.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Howard Webb was talking last week about for decisions taking 30 seconds and if there's no clear and obvious error in that time they should stick with the on field decision.

That was microscopes out for 240 seconds at least. Ridiculous.
And when they showed the lines they'd drawn on MOTD, they weren't even close :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here