Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Outplayed for 20mins. Then matched them for rest of game. However all our midfielders very poor and certainly didnt offer anything positive in attack.
Hard to understand the point in subs coming on so late. We were one down and crying out with 20mins plus to go for somebody to play next to Welbeck and Lamptey on.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That’s one big contributory reason why Conte won’t win the EPL or CL at Spuds. When they came up against equally expensive players (Arsenal) they were destroyed. A solid defence/midfield of 8 big units, Son/Kane nicking winners isn’t a football philosophy.

The NLD is a home team game, don’t think the away team has won since 2011 in the league.

Conte has beaten City/Arsenal/drew x 2 with Liverpool last season/drew with Chelsea away this not a terrible record

No one is getting close to City, they just have ridiculous depth.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They may well do but if Erling Haaland picks up a bad injury then everything changes. Liverpool selling Sadio Mane was a mistake that Klopp probably regrets now.

Mane insisted on going for a new challenge. He wanted the win a stack of German doubles at the end of his career. And what a career, he literally won the lot with Liverpool, AFCON and now probably half a dozen doubles.

Going back to tonight’s high spending Spuds, one League Cup in 31 years of hurt.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The NLD is a home team game, don’t think the away team has won since 2011 in the league.

Conte has beaten City/Arsenal/drew x 2 with Liverpool last season/drew with Chelsea away this not a terrible record

No one is getting close to City, they just have ridiculous depth.

Until Newcastle catch up with them, but it’ll take a while. Boehly looks like he’s spending vast before Uefa and the EPL bring in new rules soon.

I can’t see Tottenham, Manure or Liverpool winning the big prizes for years to come. Haaland’s just 22. Guardiola is now apparently breaking his own rule about moving on in year or two.

My Spurs season ticket holder mate had thought they were on the cusp of glory with the £1b stadium and Conte.

Frustrating as there wasn’t much between the teams. Mac a little off his top levels. Welbeck who overall had a good game I’m afraid had to score with that great chance in the second half. Knew it wasn’t going to be our day when that missed. De Zerbi right to talk up a reasonably positive display but a missed opportunity. Spurs were there to be taken given their fixture overload. We go again

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Until Newcastle catch up with them, but it’ll take a while. Boehly looks like he’s spending vast before Uefa and the EPL bring in new rules soon.

I can’t see Tottenham, Manure or Liverpool winning the big prizes for years to come. Haaland’s just 22. Guardiola is now apparently breaking his own rule about moving on in year or two.

My Spurs season ticket holder mate had thought they were on the cusp of glory with the £1b stadium and Conte.

Surely no one can have a go at Tottenham (Arsenal / Brighton the same) trying to do it the right way and build a stadium/training ground rather than just spending on players?

Conte has had 2 windows and already improved the side and squad, considering we had Winks/Sissoko as the midfield pairings not so long ago we are heading in the right direction but need more players to improve the squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They may well do but if Erling Haaland picks up a bad injury then everything changes. Liverpool selling Sadio Mane was a mistake that Klopp probably regrets now.

Ermm ...... I thought Citeh were rather good, and won several titles before Haaland arrived on the scene. They just didn't win games by quite so many goals!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Surely no one can have a go at Tottenham (Arsenal / Brighton the same) trying to do it the right way and build a stadium/training ground rather than just spending on players?

Conte has had 2 windows and already improved the side and squad, considering we had Winks/Sissoko as the midfield pairings not so long ago we are heading in the right direction but need more players to improve the squad.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Frustrating one, but think Spurs set up well to frustrate us and pressure us. As the game went on a few key players heads dropped and was always going to be a struggle.

I did hear from a good source that although De Zerbis English is good, most of his staff have minimal English which brings a bit of a learning curve to training so hope that gets fixed quickly

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My take on it is that was a football game no one ever needs to watch again.

I thought Serie A had moved on. But two Italian coaches have produced the worst Premier League game of the week. Our passing was awful, our first touch woeful and (understandably) the fluidity that had been seen latterly under Potter was missing.

We can fix all that. Spurs? Spurs looked like us under Hughton, only with better players.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Painful to watch that was. We were poor all over the pitch, stupid mistakes at the back with all the dicking about, Caicedo definitely should've come off, Trossard was pretty much absent throughout, subs were too late.
Mitoma looked a handful when he came on and a couple of decent saves from Sanchez, but that's about it.

Pretty much my take on it too

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Watched it on a big telly with a Spurs mate. He wasn't impressed by their performance, I wasn't excited by ours. Neither team seemed to play their normal game. All rather underwhelming - just one of those forgettable games really.

However, I did win my bet with him that Kane would win a soft free-kick within the first five minutes....

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

I remember walking away from WHL in our second season of PL football the game where we played very defensively and looked like we were going to nick a point until we conceded in the 86th minute. Walking to the coach Spurs fans were saying how can you watch that cr*p. Well today despite winning I have to say Spurs football was not pretty tonight , no flair or character quite a lot of professional fouls and acting I felt things had gone full circle.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The Liverpool net spend is on a par with Spuds, despite the former having greater income through CL campaigns and the owners have not put a cent to subsidise fees/wages. The fans slagged off Lewis and Levy, but they’re spending significantly.

You and I had a recent nsc discussion about Arsenal’s colossal spending spree, the suspicion in football circles that they’re breaking the financial rules. So touchy a subject that Arteta has stuck his two pennies worth in at press conferences.

5B630253-ED19-4932-AB7D-76E1138BA9FD.png

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
When Spurs come to town and stick 10 men behind the ball for 70min you know you are doing something right

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My take on it is that was a football game no one ever needs to watch again.

I thought Serie A had moved on. But two Italian coaches have produced the worst Premier League game of the week. Our passing was awful, our first touch woeful and (understandably) the fluidity that had been seen latterly under Potter was missing.

We can fix all that. Spurs? Spurs looked like us under Hughton, only with better players.

Agree , there was only one team trying to play the beautiful game tonight.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Alright, we heard you the first time :wink:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think Potter would have noticed that our midfield was being swamped in the first 20 minutes and changed something.

We wondered 'what would Potter do' during the game, too. However it's not often a team of Tottenhams calibre sit with such a low block as if fighting for survival. It's often very hard trying to score against that kind of low block if the bottom teams do it, let alone bloody Tottenham. They may sneak champions lge this season but it won't be that fun to watch

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I remember walking away from WHL in our second season of PL football the game where we played very defensively and looked like we were going to nick a point until we conceded in the 86th minute. Walking to the coach Spurs fans were saying how can you watch that cr*p. Well today despite winning I have to say Spurs football was not pretty tonight , no flair or character quite a lot of professional fouls and acting I felt things had gone full circle.

I think you are underestimating the affects of the last few days on the players, Son managed to kill 2/3 moves as well.

The Liverpool net spend is on a par with Spuds, despite the former having greater income through CL campaigns and the owners have not put a cent to subsidise fees/wages. The fans slagged off Lewis and Levy, but they’re spending significantly.

You and I had a recent nsc discussion about Arsenal’s colossal spending spree, the suspicion in football circles that they’re breaking the financial rules. So touchy a subject that Arteta has stuck his two pennies worth in at press conferences.

View attachment 152617

The issue most had with Levy was he stuck his nose into the footballing side of things, he’s stopped now

I’m not going to look it out now, but I think till last season Brighton had a higher 5 year net spend than Spurs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here