Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham United *** Official Match Thread ***

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sanchez’s form has dropped this season. Steele has looked better IMO. Great chance for the lad.
That's kind of why it's a massive call by RDZ.

Sanchez's ceiling as a keeper is far higher than Steele's but if RDZ feels that Steele is currently training and playing better than Sanchez he has to decide to stick with the under performing better keeper or the better performing weaker keeper.

The problem is goalkeeper's aren't like outfield players who can come into and out of the starting line ups on a game by game basis or subbed into or out of games on a game to game basis. They're either in or out and if they're in they need to be in for a while otherwise the defense and then the whole team can become destabilised.

That's why it's a huge call if Steele is starting on merit rather than there being an injury or disciplinary issue with Sanchez(which the more I think about it seems unlikely). If Steele is starting as a kick up the backside for Sanchez but actually plays really well then it would be very harsh to drop him but that would mean committing medium - long term with the lower calibre keeper.

None of that is to say that Steele doesn't deserve a shot, he's been an excellent deputy and if called into meaningful action I hope he plays fantastically and keeps a clean sheet.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I like Steele, glad he's getting a chance, and at least we know he can save a penalty.

But after falling out with Trossard, is anybody else just a little worried about De Zerbi upsetting some players? Just hoping it's not a pattern.

Hopefully Sanchez will use this as motivation to knuckle down and fight for his place.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Sanchez walking past the team in the tunnel with a face like a slapped arse.
Although maybe it's one of his many emotion faces.
Yeah, Sanchez doesn't seem to have a lot of range when it comes to facial expressions

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My Mackem mate reckons he is one of the worst goalkeepers in their club’s history. I think he has done really well with us and I’m supporting the manager.
I'm not too bothered about his spell at Sunderland. horses for courses and all that. Cucurella was great for us and has been awful for Chelsea. Bissouma similar but at Spurs.

It's a big call because Sanchez is the better keeper even if their respective form currently says differently. You can't chop and change keepers every other game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here